LLorg Blog banned in China

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

LLorg Blog banned in China

Postby Querneus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 pm

I was playing with viewdns.info's Chinese Firewall Test, and I found that www.language-learners.org (the blog) is banned in China. However, forum.language-learners.org (the forum, with a distinct IP) is perfectly accessible. The Golden Shield can be strange like this sometimes, I guess. I suspect it might be because anything Western called a "blog" tends to be banned, but non-political forums are sometimes fine?
1 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Re: LLorg Blog banned in China

Postby Axon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:24 am

Ser wrote:I was playing with viewdns.info's Chinese Firewall Test, and I found that http://www.language-learners.org (the blog) is banned in China. However, forum.language-learners.org (the forum, with a distinct IP) is perfectly accessible. The Golden Shield can be strange like this sometimes, I guess. I suspect it might be because anything Western called a "blog" tends to be banned, but non-political forums are sometimes fine?

The forum and static site work fine for me on China Mobile. It's possible that that service is interpreting a long connection time as a block, because sometimes it takes me a while to open certain sites (two or three minutes to load Vox.com, a microsecond to load any Chinese website).
2 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”