Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
lusan
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native), English, Polish(Intermediate), French(learning)

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

Postby lusan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Cavesa wrote:
lusan wrote:Sure, I plan to drop out of RFI after several months of using it. I still need to build my voca further. Maybe by year end.

What about reading the transcript first and then just listen? Will that work? What about a quick check to the transcript for unknown words?

It depends on your goals. If picking up the vocabulary is the priority now, then sure, read the transcript, look up stuff, then listen. RFI has a good reputation concerning the vocab it teaches. But don't expect that much of listening progress from this. Your brain will rely on what is easier, which is either reading or remembering what you've just read, not on working with the sound it hears.

No matter at what point you start with more focus on listening, it will be hard. That is why vast majority of English learners never progresses from tv series with subtitles to those without (and that is a whole generation of people I am talking about. My generation), and they struggle with a lot of other kinds of listening exposure as a consequence. They try to turn them off, feel discouraged after ten minutes like "I don't want to waste my time, I should stick to the subtitles for a little longer, then try again", and turn them on again. They try several times before giving up and just accepting "I am just not that good at languages". The transcript to the easier videos is the same thing.

The trick is very simple. Even if you focus on vocab building now and use the transcripts a lot (which is a valid learning strategy), the switch to the real listening training will be hard at first no matter when you do it. Giving your brain enough time to get used to it, that is the trick.

If you are not around B2 yet, don't worry too much about it and use anything you like to get to that point. But when you're there, you will have to either accept some imperfection and initial discomfort, or get stuck forever.

I loved and reflected upon you advice. I will be dropping all subtitles from now on. I will do it for both Polish and French. The point is that these are listening training objectives and you convinced me that having subtitles will easily drop into reading tasks. Today I tried watching Rodzinka. pl. This is a Polish serial which have more than 12 years. I understood about 80 % of the first episode. Good enough as far as I am concerned to start. Likewise I will do RFI but a little different. As an experiment, I plan to use WorkAudioBook and to do repetitive 1 min cuts of RFI episodes. Thanks for your advice.

The vocabulary building for French will be done someother way.
1 x

DaveAgain
Green Belt
Languages: English (native), French (intermediate), German (beginner).

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:31 am

esprit de clocher > parochial attitude

https://www.wordreference.com/fren/espr ... %20clocher

Bien que le nouveau champion ne fût pas un ressortissant de la ville au sens étroit du mot, l'esprit de clocher se réveilla très fort.
quote from le joueur d'échecs, by Stefan Zweig.
2 x

DaveAgain
Green Belt

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 am

'feu' can mean late/deceased.

https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/feu#Adjectif_2
... deux qualités que feu mon père possédait au plus haut degré.
quote from le joueur d'échecs by Stefan Zweig.
2 x

Thinh_le2306
Languages: Vietnamese (native)
English (C1 level - 7.0 IELTS)
French (beginner)

Postby Thinh_le2306 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Bonsoir.
Comment allez-vous?
Mon nom est Thinh. Je suis Vietnamien. Je veux étudier le français. Mon français n'est pas bien. Pardon! :D.
I'm sorry, my French level is very basic so I can't really express my idea any further. I'm a novice here and a newbie in this language. I studied French back in secondary school but it went nowhere due to my laziness and the lack of commitment, motivation and passion. Now I want to give it another try and hope you guys can help me.
Thank you very much in advance.
5 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Thinh_le2306 wrote:Bonsoir.
Comment allez-vous?
Mon nom est Thinh. Je suis Vietnamien. Je veux étudier le français. Mon français n'est pas bien. Pardon! :D.
I'm sorry, my French level is very basic so I can't really express my idea any further. I'm a novice here and a newbie in this language. I studied French back in secondary school but it went nowhere due to my laziness and the lack of commitment, motivation and passion. Now I want to give it another try and hope you guys can help me.
Thank you very much in advance.

Bienvenue Thinh
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

lusan
Orange Belt

Postby lusan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:59 pm

Any suggestion for production in French?

