The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. July: A Country Doctor's Notebook

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
David27
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Re: The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. July: A Country Doctor's Notebook

Postby David27 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:57 am

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed by The Bridge on the Drina. It's a cross between a series of short stories and a history book, but I found that it didn't particularly excel at either. I'm to page 100 and I haven't found the short stories told to be compelling, and from a historical standpoint I care more about the nations and the people than the bridge. It does capture a spirit of tension between the people groups (Turks, Muslim-Bosnian, Christian-Serbian, Jewish), but it doesn't have me wanting to read more. What are others' thoughts? If I didn't get into the first 100 pages, do you think the rest of the book is different and that it would be worth it for me to push forward?

I'm on the fence for joining for "A Country Doctor". While Master and Margarita is my favorite book of all time and I've read it thrice, I didn't particularly remember particularly liking Heart of a Dog, which I read as an undergrad in English around 10 years ago now. I probably will reread собачье сердце (Heart of a Dog) and записки юного врача (A Country Doctor's Notebook) someday, but having read 2 books in Russian this year so far I don't know if I'm ready to dive into a third, or pick up a different book on my shelves in another language. I'll look at how much it is on my iPad and decide whether to buy it before the holiday weekend (I have the 4th and 5th of July, plus the weekend free this year! but plan to do some hiking, so not just reading the whole time)
0 x

MamaPata
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Russian (B1), Spanish (A2).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:55 am

David27 wrote:I'm on the fence for joining for "A Country Doctor". While Master and Margarita is my favorite book of all time and I've read it thrice, I didn't particularly remember particularly liking Heart of a Dog, which I read as an undergrad in English around 10 years ago now. I probably will reread собачье сердце (Heart of a Dog) and записки юного врача (A Country Doctor's Notebook) someday, but having read 2 books in Russian this year so far I don't know if I'm ready to dive into a third, or pick up a different book on my shelves in another language. I'll look at how much it is on my iPad and decide whether to buy it before the holiday weekend (I have the 4th and 5th of July, plus the weekend free this year! but plan to do some hiking, so not just reading the whole time)

I wasn’t really a fan of собачье сердце but I read a Country Doctor’s Notebook and quite liked it. It’s very different obviously. It’s a set of short stories based on his experiences so you could always read one of them and then stop. That’s partly why I suggested it, it’s much less of a commitment than many of the books we have read.

——

When did it get to be July?! I thought I still had ages before this! I will be reading at least some of the stories in Russian but we’ll see how it goes. July is shaping up to be quite busy.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Brown Belt
Current: Russian (2+S/2+L/3R on DLPT5 in 2016)
Maintaining: Italian (1L/2R on DLPT IV in 2019) and Esperanto (C1 on the KER skriba exam, 2017)
Lapsed: BCS (2S/3L/2+R once upon a time...not that now!)
Future?: Old English; Croatian; Cornish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:50 am

As previously mentioned, I read Bridge on the Drina many, many years ago. This time I read it in Esperanto and I made it about half-way. I already know the book, so I've moved on to Bulgakov. In Russian. Hard!

So I just finished the first chapter. Now I'm going to read it in English. The first chapter I mean. Then I'm going to re-read the first chapter in Russian. Wow, that first chapter was hard. But now I know how to say hernia in Russian. :D
2 x
Language books for sale here. (Admin approved)

SC Esperanto films : 40 / 100
SC Esperanto books : 26 / 100
SC Russian films : 0 / 50
SC Russian books : 4 / 50
2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 141 / 365

kanewai
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: French, Italian, Spanish, Arabic, German
Inactive: Turkish, Indonesian, Pááfang
Very Inactive: :Latin, Ancient Greek

Postby kanewai » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 pm

I didn't realize this was a short collection of short stories. I can handle that! - count me in for the Italian version, I racconti di un giovane medico. I've never read Bulgakov, so this should be good.

I tried to look up versions in other romance languages, and at first glance it appears that Notebook is for more popular in Italy than in France or Spain - at least based upon the number of reviews for the translations and the amount of information on wikipedia. I'm not sure if this is a real thing, or just random chance based upon a ten minute search.
0 x
Jorge Luis Borges, Ficciones: 17 / 174
Alexandre Dumas, Vingt ans après: 520 / 1000
Massimo Montanari. La fame e l abbondanza: 90 / 260
Living Lang. Arabic: 05 / 30
Assimil German: 46 / 100

IronMike
Brown Belt
Current: Russian (2+S/2+L/3R on DLPT5 in 2016)
Maintaining: Italian (1L/2R on DLPT IV in 2019) and Esperanto (C1 on the KER skriba exam, 2017)
Lapsed: BCS (2S/3L/2+R once upon a time...not that now!)
Future?: Old English; Croatian; Cornish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 pm

I didn't mention here (but in my log) that I stopped Bulgakov. First chapter read, then in English. The Russian is just too much right now. I've moved on to a reader whose stories are at about the 2+ to 3 level. So far so good.

And if this is your first Bulgakov, please don't let it be your last. The Master and Margarita is a must-read. So good!
2 x
Language books for sale here. (Admin approved)

SC Esperanto films : 40 / 100
SC Esperanto books : 26 / 100
SC Russian films : 0 / 50
SC Russian books : 4 / 50
2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 141 / 365

Return to “Travel and Culture”