The Forum Book Club thread 2020. August: Tiempos recios

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Re: The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. March: The Swallows of Kabul (February: Metro 2033)

Postby badger » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 pm

I've read about 200 pages (of 650). it wouldn't be my normal choice of book in English, but I've persevered as an exercise in reading practise.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. March: The Swallows of Kabul (February: Metro 2033)

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:40 pm

MamaPata wrote:How is everyone going with the Shadow of the Wind? I have barely started, so I’ve got a lot ahead of me this week! I suspect I will have to join the discussion a week or so after everyone else.

Do people have suggestions for what they want to read in May?

I’m enjoying it, but I’m way behind too. I’m not even halfway done.
1 x

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:19 am

MamaPata wrote:How is everyone going with the Shadow of the Wind? I have barely started, so I’ve got a lot ahead of me this week! I suspect I will have to join the discussion a week or so after everyone else.

Contrary to my idea of getting a headstart I just started reading seriously over the Easter holidays. I'm about 100 pages in now and I have to say that I'm struggling. Reading the book is a reality check for my Spanish. After the first dozen pages, I decided to get a translation to reread passages I don't understand. Now I'm reading the English and Spanish version in parallel and even in the English version there are plenty of words unbeknown to me. (I wanted to get the German translation, but it was not available at my library). I think/hope I will finish the book by the end of May. Personally, I don't mind spoilers so I'm looking forward to the discussion here even if I haven't finished yet.
0 x
Corrections are welcome!

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:35 am

Philipp wrote:

Contrary to my idea of getting a headstart I just started reading seriously over the Easter holidays. I'm about 100 pages in now and I have to say that I'm struggling. Reading the book is a reality check for my Spanish. After the first dozen pages, I decided to get a translation to reread passages I don't understand. Now I'm reading the English and Spanish version in parallel and even in the English version there are plenty of words unbeknown to me. (I wanted to get the German translation, but it was not available at my library). I think/hope I will finish the book by the end of May. Personally, I don't mind spoilers so I'm looking forward to the discussion here even if I haven't finished yet.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds it a bit of a reality check. The author writes beautifully, but there is still a lot of unknown vocabulary for me. It seems like no matter how much vocabulary I learn, I never make a dent. There’s always so much more left to learn.
1 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:24 pm

I'm reading the German translation but have struggled to get beyond the blind girl face touching stereotype early on in the book. Can anyone reassure me that it gets better?
0 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:36 am

I've only read about 36 pages (in the Italian version) and I'm bored with it. As far as the writing I've come across very few unknown words. Last week I thought I'd give it a chance but this week I'm not sure I will. If I do return to it I probably won't finish it for months.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:57 am

As nobody seems to have suggested any books for May, shall we just continue with Shadow of the Wind. It sounds like quite a few of us are still going with it.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 pm

I didn't read Shadow of the Wind this round, but I've read it in the past - once in English, and then in Spanish. It is one of those books that you should not read twice. I really enjoyed it in English, though I was a bit confused on some of the plot twists at the end. I figured the story would make more sense when I read it the second time.

It didn't.
1 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 pm

I gave up after reading about a third, which I think qualifies as a good try. I wasn't defeated by the language, I just wasn't enjoying it & I have other books I'd rather be reading. I have subsequently read a plot summary on wiki to see if it turns out like I thought it would, which it does, so I doubt I'll be going back to finish it off.
1 x

David27
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Re: The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. The Shadow of the Wind

Postby David27 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:28 am

Man a lot of negative reactions. I read it back in 2011 and remember really enjoying it. As a kid I remember escaping to books, and loving the charectors and plot, wondering about the authors and their lives as well, so the story surrounding this plot resonated with me, and the setting of Barcelona in the 40’s I think is intentional as a message against censorship. Now, from a language enthusiast perspective, it’s also interesting that Catalan isn’t mentioned once that I recall. I don’t remember exactly how the pacing felt, it was actually the first book I read in Spanish, so I think I may have had some difficulty in the beginning, but eventually it became a page-turner for me especially as I got to the section of Julian Carax.

Since some here said it’s not good the second time around, I’m picking it up again to see what I think. So far I’m 40 pages in and it’s going alright.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”