Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby Elsa Maria » Sun May 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Jeff,
I'd like to ask you about the Portuguese XXI textbook. Is there an answer key? Do you think it works as a first text in European Portuguese? Thanks!
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun May 26, 2019 10:02 pm

My first real attempt at the language was in Sept 2010 when I studied it at the university (if I don't count leafing through Oxford Take Off in Portuguese in Dec 2006). The material was Portuguese XXI: textbook (incl. CD) + exercise book (incl. answer key).

The actual textbook is a bit like the typical material from the 1990s and onwards. Lots of pictures, for instance. But the text is monolingual, and fairly transparent if you know some Spanish. If not, there's a multilingual dictionary at the end (Português, Deutsch, English, Español, Français).

Perhaps there are previews online (look for Portugues XXI. Livro do Aluno. Nivel A1, author is Ana Tavares). I think there are more recent editions, so things may have changed.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri May 31, 2019 10:28 pm

2019 - Summary of week 21

CA: 56th week of Catalan - 54980 reps. Catalan is becoming more and more transparent. No doubt because it's similar to Spanish, and because I have done my daily sessions.

DA: More Matador podcasts.

ES: More scriptorium.

GD: 57th week of Gaelic - 54540 reps. The daily reps started to decrease and all of a sudden there was nothing more to review. Is this it? Apparently I've reached C1. Yeah, right.
6 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:28 am

Congrats on finishing the Gaelic course! It's another mystifying decision by the Glossika team to do it in this way, but they explained in a video that when you reach a new level, it means that you've completed the last level. So by their metric, you're B2, or at the very least you've mastered all the structures you'd need for B2 and you just need more vocabulary now. What do you think about your Gaelic these days?
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:38 pm

Axon wrote:Congrats on finishing the Gaelic course! It's another mystifying decision by the Glossika team to do it in this way, but they explained in a video that when you reach a new level, it means that you've completed the last level. So by their metric, you're B2, or at the very least you've mastered all the structures you'd need for B2 and you just need more vocabulary now. What do you think about your Gaelic these days?

The sentences during the last two-three sessions was low C1, so your comment makes sense. To answer your question - well, my Gaelic project has been 100% passive (unless you count my repeating sentences out loud). No real production, no writing, no exercises, no language exchanged, definitely no IRL interaction. But my comprehension has increased a lot (even more so for Catalan, which I mentioned in my previous post). I haven't really avoided other resources - there just wasn't enough time. In the beginning of this year I had a look at Beag air Bheag, and the website has a lot more content. So I have more work to do...
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:09 pm

2019 - Summary of week 22

At last! A week when I manage to post my summary in time.

CA: 57th week of Catalan - 54980 reps. Same story as with Gaelic. No more sentences! The horror!

DA: More Matador podcasts. I think they'll last another week, maybe two. Then what?

ES: More scriptorium.

A Glossika language at my pace (10 new sentences per day) takes 57 weeks to finish. While Gaelic is a lot more opaque than Catalan, I still think that whatever level I reached is OK based on ~18 minutes per day (~2 hours per week). If I some day decide to use the Glossika method for another language, I will use supplementary resources. (Not that they ever said that it was a stand alone method.)
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:05 pm

2019 - Summary of week 23

After finishing Glossika I thought about doing something else. Then I read posts about the latest Polyglot Gathering and became inspired to spend some time on Italian and - yes, you guessed it - Polish. As it happens, StringerBell's logs (Italian + Polish with Comprehensible Input and Polski & Italiano) have a lot of good information!

DA: Almost finished with the Matador podcasts.

ES: More scriptorium. Almost finished with New Spanish with Ease.

IT: Someone mentioned L'italiano secondo il metodo natura of which I have now read eight chapters. (Aloud, for those who wondered.) My short-term goal is to finish the book, and then perhaps continue with native content.

PL: I first had a look at FSI Polish FAST course and spent some time with the first lesson. Then I skimmed some grammar notes and while having a look at the logs again, I saw a reference to RealPolish.pl and the ~50 lessons on Youtube. I have now watched 25 of them (and repeated most of the audio aloud). Finally I had a look at First Year Polish (from University of Pittsburgh) and studied lesson 1.A. Cześć!. So far, no Anki plans. I'm not even sure I'm going to write anything down.

A fairly productive week (but I had few extra days off...).
3 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Nice that you decided to learn Polish! Is this a result of Polyglot Gathering in Poland next year?
There are some Polish courses on the yojik website:
https://www.yojik.eu/languages/DLI/DLI-Polish.html
and massive, a few thousand pages strong DLI Polish Basic Course (unfortunately without audio):
https://eric.ed.gov/?q=DLI+Polish+Basic ... d=ED033357

And if you need help in Polish, just ask ;)
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks for your reply! Yes, Polyglot Gathering is the reason. I'm not sure I'll go, but I'll at least have acquired the basics of a new language.

Thanks for the links! I found the big PDF file the other day but didn't have a close look because of the missing audio. (Now that I think of it, First Year Polish is also without audio.) Who knows, maybe it will work anyway? I saw the DLI FLAMRIC course on Livelingua but couldn't figure out which volume to start with, or rather, why the first volume is called Volume 2 Phase 1 Book 1. It doesn't look like a beginner's course.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:14 pm

2019 - Summary of week 24

DA: Some weeks ago, Iversen posted this (in another log):

Iversen wrote:Btw: my passive Norwegian is at a level where I can understand a TV program called 'Parlamentet', and that's enough for me. I think that this feat allows me to claim at least C1 for passive oral Norwegian - but I don't speak the language.

Today, I finished the second Matador podcast series. I have now devoted six months to passive oral Danish. Radio dramas, audiobooks, documentaries. All have accompanied me on my daily walks. Barring any external sound sources (traffic, wind, sea, people), most of it has been comprehensible. Random stuff, but scripted. 32 episodes of Rejseholdet and 24 of Matador. Scripted, but with visual cues (and Swedish subtitles). What else? Unscripted podcasts! The horror! On the other hand, I've been familiar with the content. Each of the abovementioned ingredients has given me challenges as well as relaxation.

I could have taken an easier path and use the written languages as a crutch, but instead I've barely read any Danish at all. And the language still entered my brain.

From now on, I'll trust my ears (especially if it's a language I can understand to some extent). Extra thanks to Theodisce for the indirect inspiration.

ES: More scriptorium. Some ten lessons left of New Spanish with Ease.

IT: Another eight chapters of L'italiano secondo il metodo natura. I don't look anything up. I have some experience with Italian through Duolingo and Slow Italian (last year), but that's about it. Either this book is very well written, or the language is relatively easy. Possibly both.

PL: FSI Polish FAST - lesson two (more or less according to the instructions). The remaining ~25 lessons from the RealPolish playlist (just watching the videos and sometimes repeating aloud). First Year Polish - 1.B. Dzień dobry! (just skimming the lesson). The big document - lesson 1 and 2 (reading aloud).

What language will now accompany me on my walks? Stay tuned for next update...
9 x

Return to “Language logs”