An Opsimath's Log: DA, LA, NL, FR

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Elsa Maria's Log: Danish +

Postby cjareck » Tue May 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:I think I really need some Polish cartoons for motivation. Any suggestions?

Most of them are just dubbed from English ones but I will list some original Polish cartoons from my childhood:
- Miś uszatek - it was my favourite one
- Przygody kota Filemona - I didn't like it much back then, but not Bonifacy (the black lazy cat) is my idol ;)

You may choose also some dubbed - like "Marta mówi":

about the talking dog (I don't know the English title, unfortunately)

or "Supa strikers":

Perhaps you could profit from listening to them in English and Polish. But remember, that each translation is an interpretation and the cartoons had to be understandable for Polish children with the different cultural background than the American ones. So some things can be changed quite strongly. I've never tried to compare it.
3 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Tue May 28, 2019 9:13 pm

cjareck wrote:Most of them are just dubbed from English ones but I will list some original Polish cartoons from my childhood:

Thank you for excellent suggestions, cjareck! Miś Uszatek is adorable, and being able to comprehend it is now a goal. Now I really feel like I have something specific to work toward.

I first became aware of the magic of Polish animation when I saw the 2006 Oscar winning short film Peter and The Wolf / Piotruś i wilk and Miś Uszatek apparently comes from the same studio, Se-Ma-For.

Przygody kota Filemona also looks appealing.

Marta Mówi is Martha Speaks in English, so basically a direct translation. Since it is dubbed, the audio is easier to understand. I am not a football fan, so I will skip over Supa Strikas. I prefer shows that are more like fairy tales. Again, many thanks!
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Tue May 28, 2019 9:42 pm

No problem! If you need some help - just give me a link with timestamp and I'll what I can do about it ;)
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed May 29, 2019 1:20 pm

It might be foolish for me to work on this many languages, but I do have a lot of free time at the moment. Having a lot of free time is a weird feeling; it is certainly not a situation that I am accustomed to. Eventually, I will figure out what to do with the next phase of my life or family obligations will plop in my lap. But until then, I think that indulging in massive amounts of studying sounds like a rather good plan :)

Back to the updates:

DANISH
I still have a perfect score for the 365 Day Challenge.

At the moment, I am wrapped up in following the elections. The EU election was on Sunday and the General Election will be on June 5. I will of course refrain from discussing politics here, so that's enough about that. I am learning new vocabulary on a narrow topic, and that is awesome.

I have been reading:

Anne Franks Dagbog (The Diary of Anne Frank): I have read this countless times in English. I started it in Danish back in January, and I am only on page 148 which is about half way. That's OK. I'm in no rush with this one.

Mumitrolden: De tre første romaner (Moomin: The first three novels) by Tove Jansson. How did I, lover of children's lit, never read these before ?! I big-puffy-heart-love these stories. And I'm adding to my nature / landscape vocabulary.

Babettes Gæstebud (Babette's Feast) by Karen Blixen / Isak Dinensen: I just reread this novella for the third (?) time. The rest of Karen Blixen's work is still too hard unless I peek at the English translation.

I haven't had the inclination for TV, but I have the fourth and final season of Rita to look forward to. I love this show so much, and I have recommended it to several of my English speaking friends. I think it has plenty of appeal beyond the Danish language.

Writing: Grand aspirations, fierce intentions and little action. As usual :) But hope springs eternal.

DUTCH

Once I stopped the 365 day challenge for Dutch, I lost momentum. My class ended on May 18. It was a good class, but I got tired of driving an hour each way on Saturday mornings. If the location were closer, I would continue in the fall. But it's not and I won't.

--
OK, that's enough for now. This is getting long!
3 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:38 pm

I have been reading the forum regularly, but I have not updated my log in about six weeks. I'm going to update my log daily this week, just to try to establish the habit.

I just made a post requesting help with a Study Plan. I don't think I've ever actually asked for help like that before. I usually just muddle along.

