Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
ILikeKarkówka
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Re: Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Postby ILikeKarkówka » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:14 am

It has been really interesting reading this log and your previous one. I haven't got through the entire thing so apologies if you have already answered this question or I have missed it but what was the motivation to learn Polish all those years ago and go on a course in Poland? Do you have a connection in your heritage? Also do you have any avenues to use the language or any intention to visit the country again? Or is it something you pursue purely out of interest?
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:09 pm

ILikeKarkówka wrote:It has been really interesting reading this log and your previous one. I haven't got through the entire thing so apologies if you have already answered this question or I have missed it but what was the motivation to learn Polish all those years ago and go on a course in Poland? Do you have a connection in your heritage? Also do you have any avenues to use the language or any intention to visit the country again? Or is it something you pursue purely out of interest?

I am a heritage speaker. My family on both sides comes from Poland, Polish is the native language of my maternal grandparents (only my grandmother is alive) and my mother, though my mother grew up in the US so she really only speaks Polish when speaking to her mother. I have spoken to my grandmother in Polish, but surprisingly this proved very difficult because even though her English is absolutely terrible, she is so used to speaking to me in English that she automatically reverts to it every few seconds. It's strange that this would happen because she really struggles with English even though she's been living in the US for ~70 years (she only speaks in present tense, for example, so you have to use context to understand most of what she's saying, and it's often really confusing).

I have spoken more successfully with my mother, and I should probably do this more because it's fun. I think I don't because (1) I have a hard time motivating myself to speak and write in Polish because I find it really taxing, and (2) she has a tendency to mix a lot of Polish and English (kind of like a Polish version of Spanglish) and since she often doesn't know more modern words (especially related to technology) she incorporates English words, so I'm sometimes not sure if what she's saying is correct.

I would love to visit Poland again, but I'm not sure how likely that is to happen. Warsaw is one of the few cities in Poland I haven't yet seen. I have a LEP in Warsaw and the Polyglot Gathering will be taking place there, so I think the universe is trying to give me a sign :lol: I have some health issues that make traveling difficult, but if I have a period of time where I'm feeling better and I am able to get myself back to Europe, I would love to return to Poland. I mainly just view Polish as both a fun hobby and something I do to prove to myself that I'm capable of learning it after failed attempts in the past using crappy methods; I really like the challenge.

BTW, I just checked out the Podcasts with Transcriptions from Polish with John that you mentioned on your log. What a great resource! I already signed up to support him on Patreon, and I'm trying to figure out that most enjoyable and productive way to use those transcripts (in addition to listen+reading). Thanks for mentioning it! I'll write more about it in a future post.
Last edited by StringerBell on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:17 pm

Does anyone have a good recipe for Bigos? I've eaten it in restaurants in Poland, but since it's something my family never prepared I'm not sure how to make it. I'm sure I could find videos on YT, but I figured I'd ask here first since cooking channel recipes can be really hit or miss.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

ILikeKarkówka
White Belt

Postby ILikeKarkówka » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:01 pm

StringerBell wrote:
ILikeKarkówka wrote:It has been really interesting reading this log and your previous one. I haven't got through the entire thing so apologies if you have already answered this question or I have missed it but what was the motivation to learn Polish all those years ago and go on a course in Poland? Do you have a connection in your heritage? Also do you have any avenues to use the language or any intention to visit the country again? Or is it something you pursue purely out of interest?

I am a heritage speaker. My family on both sides comes from Poland, Polish is the native language of my maternal grandparents (only my grandmother is alive) and my mother, though my mother grew up in the US so she really only speaks Polish when speaking to her mother. I have spoken to my grandmother in Polish, but surprisingly this proved very difficult because even though her English is absolutely terrible, she is so used to speaking to me in English that she automatically reverts to it every few seconds. It's strange that this would happen because she really struggles with English even though she's been living in the US for ~70 years (she only speaks in present tense, for example, so you have to use context to understand most of what she's saying, and it's often really confusing).

I have spoken more successfully with my mother, and I should probably do this more because it's fun. I think I don't because (1) I have a hard time motivating myself to speak and write in Polish because I find it really taxing, and (2) she has a tendency to mix a lot of Polish and English (kind of like a Polish version of Spanglish) and since she often doesn't know more modern words (especially related to technology) she incorporates English words, so I'm sometimes not sure if what she's saying is correct.

I would love to visit Poland again, but I'm not sure how likely that is to happen. Warsaw is one of the few cities in Poland I haven't yet seen. I have a LEP in Warsaw and the Polyglot Gathering will be taking place there, so I think the universe is trying to give me a sign :lol: I have some health issues that make traveling difficult, but if I have a period of time where I'm feeling better and I am able to get myself back to Europe, I would love to return to Poland. I mainly just view Polish as both a fun hobby and something I do to prove to myself that I'm capable of learning it after failed attempts in the past using crappy methods; I really like the challenge.

BTW, I just checked out the Podcasts with Transcriptions from Polish with John that you mentioned on your log. What a great resource! I already signed up to support him on Patreon, and I'm trying to figure out that most enjoyable and productive way to use those transcripts (in addition to listen+reading). Thanks for mentioning it! I'll write more about it in a future post.

I'm glad I've managed to find something useful to potentially help someone. Likewise I'll let you know how I get on with it.

StringerBell wrote:Does anyone have a good recipe for Bigos? I've eaten it in restaurants in Poland, but since it's something my family never prepared I'm not sure how to make it. I'm sure I could find videos on YT, but I figured I'd ask here first since cooking channel recipes can be really hit or miss.

