You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:57 pm

When you find interesting videos in a language you don't know. And while most people ask for subs in their native languages, you decide to add the video's language to your "languages that I would like to learn in the future" list. :roll: :lol:
6 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:00 pm

AndyMeg wrote:When you find interesting videos in a language you don't know. And while most people ask for subs in their native languages, you decide to add the video's language to your "languages that I would like to learn in the future" list. :roll: :lol:

Pray tell, which language is it?
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Bluepaint wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:When you find interesting videos in a language you don't know. And while most people ask for subs in their native languages, you decide to add the video's language to your "languages that I would like to learn in the future" list. :roll: :lol:

Pray tell, which language is it?

This has happened to me several times so the list keeps growing. It includes languages like: thai, malay, mandarin chinese (which I actually started to learn, but which is currently "paused"), cantonese, tagalog, etc. (It also happened to me with korean: I was browsing japanese videos and I found a k-drama. And then I started to consume more korean content than japanese content. Until I finally decided to start learning the language).
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Bilingual_monoglot
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (n) Tamil (n-heritage) French Esperanto (can talk about language policy/lepak, and nothing else) Hindi (bumbling tourist) Malay (basic conversations) Chinese (introductions and ordering food)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16715

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:50 pm

When you only managed to pass your language subjects for your most recent exams.
5 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Bilingual_monoglot wrote:When you only managed to pass your language subjects for your most recent exams.

Ouch.

Maybe we should put some kind of disclaimer on the site... :lol:
6 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:45 pm

When you're rejected by a girl after she let you get close to her for several months, who lives 100+ km from where you live, and then she offered a chance to meet her at a national book convention which took place about 2-hours traveling distance from your town, which you agreed, with her becoming your secondary objective while your primary one was to get full-Japanese or full-Arabic book for your Super Challenge progress.

Happened to me exactly 1 week ago. Don't blame me to expect that much, it's a national book converntion after all. In the end, they didn't have neither full-Japanese book nor full-Arabic book. However, I did get a Japanese crossword puzzle in my native language. As in, the questions and the instructions are Indonesian, but most of the answers are Japanese and must be written with Hiragana.
4 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:28 pm

You know your cat is a language nerd when she uses her nose to change the language of the website you’re looking at from English to French. (I suspect Rdearman put her up to it.)
9 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:55 am

Brun Ugle wrote:You know your cat is a language nerd when she uses her nose to change the language of the website you’re looking at from English to French. (I suspect Rdearman put her up to it.)

Nope, it was Karma.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:01 pm

When your plan to start saving money involves limiting yourself to buying only one language book a month.
10 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm

Deinonysus wrote:When your plan to start saving money involves limiting yourself to buying only one language book a month.

I actually laughed at this :lol: love it
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”