Some updates:
One of my audible credits went toward Pimsleur Polish, so I had to drop out of the FLC challenge. I've also bought a textbook for Polish - the Preston one that Stringerbell recommends. But I am only dabbling in Polish right now. Polish and European Portuguese are my current dabbling languages.

I've decided to focus on Dutch and Danish for the foreseeable future, with just enough Latin to (1) do well in my class and (2) do great on the National Latin Exam next March. Latin class doesn't start until mid-September.

I'll keep this short, since I will be back tomorrow :)
3 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:05 pm

English version follows the Danish version.

DANSK
I januar, skrev jeg:

In 2019, I plan to be brave enough to write part of my log in Danish.

I dag er jeg endelig modig nok at skrive en lille smule på dansk. Et af mine mange problemer er den rigtige ordstilling. Er det rigtig at sætte "endelig" foran modig? Eller nej? Jeg er ikke sikker på, at ordstilling her er fejlfri.

Jeg har også problemer med præpositioner, men jeg har købt en bog med øvelser at hjælpe mig med dette problem.

ENGLISH
In January, I wrote:

In 2019, I plan to be brave enough to write part of my long in Danish.

Today, I am finally brave enough to write a little bit in Danish. One of my many problems is the correct word order. Is it right to put "finally" in front of brave? Or no? I am not certain that the word order here is error-free.

I also have problems with prepositions, but I have bought a book with exercises to help me with this problem.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 am

You are welcome to pose concrete questions about Danish word order, prepositions etc etc here, and I'll be happy to answer them. I suppose you have heard about the grammarian Paul Diderichsen's field model for Danish word order? Otherwise try looking it up on the internet - it will probably solve most of those nagging word order problems for you.

Og ja, det er korrekt at skrive at du endelig er modig nok nu. Bemærk at verbet smuttede ind mellem adverbiet og adjektivet fordi der her er tale om en bisætning. I en hovedsætning er rækkefølgen den du faktisk brugte: du er endelig modig nok nu. Og som spørgsmål: er du endelig modig nok nu? med inversion.

The use of prepositions has to be learned the hard way, but notice that Danish makes a sharp separation between location and movement:

Jeg tager til København, og nu er jeg i København
men
Jeg går hen til bageren, og nu er jeg henne hos bageren
Jeg går ind i bageriet, og nu er jeg inde i bageriet
2 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Mange tak, Iversen. I have heard of Diderichsen's schema, but obviously I still don't have it internalized. I had bookmarked this set of videos some time ago, and I really should study them. I have my workarounds, but they are terribly limiting and I am tired of needing them.

What are the workarounds? Avoid adverbs when producing bisætninger :lol:

Or I might write it like this, since I don't know for sure where to put elendig endelig: I dag er jeg modig nok at skrive en lille smule på dansk. Elendig! Endelig!

I have plenty of room for improvement, yes indeed. See corrections, lol.

--
I was busy all day today, but I have done a few things so far:

Danish
30 minutes of Danish reading. I am reading Billedhuggerens Datter, a memoir of Tove Jansson's childhood. Tove Jansson is best known for the Moomins (Mumitroldene på dansk), but I love her books for adults just as much.

Dutch
A few duolingo rounds

Polish
Pimsleur #8

I'll probably get some more listening done today. I think I'll start tracking hours again on August 1. I diligently tracked my language learning from January 1 til mid-May, and then I just stopped.
Last edited by Elsa Maria on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:34 pm

not "elendig" ... use "endelig"! Otherwise you will be denigrating yourself to an unwarranted and undeserved degree.
2 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Iversen wrote:not "elendig" ... use "endelig"! Otherwise you will be denigrating yourself to an unwarranted and undeserved degree.

Oops! That's funny. And that is a perfect example of why I keep saying that my writing is my weakest skill. I know both of those words just fine, and I know how to pronounce them. I would not make that mistake speaking.

Thanks, Iversen. Jeg er taknemmelig!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”