You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby PfifltriggPi » Thu May 02, 2019 12:46 pm

... You turn what should be a simple five minute presentation for your French class into a 12+ minute fire-hose of information about Old French, touching on Jersey Norman and Occitan.
7 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu May 02, 2019 10:27 pm

... and now it bothers me that I don't know anything about Jersey Norman.

EDIT: But now I have listened to a couple of videos in Jersey Norman (Jèrriais), so the precedent sentence isn't true any longer. Now I know that Jèrriais is almost comprehensible if you just listen to everything three times (and know a little bit of French).
5 x

Bilingual_monoglot
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (n) Tamil (n-heritage) French Esperanto (can talk about language policy/lepak, and nothing else) Hindi (bumbling tourist) Malay (basic conversations) Chinese (introductions and ordering food)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16715

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 pm

... When your Tamil teacher assigned you a composition on the importance of maintaining the mother tongue and instead of talking about Tamil in Singapore, you talk about Māori and Irish
... When your friends suggest writing your Tamil exams in Chinese and Malay
... When the things you want your parents to get you for your birthday are an Esperanto linguatee and some language books
... You're the only person who does not get annoyed by your classmate constantly speaking Chinese during Maths class
6 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri May 03, 2019 5:49 pm

...when you're sitting in a café and cannot choose whether to continue reading in your L2 or focus more on eavesdropping impolitely the group behind you speaking in L3 or the one in front of you talking in L4.
13 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 pm

When you are reading english comments on Youtube about Colombia and when someone talks about famous colombians you read "James Rodriguez" the english way and wonder who this person is, and then, to make more sense of it, you decide to read the name again, but this time in the spanish way and then you realize they are talking about the soccer player XD!
2 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:22 am

When you are on a budget and buy all the books of a series based on their price tag and not on the language they are in.
7 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:28 am

When you rewatch a TV episode and realize that one scene was in a different language and you didn't even notice the first time through. (Hotel Beau Séjour episode 4 has a scene in German in case you were wondering)
6 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:14 am

When you are lying in the recovery ward after surgery, doing a language audit of staff and patients.

Hey, that Indian looking doctor is speaking Mandarin to that patient! I suppose he’s from Singapore or Malaysia.

That nurse just asked another nurse “who?” in Malay. What’s going on? Are they being secretive? Cause everything else official is happening in English. Or just familiar? Or am I so out of it that I’m imagining it? I’d better pick up if I’m going to finish my 365 day challenge commitment!

That was yesterday. I managed to fulfil my challenge.
15 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:59 pm

When you are doing your homework for the korean class, and when you have to write your friend's name in hangul (the korean alphabet) you subconsciously write it in katakana (one of the japanese syllabaries) because you were slightly distracted by something else.
2 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:57 am

When you don't mind to learn ANY new language...
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”