Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
booksandtrains
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (C1), German (cobwebs), Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 8e522efa04

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby booksandtrains » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Hello, I'm a person on the internet in England. I graduated with a degree in modern languages (Russian with German) in 2017. I am very attached to my Russian, lived in Moscow for two years, would give a limb to go back but the job I was doing (teaching English) wasn't for me. Last May I passed the delightful TRKI 3 test so I have a piece of paper attesting to my Russian level (although that exam is a poor reflection of someone's actual level IMO, I'm sure I'll go into that on the language log of the future). I also studied German, however we're not on the best of terms. I can still read and listen theoretically, I can probably even still speak and write. I just don't.

The problem is I'm not disciplined. I have joined this forum because I admire the users on this site who put in so much work and make progress as a result of that. I love the idea of being part of a community of supportive people from different walks of life who are brought together by language.

I've attempted many times to learn various languages beyond my languages of study. I did a Spanish course at college, and a year of Ukrainian at university. Many times I've attempted to learn languages independently, as a 'hobby', not as an academic pursuit, as so many people on this website do. Many times I've given up, telling myself that I can only ever see languages as an academic field, I'm not 'motivated' or disciplined enough to get past learning the present tense conjugations of Spanish verbs or the topic of family words in Ukrainian.

However, since I've returned from Russia, got a job in which I'm quite frankly overpaid and underworked, moved back into my home town where there's nothing to do after 5:30pm, I've had a lot of time to reevaluate assumptions I made about myself and my capabilities. I've been learning Spanish again to give myself an intellectually stimulating focus outside of my boring job and I'm having a great time. At some point I'd like to brush up on my Ukrainian as well, and maybe one day I'll even tackle the mess I've made of my German.

I'm looking forward to starting my language log and sharing my own dodgy expertise and unsolicited advice directed at learners of Russian.
10 x

linguology
Languages: English (N), German (B2), Mandarin (HSK2), Spanish (A1)

Postby linguology » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:15 am

Hi! I'm a lifelong language dabbler who's always struggled with keeping up the consistency to actually learn a language to a high level. I graduated university with a Bachelor's degree in German, but since then I've neglected it almost entirely (beyond listening to music now and then), so I know my abilities have absolutely tanked. I've lived in China for the past two years, but due to some demotivating experiences and personal laziness I have made almost no progress in that time. I'm moving back home to the States in a few months, and lately I've been feeling a little embarrassed about my terrible Chinese. I'm hoping that keeping a log and interacting with fellow language enthusiasts will help me shake off the blues and keep me accountable and motivated. :D
4 x

Koneho
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Tagalog (Best) Spanish (Second Best) Mandarin (Clasroom Commands only)

Postby Koneho » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi, I'm Koneho. I live in the Philippines and I have *ok* Filipino. I've gotten an itch for indonesian. Right now I'm trying to find ways to boost my filipino reading (literary filipino is like a whole different beast). I also want to know if anyone has the glossika Indonesian legacy course?
1 x

brad-alm
Languages: spanish, french, german, italian

Postby brad-alm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:15 pm

I was a student of foreign languages since I discovered this innate talent in Middle School. I continued my study of
languages through high school, and went on to study languages and theoretical and applied linguistics and Columbia
U and NYU. I used a system in public school called A-LM which was an excellent series. I learned Spanish, French and
German with this series, and owe me academic career to the strong base I got from this series. )You have to be around my age to have used this series, so those of you out there who are may be familiar with A-LM. I went on to
specialize in historical linguistics and etymology, and my university-level studies in linguistics include morphology,
syntax, phonology/phonetics, semantics and etymology of languages. I have also taught languages and also ESL
to foreign students in this country. I appreciate how very important it id to study languages in a global environment;
unfortunately, many public schools have been eliminating foreign languages in part or totally, due to budgetary
issues and general lack of interest on the part of American students. Since the early to mid-1980s, when A-LM was
being discontinued, textbooks have been "dumbed down" as students have made less of an effort to learn!
I hope that my contributions to the forum will be interesting and informative to others.
2 x

devalike
Languages: Greek, English, Chinese(Mandarin), Japanese

Postby devalike » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:23 pm

My name is Demetres (that's a better romanization of Δημητρης than Dimitris i believe). I recently became really interested in language learning. My native tongue is Greek, I'm proficient in English (although I've lost the catch of it since I entered uni) and i'm beginner in Japanese and Mandarin Chinese. The magic of ideographs fascinates me, it feels like some sort of modern hieroglyphic !!
2 x

AnthonyLauder
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Everything Else (A0)

Postby AnthonyLauder » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 am

My name is Anthony. I used to be on HTLAL, with the nickname Splog. I haven't posted anything here or on HTLAL for quite some time. Mostly because I realised I was spending more time talking about language learning than actually doing language learning. So, I took a long break from talking to focus on doing. Now I feel ready to do some talking again.
12 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:18 am

AnthonyLauder wrote:My name is Anthony. I used to be on HTLAL, with the nickname Splog.

Anthony, we have all been waiting patiently for you to show up here on LLorg because you taught us so much about language learning on HTLAL. I especially liked the very important Splog's Connectors. It is great to have you here. Welcome!!!
7 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:43 pm

AnthonyLauder wrote:My name is Anthony. I used to be on HTLAL, with the nickname Splog. I haven't posted anything here or on HTLAL for quite some time. Mostly because I realised I was spending more time talking about language learning than actually doing language learning. So, I took a long break from talking to focus on doing. Now I feel ready to do some talking again.

So true! I am trying hundreds of Apps and supports for my reviews on my blog and have to stop sometimes in order to "learn" languages...
1 x

naim
Languages: Arabic, English, Chinese

Postby naim » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:03 am

Hi,
My name is Naim. I'm from Lebanon. I'm working on an app to _____

I'm blanking on what to call it or how to describe it yet. But I want to force myself to start writing, PUBLICLY.
3 x

cadomniel
Languages: English, Spanish

Postby cadomniel » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:42 pm

sirgregory wrote:Greetings. My name is Gregory and I like languages. In early adulthood I spent some time in Latin America where I learned Spanish. I stumbled upon the HTLAL site around 2006. Francois's material inspired me to try to learn French through self study. I spent a few months studying it with Pimsleur and a few books. I was learning it quickly but I was never able to get much practical experience with it or get much beyond a very basic level. Since then, I have been on a bit of a break, shall we say. About 13 years thanks to school and professional distractions. But just within the last few months my interest in languages has made a comeback. I've decided to restart with German. I'm finding it somewhat more of a challenge than French (I felt like I was getting a enormous discount there) but still very enjoyable. I'm really loving the similarities to Old English.

As this site seems to be the successor to HTLAL, it looks like the right place for motivation and self study techniques.

I got really interested in learning languages when I discovered the HTLAL forum around the same time as you in 2005. I found the website when I was trying to decide what language to study in university as my elective. I wanted to study Russian but it didn't fit with my schedule so ended up studying German for a year. First year university level German was really far too easy after using the techniques on the forum. I used Pimsleur, FSI and Assimil to build up a foundation in Spanish, French as well as dabble in Swedish and Russian. After I finished university I stopped spending time learning languages, but my wife is a native Spanish speaker so I have advanced in Spanish the most just by having more exposure. Now I want to start to revive my French and German but first to take my Spanish to C1 level...think I am pretty close
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”