Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:08 pm

Congratulations on all your hard work and especially on your impressive progress. Keep us informed and keep up the good work :!:
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Bonjour mes amis,

I wonder if anyone here has used the new (3rd) edition of Pimsleur French? According to their website level 1 is a major update. It is described here: Pimsleur 3rd edition.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:04 pm

tomgosse wrote:Bonjour mes amis,

I wonder if anyone here has used the new (3rd) edition of Pimsleur French? According to their website level 1 is a major update. It is described here: Pimsleur 3rd edition.

No, Tom, I have not seen it, but I do want to add that there are Pimsleurs for many languages and many levels. So many that my library's catalog is downright confusing. Not that it has all of Pimsleur's publications. This is by way of reminding everyone that before you buy anything related to language learning, Pimsleur or not, be sure to check your local library first.
Bon courage!
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:37 pm

This might be a bit of a stretch for people but I hope people will find this contribution helpful.

It is impossible to learn the French language without hearing about the French Revolution, however, the whole topic seemed so big, I never knew where to begin to study it or make sense. Possibly students of the language will find these two web sites a good place to begin.

French Revolution Part I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRZcXIODNU

French Revolution Part II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQmjXM4VK2U

Notes:
1-I was a history major at college and am a great believer is detailed facts, however, sometimes it is helpful to get a general view of the subject matter at the outset.
2-There is a commercial at the beginning of Part I and embedded in Part II, but just skip over it with no problem.
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 am

I've been watching the C'est ça, la vie programme mentioned above by Klara and in episode 11 I've just learnt that french has an exact equivalent for shop - échoppe.
Étymologie
(Nom 1) (Vers 1230) escope — (Ernoul, État de la cité de Jérusalem), (1285) eschope — (Livre Roisin). Du moyen néerlandais schoppe → voir shop en anglais, Schuppen (« remise ») en allemand ; le mot est attesté d’abord dans le Nord de la France.

https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/%C3%A9choppe
3 x

Sahmilat
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Sahmilat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:48 pm

I'm currently a little more than halfway through Le Français par la Méthode Nature and I was hoping I could get a recommendation on audio supplements, because right now I am only getting practice in reading / some writing. I used Assimil for a while but I felt like the audio was unnaturally slow. I've tried listening to Peppa Pig but even that seems above my current level. Does anyone have recommendations for (free) slow-but-not-too-slow audio for the beginner? Preferably something a little more advanced than "hello my name is..." but if that's the most appropriate thing for my level, so be it.

Also, does anyone who has used this book know what would be a good place to go afterwards? I was thinking the CLE progressive grammar/vocabulary books for intermediate would probably be helpful once I finish Le Français par la Méthode Nature, but with the pace of the book I feel like I might be ready to read short stories/novels.

Merci beaucoup!
1 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:18 am

Sahmilat wrote:I'm currently a little more than halfway through Le Français par la Méthode Nature and I was hoping I could get a recommendation on audio supplements, because right now I am only getting practice in reading / some writing. I used Assimil for a while but I felt like the audio was unnaturally slow. I've tried listening to Peppa Pig but even that seems above my current level. Does anyone have recommendations for (free) slow-but-not-too-slow audio for the beginner? Preferably something a little more advanced than "hello my name is..." but if that's the most appropriate thing for my level, so be it.

Also, does anyone who has used this book know what would be a good place to go afterwards? I was thinking the CLE progressive grammar/vocabulary books for intermediate would probably be helpful once I finish Le Français par la Méthode Nature, but with the pace of the book I feel like I might be ready to read short stories/novels.

Merci beaucoup!

Merci beaucoup![/quote]

This summer I visited Paris I found a set of graduated reading books with great audio. I did Assimil and I think that these books might be useful as a soft entry into the language post-Assimil. The CD's with the audio in mp3 are excellent.

From the collection Lectures Progressives FLE

Un été à Paris - A2
Colo en Auvergne - Q2 B1
Danger à Lyon - B1
Les perles de Pyla - B1

Each cost me 8.50 Euro.
2 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:09 am

Sahmilat wrote: Does anyone have recommendations for (free) slow-but-not-too-slow audio for the beginner? Preferably something a little more advanced than "hello my name is..." but if that's the most appropriate thing for my level, so be it.
RFI provide a daily news bulletin for french learners - Journal en français facile, there is a (not always 100% accurate) script. You'd want to get in the habit of looking up all unknown words.

EDIT
Memory tells me I used to make a parallel text by having the french script in one browser window, and a deepl.com or Google translate english copy in another browser window.
2 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:20 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
Sahmilat wrote: Does anyone have recommendations for (free) slow-but-not-too-slow audio for the beginner? Preferably something a little more advanced than "hello my name is..." but if that's the most appropriate thing for my level, so be it.
RFI provide a daily news bulletin for french learners - Journal en français facile, there is a (not always 100% accurate) script. You'd want to get in the habit of looking up all unknown words.

EDIT
Memory tells me I used to make a parallel text by having the french script in one browser window, and a deepl.com or Google translate english copy in another browser window.

I began listening to RFI. I like it. However, I am concerned about getting used to slow and simplify language. Would that hurt? I would like to know other experiences about RFI. I did notice too that the speakers do not follow the text all the time, which for me, it is very distracting.
0 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:52 pm

lusan wrote:I began listening to RFI. I like it. However, I am concerned about getting used to slow and simplify language. Would that hurt? I would like to know other experiences about RFI. I did notice too that the speakers do not follow the text all the time, which for me, it is very distracting.

As long as it is challenging a bit, the simplified and slow listening practice is a good activity. But once you are too comfortable, leave it behind. Vast majority of people failing to get to the advanced level listening is not failing because they did or didn't use the slow exercises, subtitles, or whatever else. They fail, because they refuse to take the leap of faith and move on to the harder stuff. That is always the important moment.

So, if you are not that advanced and find the audios hard enough, I'd recommend sticking to them. However, I am not sure whether the transcripts are beneficial to you. It seems (from your post), that you are reading and listening at the same time. That is a great activity for some purposes, but not primarily for listening. Listen without the text (read it afterwards), if you really want to train your ears, and not just pretend to be training them. That way, the differences won't distract you at all :-) It will feel difficult at first, but you won't progress without tackling a challenge from time to time.

And don't worry. Even a too easy exercise won't harm you. It just won't move you forward, that's all.

TL,DR version: I recommend listening to the simple RFI without reading the transcript. When it becomes easy, find harder stuff.
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”