Unfortunately all my stuff is packed now but I do have a recipe. If I don't remember then remind me in a few weeks. I will ask my wife if she can remember it. It is really straightforward so I'd probably be inclined to trust google/youtube.

More generally - There is a book called "Kuchnia Polska" which is amazing. Our version is from the 70s or 80s, so it may be different from the editions printed recently but it's an amazing and comprehensive book on Polish cuisine (in polish of course). You have some very simple and traditional recipes as well as numerous varieties for each type of dish.I have used it for a few dishes and they have come out amazing.
2 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:28 pm

Since we are about halfway through the year, I thought I'd do a half-year in review.

POLISH:

This year really marked the beginning of using native materials. In 2019, I've:

-Read intensively the entire book Nowe Przygody Mikołaja (a collection of 45 short stories)
-Read+Listen to audiobook extensively Dzieci z Bullerbyn (created a parallel text using GT)
-Read+Listen to audiobook extensively the novel Szklany Zamek (using the English version as a parallel text)
-Read+Listen to audiobook extensively the novel Dolores Claiborne (using the English version as a parallel text)
-Read+Listen to audiobook INTENSIVELY 1/2 of the novel Za Zamkniętymi Drzwiami, plus multiple listenings without text (using the English version as a parallel text)
-Watched 6 episodes of Ultraviolet on Netflix (multiple times) with subtitles INTENSIVELY
-Watched 3 seasons (78 episodes) of Rodzinka.pl extensively without subtitles

This year has also marked the beginning of using an actual course book. It's possible I started it at the end of last year, I can't remember. As of now, I'm almost 3/4 done with the Preston Publishing Speak Polish A1-A2 book. I anticipate finishing it in about 2 weeks.

I've done other things not mentioned above, but I think this is it this year for native materials and grammar.

In the 2nd half of this year, I'd like to:
-continue with grammar, though once I'm done with the current Preston book, I think I'd like to cut down to ~1/2 hour of grammar per day.
-do a little more writing
-I think I also would like to try a few lessons with a Polish tutor on Skype, but I'd like to beef up my grammar a little more before I start that.
-finish the 2nd half of Za Zamkniętymi Drzwiami
-Read+Listen to another book extensively
-Begin intensively reading one of the YA books I have without audio

ITALIAN:

This year also marks the use of a course book for the first time. In 2019, I've:

-finished 9/20 chapters in the Practice Makes Perfect Complete Italian Grammar book
-watched several dubbed shows on Netflix (like La Casa De Papel aka Money Heist), Lucifer, and a few others
-read 2 Diary of a Wimpy Kid books intensively
-read YA novel Perks of Being a Wallflower (Noi Siamo Infinito) 1x extensively and am 1/2 way done rereading it intensively
-begun my overwhelming project of transcribing season 4 of Lucifer in Italian
-listened to lots of podcasts. I've currently finished 9/20 episodes of La Società dei Ghetti

I've done a lot of other odds-n-ends things in Italian that I won't bother mentioning.

In the 2nd half of this year, I'd like to:
-finish the PMP course book. considering it's taken me 1/2 a year to do 1/2 the book, this seems doable. Ideally, I'd like to finish it much sooner than that, but we'll see.
-Stick with the Lucifer project
-Read the other 2 Diary of a Wimpy Kid books that I have
-Read Il Sentiero della Speranza extensively
-Possibly find a new LEP partner since my long-time one disappeared months ago
-Resume writing when I finish the PMP course book

LATIN:

I've been working on Latin a little bit everyday this week. I reached the halfway point in the Cambridge book, and I've decided to go back to the beginning to do scriptorium with all of the stories, including the ones that don't have audio. This language is meant to be a low-key fun language, so I don't want to make a lot of goals, but my general plans for the 2nd half of the year are:

-Do scriptorium for all the stories
-Finish the Cambridge book
-When I'm done, start the Lingua Latina book that is sitting on my bookshelf
6 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:58 pm

Woo-hoo! I finally finished transcribing episode 1 of Lucifer (season 4) in Italian!!! What a pain in the you-know-what. It's still early, but I think this project is actually worth the time/energy. I've gotten the whole thing corrected. In the beginning I was really struggling to hear things, and I made a lot of errors. As the episode went on (and as I got each new piece corrected) it started to become a little easier, and I was definitely making fewer mistakes.

From the episode, I learned:
sfogati pure (just let it out)
La sua versione torna (his story checks out/makes sense)

I'd like to figure out how to post these transcripts for others to use. I created a Wordpress account, but it looks like trying to paste text from a table will be...impossible. At least without investing many hours of research into how to make it work, which I'm not willing to do.
3 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:16 am

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StringerBell on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:11 pm

:x It doesn't offer the option to switch to Classic mode. Thwarted again!

Here's what I get when I click the 3 dots:
Wordpress.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Why don't you use our wiki? The link is at the top of the forum. I'm sure it would be easier and accessible by forum members and everyone else.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:03 pm

ロータス Thank you for trying to help with Wordpress, I really appreciate it.

I posted Season 4, Episode 1 of Lucifer to the wiki following RDearman's suggestion, but I'm not confident that I did it correctly, because even though I think I created a category for Transcripts, it doesn't show up in the list of categories.

Here is the link to what I posted. If anyone has suggestions for making it easier to find, please let me know! I guess I'm planning to post episode 2 below what I have currently posted, but this doesn't seem like a great idea, format wise. I'd prefer to have it organized like this: Transcripts >>>Italian>>>Lucifer, Season 4>>>Episode 1 But I can't figure out how to make subcategories. The only other option I saw was to post it as a series of articles, but that didn't make a lot of sense, either.

https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts
2 x

Return to “Language logs”