Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby StringerBell » Wed May 15, 2019 5:13 pm

What are you plans for Russian after your trip there? Do you think you'll drop it, continue on with it in the same way, or spend less time with it in favor of a different language?
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm

StringerBell wrote:What are you plans for Russian after your trip there? Do you think you'll drop it, continue on with it in the same way, or spend less time with it in favor of a different language?

I think it depends how the trip goes!

My provisional plan is to continue with the 365 challenge in Russian once I get back, so at least 30 minutes a day for the rest of the year. But once the trip is over, the pressure to spend all my spare time on Russian will also be over and I want to revert back to spending more time on Croatian. I have lots of Croatian novels to read and lots of Croatian series to watch, and I love Croatian in a way in which I just don't seem able to love Russian. I also have a few Bulgarian resources I want to play with prior to going to Bulgaria for a week in September :-)

If the Russia trip is a disaster and I really don't enjoy it there, I may completely lose motivation to continue learning Russian. I hope that doesn't happen, because I've wanted to be able to read in Russian for about 15 years now and this is the closest I've ever got to that stage, despite various failed attempts. I love Boris Akunin novels so I have a life goal of being able to read them in Russian :-)
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 pm

15 May
I got to work at 08.30 and left at 20.30 so not the best of days.

Russian
The day got off to a brilliant start when my train was cancelled. The next train is only 20 minutes later, but it obviously had two train's worth of people trying to cram onto it, so not the most pleasant of experiences. I did manage to stand in a position where I could do Memrise though, so between waiting for the train and standing on it I got nearly an hour of Memrise done. That means I've learned loads of new phrases from the Russian 2 course and my reviews tomorrow are going to be horrific :lol:

Over the course of walking to and from the office plus part of the train journey home I completed lesson 20 of Pimsleur 2. Once I got home I didn't really feel like doing anything, so just wanted a couple of videos.

Total time = 113 minutes. Streak = 135 days
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 pm

16 May
I got to work at 08.30 and left at 19.30, so an hour better than yesterday :lol: I think I'm going to have to work on Saturday again.

Russian
My train wasn't cancelled today so for approximately 4 minutes at the station this morning I felt like my day was off to a better start. After 4 minutes, they announced that the train was coming with one fewer carriage than normal :cry: So I ended up very squashed again! But I did manage to just about maintain enough personal space to do Memrise.

Lesson 21 of Pimsleur 2 is now completed :) The past few lessons have been practising using words like нужно and должен in the past tense which has been useful because I was still quite hazy about when the past tense is neuter and when it isn't. I remember this being covered really well in Colloquial Russian somewhere, but it's a long time since I've picked up that book.

There was a new Russian Progress video out today and I've watched it several times; firstly a couple of times without subtitles, then with the subtitles. There's still some things I can't catch without subtitles but in general I feel fairly happy with my comprehension abilities at the moment. My problems are just my inability to formulate a sentence myself... or remember any of the grammar rules... or remember which syllable a word is stressed on until I've seen it fifty million times on Memrise.

I couldn't be bothered to do anything else this evening even though I had time, because working long hours is starting to make me grumpy.

Total time = 73 minutes. Streak = 136 days
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri May 17, 2019 10:01 pm

17 May
A shorter working day today because I was at a client and they locked their doors at 5 :)

Russian
My bad luck with trains continues. I had two to catch this morning and the first one was perfect, but the second one was delayed and then cancelled because of a signalling problem. In total across the day I did 35 minutes of Memrise, but I wasn't able to make much use of the time when I was delayed - although it was quite a long time - because it involved a lot of checking departure boards in the station, checking departure boards on my phone and running between platforms depending on what the latest information was about where a train might possibly appear.

The journey home went more smoothly. I had 20 minutes standing waiting for a train so I did lesson 22 of Pimsleur 2. It was a small station and I was pretty much the only person there, so I was able to do the responses out loud without looking like a complete weirdo :lol:

This evening I've also had about half an hour of listening to Russian, mainly a podcast from Russian Progress.

Total time = 94 minutes. Streak = 137 days
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 pm

18 May
Today has been a bit pitiful for Russian. I worked from breakfast to lunch and then in the afternoon I was mainly reading my new Ukraine guidebook, which arrived in the week. I did already have a Ukraine guidebook but it was 2011 when I last went to Kiev so I figured it might be a bit out of date. And then I got a bit carried away planning a Lapland trip for new year.

Russian
I spent some more time listening to Russian, in particular a Russian Progress video about Парк зарядье in Moscow. I struggled a bit with this one without the subtitles.

Apart from that, I've just done Memrise. I've got a lot of reviews every day at the moment because I spent so much time learning new vocab from the Russian 2 course when I was squeezed onto the train the other day.

I did mean to do more studying this evening, but I'd forgotten that it was Eurovision!

Total time = 37 minutes. Streak = 138 days
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun May 19, 2019 9:26 pm

19 May
Today turned out to not be any better than yesterday :oops:

Russian
I was going to do some grammar study this morning, but I also wanted to read my Moscow and St Petersburg guidebooks... Time ran away from me and then in the afternoon I went to see my parents... so basically all I've done today is half an hour of Memrise and watching a few Russian Progress videos.

I've got a really busy day at work ahead tomorrow and I bet that somehow I'll manage to get more Russian done than over this entire weekend :lol:

Total time = 47 minutes. Streak = 139 days
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun May 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Hey, when's your Russia trip? Feel free to PM me if you want any recommendations for Moscow. I love that city!
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon May 20, 2019 1:00 am

Can you send me your recs too? :lol: I'm curious what you liked and if there's any cool stuff i've overlooked/ignored :D
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Meddysong
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (C1), French (C1), Italian (B1); a smattering of various other languages, principally Romance ones.

Postby Meddysong » Mon May 20, 2019 5:31 am

IronMike wrote:Hey, when's your Russia trip?
Don't ask her that! I keep getting in trouble for mentioning that it's two weeks away! Plus we've got a trip to Kiev next weekend. At least that means she'll get a bit of practice in before we go.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”