Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
Thala
Yellow Belt
Languages: Native: English (N), Bulgarian (N)
Learning: Greek (A1), Russian (A2)
On hold: Spanish (B1)
Future: Italian, German, Portuguese, Norweigan, Korean, Mandarin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=146347

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Thala » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:24 am

Hey everyone!

I'm joining because I need a place to keep track of my progress and to share tips with fellow language learners. I've dabbled in many languages, but the main one I'm learning now is Greek :)
3 x
Language Transfer Greek: 120 / 120 (120/120 lessons)
Greek iTalki Lessons: 9 / 100 (9/100 lessons)
Russian iTalki Lessons: 11 / 100 (11/100 lessons)

Heiopei
White Belt
Languages: :
N: German
~C: English
~B: Japanese
Beginner: French
Wish List: Chinese, Greek, Greenlandic, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10899

Postby Heiopei » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Howdy!

I am joining this forum in the search for company, to travel the vast world of foreign languages. Currently I'm learning French at a beginner level and discovering sometimes familiar, sometimes étrange vocabulary. Before that I learned Japanese and had a great time with the wonderful WaniKani - community. I hope we will get along well!
4 x
--- French ---
: 24 / 500 Core 5k Vocabulary
: 3 / 17 PONS Basic Voculary

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months and decided to write my first post. :-)

I was inspired to learn a second language by my grandma who grew up speaking 4 or 5 languages. It was a fortunate happenstance of her growing up on a bordering region between China and Russia in the pre-WW2 era where school kids from different countries would meet up and somehow communicate with each other. She never really thought about it but she could naturally speak with the other children in their respective languages.

The problem is I don't feel I'm inherently very good at languages myself. For example, even in my native language (English), I struggle to remember words and my mind gets stuck a lot when trying to construct a sentence. However, this apparent disadvantage motivated me even more to learn a language. I thought that if I tried studying a foreign language, it might improve my brain's general ability with languages.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I'm currently learning Japanese. I'm trying to learn using audio only, just listening to stories and conversations with transcripts. I can't read Japanese yet, but I use the transcripts just so I can look up new words in the dictionary. For output, I'm trying out that approach some people advocate of avoiding early output, but I am at least trying to get some output practice by trying to pause after hearing each sentence and repeat it verbally just to get my mouth muscles used to the language, and to also help my ears pay more attention to the details of the language.
7 x

ChrisTR
Languages: English (C2), German (C2), Russian (N), Spanish (A2)

Postby ChrisTR » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Chris is here.

Originally from Russia but have been living in Berlin, Germany for the past six years. Consider myself German and would define my proficiency in German as "almost native". German in my soul, German in my behavior... even gonna change my name entirely (not kidding). A rare example, I know.

So, I speak fluently: English (C2) (that's pretty obvious though), German (C2, almost native-like with minimal to no accent and perfect grammar), Russian (native but I'm not really fond of this language because I hate the last 101 years of the Russian history...) and Spanish (A2, currently learning). Well, took some French lessons four years ago and believe I have something like A1-A2.

Current language goals: become fluent in Spanish and then French. Why? these are very common languages around the globe, I like learning languages in general, they seem to be easy to learn for me (even French! I'm good in remembering complicated grammar stuff and tiny differences). Even though I don't like Romance countries. But still like these languages:)

Goals for the future: learn Norwegian (this is my favorite country and I'm planning to move there or at least make it my second home).

I like only European languages, Germanic to be precise. I'm a big fan of the Germanic-speaking world because it corresponds my mentality completely (efficiency, punctuality, coldness etc).

Not really interested in non-European languages. Not learning languages just for fun. Well, let's say I learn them for fun AND to be able to apply my knowledge either for having fun or doing business.

Why am I here? Wanna share the experience in learning languages, ask some advice and discussuss some controversial topics like "why are there so many people who still don't speak English as a second language".

Well, guess that's it for now:)
8 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:16 am

Hi everyone, welcome to the forum! Just a reminder to read over the forum rules: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =25&t=2968 so that you can help keep this a friendly and respectful place. Good luck with your studies :)
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:25 am

It is great to see newcomers joining the Forum. I think newcomers, and also longstanding members, should be strongly encouraged to complete their language profiles so that other members of the Forum can see what their native language is and what their target languages are. Then their posts and comments on the Forum can be read with a better perspective (i.e., are they offering "native" advice, etc.?). As well, location (country or even city) adds interest and utility to profiles. I have always felt that the language profile for our members should be a compulsory part of being a member. But since it is voluntary, I don't think it is too much to ask that "all" members voluntarily comply. It would make LLorg better.
6 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

GlanniGlitterz
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (beginner), Spanish (beginner)

Postby GlanniGlitterz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi there everyone! Please, call me Glanni. It's not my real name, but one I prefer. I'm kinda shy, so I apologise if I ramble, since I'm never sure what to say. I'm almost 30, and I live in the US. I'm fluent in English, I know some Russian, and am currently attempting to learn Spanish, and Icelandic.
5 x

jackb
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12251

Postby jackb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Hi I’m Jack. I’m a monolingual (english) language learner. I’ve been lurking for a few months trying to absorb as much information as I can. I might start a log at some point to help with tracking. French is the language I’m tackling now. I have tried (and failed) to learn Spanish in the past. This is the longest l’ve stuck with a language and I’m making some progress.

Thanks for all your great posts!!
3 x

viciousvinifera
Languages: English (N), French (B1 but rusty), Mandarin (B2 but rusty), Russian (A2- current focus), Spanish (A1)

Postby viciousvinifera » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi, I'm Julia! I'm based in Portland, Oregon, and I am a native English speaker. I studied French through high school and college (B1 but rusty) and Mandarin in college and study abroad (B2 but rusty), and I am currently learning Russian (A2) primarily because it's my boyfriend's native language. Russian takes up most of my time right now but I am exploring the idea of using it to ladder to Spanish because I am traveling to South America in February (and because it's such a useful language).

Eventually I hope to be functionally fluent in Russian, Mandarin, French, and Spanish, using the ladder method if I can find enough good resources. I look forward to meeting people here and learning together!
6 x

Twyelyghte
Languages: English (native), Spanish (a1), German (a0)

Postby Twyelyghte » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:00 am

Hello, my name is Twyelyghte (middle English spelling of Twilight).
My current goal is to be bilingual. My endgoal is to be trilingual.

I am currently studying German with the hopes of being able to read some children's novels by the end of the year. I've studied Spanish 10 years ago in high school and I'm also reviewing it with the hopes of being able to bounce back to the level I was back when I was strongest in it.

Other than foreign languages, I've also began learning web development with the Odin Project a few days ago, so I guess you could say I'm learning both human and machine languages :P
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”