Where am I? After 9 months of study, I estimated that I probably reached the following levels in the skill set:

Reading: B1 - No problem reading the news, and blogs
Listening: B1 - 60-80 % understanding of TED talks in French without subtitles.
Writing: A2 - I can write notes and email in proper french if I want to. But I have no need.
Speaking: Terrible. Specially because Polish is interfering with French. I joined a French group and I am having a tough time.

Done:
Assimil with Ease - First wave
Hugo French in 3 months
501 French verbs - all into Anki
All verb conjugations

Currently working on:
Les 500 Exercices de Phonetiques
French demystified
Listening: TED talks and RFI -Journal en francais facile
Reading a set of Lectures Progressives FLE - From A2 to B1

However, I need to work on speaking production. I do not want to take italki lessons because I think it is premature. I would love a systematic production method. Is French FSI a path forward? Something else? I feel that I need to do a bunch of drills. Suggestions appreciated.
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:21 pm

I would suggest you give FSI a try and see what happens. And you don't have to commit yourself to reciting the whole series. Try only a part at first.
You are doing quite well, it seems to me, so keep up the good work :!:
1 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

lusan
Orange Belt

Postby lusan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:28 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:I would suggest you give FSI a try and see what happens. And you don't have to commit yourself to reciting the whole series. Try only a part at first.
You are doing quite well, it seems to me, so keep up the good work :!:

I got a copy of the fsi Basic course and the audio. I just dedicated 1 hours. I found it very intense. It requires focus and concentrations. Light in grammar and listening comprehension but heavy on drills. The good thing is since I knew the whole vocabulary, it is exactly what I wanted. I estimate that it might/could take me 6 months to complete book 1. My plan is to run through the book page by page. Of course, this is complementary to my 1 hour of listening and book reading Thanks.
1 x

DaveAgain
Green Belt

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:12 am

à la queue leu leu > in single file.

http://www.linternaute.fr/expression/la ... e-leu-leu/
Il faut imaginer le tableau : 3 régiments de cavalerie qui marchent à pied, à la queue leu-leu, en tenant leurs chevaux par la bride sur des sentiers prévus pour des chèvres.

Quote from twitter.com

"Leu" is an old form of loup (wolf). The double leu is allegedly an error that caught on:
Pourtant le redoublement du mot leu n'est qu'une erreur d'écriture, déjà tres anciennne. Il consitutue une mauvaise (ou amusante) interprétation de la vieille langue où "de" et "du" ne s'employaient pas toujours pour désigner l'appartenance: Château-Gaillard veut dire "le château de Gaillard" et Choisy-le-Roi , "Choisy du Roi". Ainsi la queue du loup était simplement "la queue le loup", et en Picardie: "la queue le leu", qu'on a fini par écrire "leu leu". Du reste Rabelais cite la forme "à la queue au loup".

Si l'expression a eu autant de vitalité c'est qu'elle servait à désigner "un jeu de petits enfans", un jeu tout bête, et toujours amplement pratiqué dans les cours d'écoles maternelles, qui consiste à courir en rang d'oignons en tenant le tablier de celiui qui précède... C'est le petit train? Bien sur!
Quote from "la puce à l'oreille (ISBN: 2715813740)
3 x

Deinonysus
Blue Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French,
   German
• Intermediate:
   Esperanto
• Beginner: Icelandic,
   Italian, Hebrew,
   Japanese, Spanish,
   Danish, Indonesian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7581

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:19 am

DaveAgain wrote:"Leu" is an old form of loup (wolf). The double leu is allegedly an error that caught on:

My favorite error that caught on (or series of errors) is:
Unicorne.
Une icorne ?
Ouais, l'icorne.
Une licorne ?
Ben, pourquoi pas ?
6 x
Diné Bizaad
: 3 / 21 Conversational Navajo Workbook
: 2 / 32 Rosetta Stone Navajo

isiXhosa
: 15 / 364 Memrise - Xhosa: an intro