Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Re: Glossika Product Updates

Postby sfuqua » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:31 am

I don't think I can share files without violating copyrights, and I certainly don't want to do anything that would endanger this website. I can show you how to produce something very similar to GSR files using tts software, which is far from free to buy.
2 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Daniel_Zar
White Belt
Languages: Friulian N, Italian N, English C2, Spanish C2, French C1, German B2, Czech B1.

Postby Daniel_Zar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:02 pm

Anyone having Glossika Danish and/or Norwegian, old system? Or full Polish?

I assume it is perfectly legit to buy a second-hand copy, especially if the product isn't marketed anymore.
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native

Postby sfuqua » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:48 am

I don't have any of the ones you are interested in.
I am no lawyer, but I am pretty sure that I can't make a copy and sell it or give it away.
I am pretty sure that someone can sell a copy of physical media.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:41 am

sfuqua wrote:I don't have any of the ones you are interested in.
I am no lawyer, but I am pretty sure that I can't make a copy and sell it or give it away.

I’m sure you’re right. Electronic files cannot legally be sold on. Only the physical books could, but they are useless without the MP3’s.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:30 am

Brun Ugle wrote:

I’m sure you’re right. Electronic files cannot legally be sold on. Only the physical books could, but they are useless without the MP3’s.

Paradoxically, in most cases, selling a copy and destroying your own would be “legally wrong” (even if the law is stupid) while in several countries the distribution for free to many people would not have legal recourse for a product that is not commercially available.

But here’s the thing - if you carry out a private transaction, do not replicate the process and perform it as a one time thing - you aren’t doing something that is morally wrong and no court will ever deal with this. It’s not a thing. Copyright law hasn’t truly caught up with re-distribution of owned goods which is why there are intent clauses / harm clauses in the law. Single time redistribution doesn’t show intent to harm or actual harm, in my opinion.

But one can always ask the original editor for either permission or to publish the now no longer available material as a commercial marketing act. I will foreve be a fan of Routledge for making available their recordings.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:29 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

Paradoxically, in most cases, selling a copy and destroying your own would be “legally wrong” (even if the law is stupid) while in several countries the distribution for free to many people would not have legal recourse for a product that is not commercially available.

But here’s the thing - if you carry out a private transaction, do not replicate the process and perform it as a one time thing - you aren’t doing something that is morally wrong and no court will ever deal with this. It’s not a thing. Copyright law hasn’t truly caught up with re-distribution of owned goods which is why there are intent clauses / harm clauses in the law. Single time redistribution doesn’t show intent to harm or actual harm, in my opinion.

But one can always ask the original editor for either permission or to publish the now no longer available material as a commercial marketing act. I will foreve be a fan of Routledge for making available their recordings.

In this case though, the material is still available, just in a different form. All the recordings and PDFs have simply been chopped up and put on their website and require a subscription for most languages. So, I think Glossika would have a problem with private resale of their old courses.
2 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native

Postby sfuqua » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:04 am

There were CD versions of the audio for some courses, and I am certain those could be sold.
I'm not a fan of glossika's new business model; if their new system is better than their old one, it seems to me that they could keep the old material available for silly people like me who don't recognize the superiority of their new system.
I think they had to make their old system unavailable to force people to use their new system. ;)

Of course it is their material, and they can do whatever they want with it. If I don't like their new product, I can go elsewhere, which I have. :D
3 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

Speakeasy

Glossika Product Updates: Glossika 4.0

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Earlier today, I received the following announcement from Glossika:

Subject: [Maintenance Announcement] Glossika 4.0 is launching on July 31

Glossika 4.0 is Going Live in 2 Days

Glossika 4.0 is getting ready to release! This new release is all about giving you a more powerful and integrated learning solution to help you speak better and learn more efficiently! We will notify you of more details on July 31 together and let you know about our mid-summer sale.

And to launch our new data successfully, support will halt between 01:30 - 03:30 on Tuesday, July 30th (New York) for data migration.

• New York: July 30th (Tuesday) 01:30 - 03:30
• London: July 30th (Tuesday) 06:30 - 08:30
• Los Angeles: July 29th (Monday) 22:30- 00:30
• Taipei: July 30th (Tuesday) 13:30 - 15:30

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Best,
Team Glossika

3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:33 pm

For those members who may have missed Glossika’s latest offer (including a discount of 47%), here is a copy of the Email that I received earlier today. As a number of the links in the original Email might be related to my own Glossika account, I have deleted them.

A More Powerful and Integrated Language Learning Solution is Now Available
Glossika 4.0 has officially launched. This new release is all about giving you a more powerful and integrated language learning solution to help you speak better and learn more efficiently! I'd like to let you know how you can benefit from Glossika 4.0 and would also like to invite you to try the new platform!

Included in this email:
• Our Integrated Solution
• Learn New items and Review previous Content
• Mid-Summer Special Offer

Start My 7-Day Free Trial on Glossika 4.0
NOTE from Speakeasy: “Start My 7-Day Free Trial” leads to Glossika’s Login portal
https://ai.glossika.com/login

Integrated Solution: Active training with built-in typing, dictation, listening and recording modes
Jumping into listening and speaking training right from the beginning can be too intimidating for most people. We've built a text-based system (visual) to assist the learner on their path to sound awareness of words within sentences.
Glossika 0.JPG

How does it work?
You enter the sentence, whether in Latin script or original script, as accurately as possible. If you can't remember the sentence, then you'll get a hint how to answer. Incorrect answers tells the algorithm that this item is more difficult for you, and you'll get plenty of practice in getting the answer correct. In fact, it's okay to be incorrect and there are no points counted against you. We're confident that the more you're incorrect, the better you'll learn.

Our tests show that moving from passive to active training, greatly increases recall and retention. And now you can keep track of everything you've learned.

Learn New Items or Review previous Content
Many Glossika users have expressed that they prefer doing review and new sentences at different specific times since their head is in a different learning mood. We've decided this is a great idea, so we've split review and new into separate training areas. Every time you return to Glossika, clear as many of your review items as you can. If there's nothing left to do, you'll be prompted to start new items. Or you can start new sentences any time you want.

Best Offer of the Year - Get More for Less!
Glossika 2.JPG

To celebrate the launch of Glossika 4.0, we'd like to offer you a 47% off discount to upgrade to the annual plan ー which comes out to 13.24 USD per month billed once at 158.93 USD.

What you'll get by upgrading:
• Unlimited Typing Practice
• Unlimited Dictation Practice
• Unlimited Listening Practice
• Unlimited Recording Practice
• Memory Tracking Statistics (updated every day!)
• Vocabulary Tracking (our next release coming soon!)
Hurry up, this is the best offer of the year and it expires in 7 days!

USE CODE: ANNUAL-GLOSSIKA-V4
(The code is only available for use on the annual plan!)

Let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,
Michael Campbell, Glossika Founder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 pm

Lots of discussion on FB about people wanting the option to skip the typing part of Glossika online. All I know is I miss the old Glossika still. ;)
7 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”