The Forum Book Club thread 2020. August: Tiempos recios

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
David27
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Re: The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. July: A Country Doctor's Notebook

Postby David27 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:57 am

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed by The Bridge on the Drina. It's a cross between a series of short stories and a history book, but I found that it didn't particularly excel at either. I'm to page 100 and I haven't found the short stories told to be compelling, and from a historical standpoint I care more about the nations and the people than the bridge. It does capture a spirit of tension between the people groups (Turks, Muslim-Bosnian, Christian-Serbian, Jewish), but it doesn't have me wanting to read more. What are others' thoughts? If I didn't get into the first 100 pages, do you think the rest of the book is different and that it would be worth it for me to push forward?

I'm on the fence for joining for "A Country Doctor". While Master and Margarita is my favorite book of all time and I've read it thrice, I didn't particularly remember particularly liking Heart of a Dog, which I read as an undergrad in English around 10 years ago now. I probably will reread собачье сердце (Heart of a Dog) and записки юного врача (A Country Doctor's Notebook) someday, but having read 2 books in Russian this year so far I don't know if I'm ready to dive into a third, or pick up a different book on my shelves in another language. I'll look at how much it is on my iPad and decide whether to buy it before the holiday weekend (I have the 4th and 5th of July, plus the weekend free this year! but plan to do some hiking, so not just reading the whole time)
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:55 am

David27 wrote:I'm on the fence for joining for "A Country Doctor". While Master and Margarita is my favorite book of all time and I've read it thrice, I didn't particularly remember particularly liking Heart of a Dog, which I read as an undergrad in English around 10 years ago now. I probably will reread собачье сердце (Heart of a Dog) and записки юного врача (A Country Doctor's Notebook) someday, but having read 2 books in Russian this year so far I don't know if I'm ready to dive into a third, or pick up a different book on my shelves in another language. I'll look at how much it is on my iPad and decide whether to buy it before the holiday weekend (I have the 4th and 5th of July, plus the weekend free this year! but plan to do some hiking, so not just reading the whole time)

I wasn’t really a fan of собачье сердце but I read a Country Doctor’s Notebook and quite liked it. It’s very different obviously. It’s a set of short stories based on his experiences so you could always read one of them and then stop. That’s partly why I suggested it, it’s much less of a commitment than many of the books we have read.

——

When did it get to be July?! I thought I still had ages before this! I will be reading at least some of the stories in Russian but we’ll see how it goes. July is shaping up to be quite busy.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:50 am

As previously mentioned, I read Bridge on the Drina many, many years ago. This time I read it in Esperanto and I made it about half-way. I already know the book, so I've moved on to Bulgakov. In Russian. Hard!

So I just finished the first chapter. Now I'm going to read it in English. The first chapter I mean. Then I'm going to re-read the first chapter in Russian. Wow, that first chapter was hard. But now I know how to say hernia in Russian. :D
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 pm

I didn't realize this was a short collection of short stories. I can handle that! - count me in for the Italian version, I racconti di un giovane medico. I've never read Bulgakov, so this should be good.

I tried to look up versions in other romance languages, and at first glance it appears that Notebook is for more popular in Italy than in France or Spain - at least based upon the number of reviews for the translations and the amount of information on wikipedia. I'm not sure if this is a real thing, or just random chance based upon a ten minute search.
0 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 pm

I didn't mention here (but in my log) that I stopped Bulgakov. First chapter read, then in English. The Russian is just too much right now. I've moved on to a reader whose stories are at about the 2+ to 3 level. So far so good.

And if this is your first Bulgakov, please don't let it be your last. The Master and Margarita is a must-read. So good!
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

kanewai
Blue Belt
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm three stories in.

In Italian, these stories are direct and visceral. Scenes also seem to flow into each other, though I'm not really sure if that's how Bulgakov writes, or how the translator translates, or if that's must me not being fluent in Italian and missing details.
1 x

kanewai
Blue Belt

Postby kanewai » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:32 am

I have a suggestion for moving forward: perhaps we should change the poll question to “what books would you actually read if chosen?”

It seems that a lot of months folks are voting for books they don’t read, and I’m a bit confused by this.
2 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:51 pm

kanewai wrote:I have a suggestion for moving forward: perhaps we should change the poll question to “what books would you actually read if chosen?”

It seems that a lot of months folks are voting for books they don’t read, and I’m a bit confused by this.

I have been wondering about that too.

Also, we have now passed into August, and we have a new book to read. I have it on my kindle, but won't start reading it until I'm back from vacation, Wednesday next week.

Also, feel free to suggest new books for September.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:13 am

Mista wrote:
kanewai wrote:I have a suggestion for moving forward: perhaps we should change the poll question to “what books would you actually read if chosen?”

I have been wondering about that too.

Also, we have now passed into August, and we have a new book to read. I have it on my kindle, but won't start reading it until I'm back from vacation, Wednesday next week.

Also, feel free to suggest new books for September.

It can be really irritating, but I'm not sure it's something that can change. I've been to various in person book clubs where the person that suggested the book doesn't show, never mind everyone else. People's lives get more complicated than they expect and can't read the things they were planning to.

I proposed A Country Doctor's Notebook because I figured people could read one story. I've started it but August arrived so quickly that I'm still on the first page. When I read a bit more, I'll come back and comment.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. AUGUST: Black Run

Postby lingua » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:11 pm

I have voted for books I think I would read but then find that Amazon doesn't have an Italian ebook version. Even though I buy physical books occasionally I have a hard time ever getting around to reading them. I do most of my reading on the treadmill or in bed so ebooks work best for me.

Since I already read Pista Nera some months ago it's unlikely I would read it again so soon. I did buy I racconti di un giovane medico but then realized that isn't even the right book and Amazon didn't have the notebook one.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Return to “Travel and Culture”