J. R. R. Tolkien and Linguaphone

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
AnthonyLauder
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Everything Else (A0)

J. R. R. Tolkien and Linguaphone

Postby AnthonyLauder » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Perhaps this is well know, but I only learned it today: none other than J. R. R. Tolkien was one of the actors on the original Linguaphone Conversational English course vinyl records.

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/tolkien-book-store/RS000001.htm

"On the records we can read:
English Lesson 20 AT THE TOBACCONIST'S / Prof. J.R.R.Tolkien Prof.A. Lloyd James
English Lesson 30 WIRELESS / Prof. A.Lloyd James Prof. J.R.R.Tolkien

Tolkien received an invitation,which no doubt he gladly accepted, for he could use the money. He reads the introduction to lesson 20 "At the Tobacconist" and plays the shopowner in the following dialogue with Lloyd James as the customer. In Lesson 30 "Wireless" Tolkien plays the part of the proud owner of a radio set who explains to a visitor (Lloyd James again)"
12 x

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Re: J. R. R. Tolkien and Linguaphone

Postby jonm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi Anthony, that's so cool! Thanks for posting this, I had also never heard about it.

I just had a quick look on YouTube and found a few related videos...

First, a look at the original Linguaphone set. Incidentally, around one minute into the video, you see the page crediting the voice actors, and listed along with Professor Tolkien is Daniel Jones, one of the great phoneticians. I would be interested to hear that recording as well but couldn't find it anywhere. I wonder if there are any other famous people who recorded language learning material.

And then here are the two Linguaphone recordings with Professor Tolkien (the second has some accompanying animation).

8 x

AnthonyLauder
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Everything Else (A0)

Re: J. R. R. Tolkien and Linguaphone

Postby AnthonyLauder » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:54 pm

I noticed this weekend that there is a copy of the J.R.R. Tolkien recording of Linguaphone English for sale on ebay, for a mere £10,000.00. Even better, it is with free delivery :lol:

Strangely, it was priced at £20,000.00 on Saturday, before being slashed to the current bargain price.

Screenshot (46).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”