Speculative fiction in multiple languages

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Speculative fiction in multiple languages

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:54 am

By chance, I came across an online magazine for speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, horror, ghost stories, etc) that publishes stories, articles, poetry, etc from around the world. Each item is published in the original language with an English translation. In some cases there is also a podcast version. I listened to part of one of the podcasts and the story was read aloud by the author, so it’s not quite the quality of a regular audiobook using a professional voice actor, but I thought the combination of original language text, English text and (in some cases) audio could be very useful for language learners. And maybe it would be interesting just to read some stories from countries whose literature is not very familiar to you.

It’s all very random and you will have to scroll through the archives to see if they have anything in a language that interests you, but a quick glance showed me they have a great variety — Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Finnish, Russian, Italian, Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, Pashto(?), Bengali(?), Swedish, Romanian, Chinese.....
20 x

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Re: Speculative fiction in multiple languages

Postby Gordafarin2 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 am

Seems like a lovely resource! What a curious name. I wonder why they named their science fiction magazine after a tea urn?
0 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”