Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Polish Paralysis
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish B1
Mandarin Chinese B1
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10586

Re: Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Postby Polish Paralysis » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:09 pm

StringerBell wrote:The real question is this: from the examples I can find in the book, it seems that when you make a noun plural, it is the same in Mianownik (Nominative) and Biernik (Accusative). Is this true?

I don't have all the answers. Honestly I don't even know what all the names of the cases are (in Polish or in English) But I looked this up for you and this website might be helpful.
http://sgjp.pl/leksemy/#13589/a

It says is not secure for some reason but I didn't have a problem with it.
1 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 pm

StringerBell wrote:Awhile back I mentioned having great difficulty in determining whether a noun was singular or plural. I finally reached the part of the Preston book that explains this mystery and all I can say is: what a confusing system for pluralizing nouns! I started taking notes on how to pluralize on one page thinking that I could fit everything on the 2/3 of a page that was left...but then ran out of room and needed a whole other page (and this is not even everything!)

I have some questions:

1) The book explains that there are "2 groups" in terms of how things get pluralized:
[1] Masculine Personal Plurals (men, or a group containing at least 1 man), and
[2] Non-Masculine Personal Plurals (women, and ALL other nouns including objects and animals)

The book keeps referring to masculine or non-masculine "personal plurals" but for the life of me, I can't understand what they mean by "personal plurals".

The real question is this: from the examples I can find in the book, it seems that when you make a noun plural, it is the same in Mianownik (Nominative) and Biernik (Accusative). Is this true?

Mianownik singular: kawa
Mianownik plural: kawy
Biernik plural: kawy - Mam trzy duże kawy.

Some languages have asymmetric systems when it comes to inflection. Old (12th century) French distinguished two cases in masculine words but did not distinguish them in most feminine words. German distinguishes three word subtypes in the singular (masculine, feminine, neuter) but only has one plural type. Polish, similarly, has three subtypes in the singular (masculine, feminine, neuter) and two in the plural (masculine personal, non-masculine-personal i.e. everything else), although within the masculine singular it's worth to distinguish inanimate/object nouns from human/divine/animal nouns (see below).

"Personal" here refers to "person"/"people", so, "human". Examples of masculine "personal" nouns would be mężczyzna 'man', sprzedawca 'salesman', kapitalista 'male capitalist', sędzia 'judge (when referring to a man, the feminine can be optionally specified as sędzina)', poeta 'male poet'. Note that the word bóg 'male god' is included too.

Masculine non-personal nouns come from two categories: "animate" nouns comprised mostly of animals (e.g. pawian 'baboon', plus some miscellaneous words like duch 'ghost, spirit') and "inanimate" nouns comprised mostly of objects (e.g. stół 'table').

This means that as far as masculine-gender words are concerned, you must correctly identify whether they are "personal"(/human), "animate"(/animal) or "inanimate"(/object), because it affects declension.

- Masculine personal nouns distinguish all four of mianownik singular, biernik singular, mianownik plural and biernik plural, e.g. mężczyzna mężczyznę, plural mężczyźni mężczyzn 'man'; bóg boga, plural bogowie bogów 'god'.
- Masculine animate nouns distinguish mianownik singular and biernik singular, but have only one plural form that covers both cases, e.g. pies psa, plural psy 'dog'; duch ducha, plural duchy 'ghost, spirit'.
- Masculine inanimate nouns do not distinguish the mianownik and biernik cases, just like neuter-gender nouns, e.g. stół, plural stoły 'table'; pazur, plural pazury 'claw'.

Note that a word may belong to more than one pattern due to metaphorical usage. For example, pies 'dog' is an animate/animal noun and so has only one mianownik/biernik plural form (psy), but when referring to people as "dogs" (something particularly done to policemen in Polish usage), the word may receive the distinct biernik plural "psów" (while the mianownik plural must remain psy).

You don't need to care about any of this for feminine and neuter nouns, as all feminine nouns decline in the same pattern, and so do neuter nouns.
4 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:26 pm

StringerBell wrote:POLISH:
1) The book explains that there are "2 groups" in terms of how things get pluralized:
[1] Masculine Personal Plurals (men, or a group containing at least 1 man), and
[2] Non-Masculine Personal Plurals (women, and ALL other nouns including objects and animals)

I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. Could you provide me some examples?

The real question is this: from the examples I can find in the book, it seems that when you make a noun plural, it is the same in Mianownik (Nominative) and Biernik (Accusative). Is this true?

Mianownik singular: kawa
Mianownik plural: kawy
Biernik plural: kawy - Mam trzy duże kawy.[/quote]
Surely not every time.
Mianownik: Dziecko (neutrum) kobieta (feminine) student (masculine)
Biernik: Dziecko --------------- kobietę ------------ studenta
Mianownik plural: Dzieci ------- kobiety ------------studenci
Biernik plural: Dzieci ------------- kobiety --------- studentów

In neutral you may probably assume that Mianownik = Biernik but in other genders, it is not the case.

(edit)
I had to use "-------------" because spaces were simply ignored by the form when I published my answer.
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:57 am

Thank you everyone! I'm hoping that if I'm patient, the book will eventually address. As of now, at least I can say that neuter plural words are the same in Biernik and Mianowik and everything else...is still a mystery!
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Querneus
Blue Belt

Postby Querneus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:10 pm

StringerBell wrote:Thank you everyone! I'm hoping that if I'm patient, the book will eventually address. As of now, at least I can say that neuter plural words are the same in Biernik and Mianowik and everything else...is still a mystery!

