Persistence is the Key to Success (en, de,esp)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Tyler Durden
Languages: Russian(N), English(C1), German(B1), Spanish(A1)

Persistence is the Key to Success (en, de,esp)

Postby Tyler Durden » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:05 pm

Hello everyone!
I have finally pulled myself together and decided to start my personal log after years and years devouring every single word from old HTAL members, then sponging up and copying mind-blowing sentences and utterances of local polyglots.
It has been almost 10 years since I started learning English, admittedly by fits and starts, but I still cannot call myself an assertive speaker, reader, listener, let alone writer. ( a hard-case newbie, I know :D ). Ten years have passed in the blink of an eye and I’m still nowhere where I should be. Probably for a variety of reasons, but all boils down to pretty much one reason. Too much talking – not enough action. For all this time that I had dedicated to English, I think even my home cat could have spoken it at the same level if not better than me)). I am craving for new challenges, hungry for new small victories and tough battles ahead of me.
Without further ado, I have made a decision to pass a Cambridge CAE exam. I will not accept any result but grade A. Deadline – mid September 2019
The stretch goal is - acquire the level of English, which is highly descriptive, close to the level of
of well educated American speakers, ably convey my own ideas and paraphrase them if necessary. Talk to people from different walks of life about any topic without a strain.

As far as German is concerned, I’m doing my best to have a daily practice of it, at least 30 minutes a day, in order to keep the rust at bay. I found a nice cartoon in German, called “Der kleine Nick” with interesting dialogs and colloquial expressions.
As for Spanish, I concede that I’ve only been dabbling in it and have not pursued any serious goals. From time to time I happen to speak Spanish with my sister, who has been living in Peru for 5 years, that’s just it. I think, I’ll have to leave Spanish on the back burner till the end of January.
Also, it’s been my lifelong dream to learn Polish some day)) Hopefully, I’ll be able to dedicate at least 15 minutes for starters to goof around with it)
English strategy.
1. Ready for advanced, coursebook
2. Close-up CAE
3. Testbuilder CAE, other practice tests
4. Anki, mind maps
5. Italki tutor for writing and speaking practice.
6. Plus, some extra resources for fun: podcasts, tv series, youtube videos, cnn 10
7. Immerse myself in the language meeting with friends in the virtual word and using augmented reality applications

de.
I moechte hier mein Deutsch verbessern, da ich bisher nur gelesen, Vokabel gelernt habe und etwas Deutsch einmal die Woche spreche. Ich habe einen Freund, den ich ab und zu auf Deutsch sprechen kann, aber ich schreibe auf Deutsch so gut wie nie. Ich bemuehe mich Deutsch wenigstens 30 Minuten pro Tag zu ueben um zu ein B1 Niveau zu bekommen.
German strategy.
1. Lagune B1 coursebook
2. Easy German, youtube series
3. Jojo sucht das Glueck
4. Anki
esp.
Me gustaria empezar a escribir en Espanol aqui.
No hablo muy bien, pero puedo entender algunas palabras. hace mucho que no tengo la oportunidad de practicar
This is the very first log I have ever posted online and I will keep posting reports of my journey.
7 x

Skynet
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Re: Persistence is the Key to Success (en, de,esp)

Postby Skynet » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:52 pm

Welcome!

I must admit that I was confused by your title as it is eerily similar to "Persistence is Key (EN/DE)" by hedgehog.chess.

I scored 229 on my CPE in 2015 and am willing to help you in your CAE speaking endeavours with weekly Skype conversations in British English. My biggest issue is figuring out in which of Russia's eleven time zones you reside! :lol:

rdearman wrote:WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: (Yes/No "Your native language")

Skynet wrote:WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGES: YES! Shona & English. Expect delays in getting feedback - I am exceptionally busy.

My debt is paid, @rdearman.

Oh, I had almost forgotten to state that I preferred 'The Narrator' to Tyler's character in Fight Club. ;)
1 x

Tyler Durden
Languages: Russian(N), English(C1), German(B1), Spanish(A1)

Re: Persistence is the Key to Success (en, de,esp)

Postby Tyler Durden » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:18 pm

Skynet wrote:Welcome!

I must admit that I was confused by your title as it is eerily similar to "Persistence is Key (EN/DE)" by hedgehog.chess.

Oops, didn't notice that. If it causes confusion I could change that with the administrator consent. It was the first thing that came to mind)

I scored 229 on my CPE in 2015 and am willing to help you in your CAE speaking endeavours with weekly Skype conversations in British English. My biggest issue is figuring out in which of Russia's eleven time zones you reside! :lol:

Wow, impressive! 229 out 230? Can I borrow your brain?)) Sure, anytime) any help is appreciated)
I reside in Moscow, UTC+3

rdearman wrote:WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: (Yes/No "Your native language")

Skynet wrote:WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGES: YES! Shona & English. Expect delays in getting feedback - I am exceptionally busy.

My debt is paid, @rdearman.

Oh, I had almost forgotten to state that I preferred 'The Narrator' to Tyler's character in Fight Club. ;)

:lol: yeah, epic movie ever )
0 x

Return to “Language logs”