I guess my explanation was not clear enough. :(
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:18 pm

Ser wrote:Note that a word may belong to more than one pattern due to metaphorical usage. For example, pies 'dog' is an animate/animal noun and so has only one mianownik/biernik plural form (psy), but when referring to people as "dogs" (something particularly done to policemen in Polish usage), the word may receive the distinct biernik plural "psów" (while the mianownik plural must remain psy).

The example which I remember from school is about dots of fat in the soup. We call them "eyes" so "oko tłuszczu" but we would never say: "W mojej zupie są oczy" because this would literally mean that there are eyes in the soup. We would use the other pattern of pluralizing - "W zupie są oka".
Calling policemen "psy" is very insulting, but some of them have a sense of humor:

I will gladly translate the video if anyone wishes ;)
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Querneus
Blue Belt

Postby Querneus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 pm

cjareck wrote:The example which I remember from school is about dots of fat in the soup. We call them "eyes" so "oko tłuszczu" but we would never say: "W mojej zupie są oczy" because this would literally mean that there are eyes in the soup. We would use the other pattern of pluralizing - "W zupie są oka".

Yeah, in the sense of "human/animal eyes", the mianownik/biernik plural form is a survival of the old Slavic dual ('two eyes'), but in other senses it's a normal neuter-gender noun (with a plural ending in -a). Ucho and ręka have the same thing, with survivals of the old dual as well (for ucho, only when it refers to "human/animal ears", not the handles of a basket).
Calling policemen "psy" is very insulting, but some of them have a sense of humor:

I think that's quite clear... I speculate referring to any people at all as "dogs" must be very insulting in most cultures. :) It's English that's weird for being able to do that positively in the expression "top dog", as in "those guys are the top dogs of robotics" (that is, they're the best).
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 pm

StringerBell wrote:[2] Non-Masculine Personal Plurals (women, and ALL other nouns including objects and animals)

Ser wrote:I guess my explanation was not clear enough. :(

I very much appreciated your explanation, but I'm still not sure how "Personal Plurals" could include objects such as food.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:40 pm

I hate to admit it, but trying to understand how to pluralize nouns in Polish has me incredibly demotivated - to the point of wanting to give up. I haven't felt this way about Polish in a long time, maybe not even ever. I'm not planning to give up, just venting a little. I have a lot of other frustrating things going on at the moment, so maybe that's making me seeing this more insurmountable than it really is. I thought the Italian system for pluralizing was also really fucking awful when I first learned it, but now it doesn't seem so bad, so hopefully if I just stick with it, this too will seem doable at some point. Having a native language where you basically just stick "s" at the end to make most words plural makes pretty much every other language's strategy seem unnecessarily convoluted and awful. Maybe I'll look back at this next year and find it really amazing that I was having such a hard time with this concept. I hope.
2 x

Querneus
Blue Belt

Postby Querneus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:30 am

StringerBell wrote:
StringerBell wrote:[2] Non-Masculine Personal Plurals (women, and ALL other nouns including objects and animals)
Ser wrote:I guess my explanation was not clear enough. :(

I very much appreciated your explanation, but I'm still not sure how "Personal Plurals" could include objects such as food.

Oh, I guess the punctuation is confusing you. The prefix "non-" is attaching to both "masculine" and "personal" ("non-[masculine personal] plurals"), so that term refers to everything that is not inside the "masculine and personal/human" category, which would include masculine animals, masculine objects, and anything with the feminine or neuter genders.

StringerBell wrote:I hate to admit it, but trying to understand how to pluralize nouns in Polish has me incredibly demotivated - to the point of wanting to give up. I haven't felt this way about Polish in a long time, maybe not even ever. I'm not planning to give up, just venting a little. I have a lot of other frustrating things going on at the moment, so maybe that's making me seeing this more insurmountable than it really is. I thought the Italian system for pluralizing was also really fucking awful when I first learned it, but now it doesn't seem so bad, so hopefully if I just stick with it, this too will seem doable at some point. Having a native language where you basically just stick "s" at the end to make most words plural makes pretty much every other language's strategy seem unnecessarily convoluted and awful. Maybe I'll look back at this next year and find it really amazing that I was having such a hard time with this concept. I hope.

Yeah, maybe you're being forced either by the textbook or by yourself to learn this stuff too quickly. Take it easy, review a little bit at different times of the day, sleep on it.

By the way, it's true English has undergone a great amount of regularization during the past millennium, but there are still quite a few irregularities... There are irregular plurals (goose - geese), identical singulars and plurals (one sheep - three sheep), strangely formed nouns (mothers-in-law, courts martial), learnèd foreign plurals (crisis - crises, cherub - cherubim/cherubs, one ninja - three ninja/ninjas), particular academic uses (sociologies, wisdoms, stupidities...), singulars that look like plurals (darts the game, mathematics, the United States), and a slew of special cases (person - people/persons - peoples, mouse - hairy mice / obsolete mouses, the datum was collected - the data were collected, or as a mass noun: the data was collected...).
Last edited by Querneus on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”