Classical Languages - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Classical Languages - Study Group

Postby IronMike » Thu May 02, 2019 6:32 pm

Only what I learned on TY's page. And it is on Amazon already for pre-order.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Sahmilat
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Sahmilat » Thu May 02, 2019 7:54 pm

The Cambridge Grammar of Classical Greek
*excited noises*

The ebook is out and the physicals should release in a week.
2 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:56 pm

From Mark Atherton's Oxford page:

A completely revised edition of Teach Yourself Old English (Anglo-Saxon) is planned for early 2018, with a new appendix of set texts including the poems The Wanderer, The Dream of the Rood and extracts from Beowulf. This book has already appealed to a wide readership: it is aimed at learners without other experience of learning a language; it presents Old English passages in the context of their time, teaching vocabulary and grammar as it arises in the texts. The connections with modern English are made explicit; an audio recording of the passages on CD eases the learning process.

I really like his first edition so, I'll probably pick this one up as well, especially considering there will be new audio material.

I have high hopes for the Old Norse and Gothic courses, plus it looks like 2020 will have finally a new TYS Sanskrit.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu May 02, 2019 11:49 pm

Any idea when TYS Sanskrit is due?
0 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Fri May 03, 2019 12:35 am

Carmody wrote:Any idea when TYS Sanskrit is due?
It was initially planned to be released last year and it could be even pre-ordered from some online bookstores. Then it disappeared from online bookstores. According to the TY website IronMike linked, it is to be released October next year. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
2 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Fri May 03, 2019 1:38 am

aravinda wrote:
Carmody wrote:Any idea when TYS Sanskrit is due?
It was initially planned to be released last year and it could be even pre-ordered from some online bookstores. Then it disappeared from online bookstores. According to the TY website IronMike linked, it is to be released October next year. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Indeed. Amazon has been listing a book entitled Classical Chinese: Introduction to Grammar by famed professors Naiying Yuan, Haitao Tang and James Geiss (authors of a series of published textbooks on Classical Chinese) for pre-orders since 2014 or so. When I pre-ordered it in July 2015 it had a publish date of August 2016. Time passed and the date kept being pushed further and further, and I ended up cancelling the pre-order some time in 2017.

If you check the current entry on Amazon, it now says it will be published in March 2020. It hasn't stopped being delayed...
3 x

Sahmilat
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Sahmilat » Fri May 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Does anyone know if the new TY Sanskrit is essentially a reprint of the old one, or if it's entirely new? I'd like something with more reading practice than the original TY Sanskrit.
0 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:46 pm

Sahmilat wrote:Does anyone know if the new TY Sanskrit is essentially a reprint of the old one, or if it's entirely new? I'd like something with more reading practice than the original TY Sanskrit.

The two people who have been editing/revising the Coulson Sanskrit do not have anything on their Oxford pages, Benson's simply maintained that he revises Coulson's book for TYS. Whereas Atherton's (above, Old English) did have information about the new revisions forthcoming. Additionally, Amazon does not have a pre-order set up for a new TYS Sanskrit course.

If you want more reading practice, there are a handful of really great books out there already. Peter Scharf's Ramopakhyana is what I see recommended the most, and Egene's Introduction to Sanskrit as well.
2 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:13 am

For all the Beowulf fans with extra cash laying around:

Beowulf Deluxe Illustrated Edition is available from Easton Press. I really like the artist, Yoann Lossel, which is how I came across this book. Rather unfortunately, it is a Modern English translation, but still a great collector's item.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu May 30, 2019 12:23 am

Readings in Ancient Greek
1. Julius Tomin http://www.juliustomin.org: Several recordings of various authors.

2. David Chamberlain https://archive.org/details/@daveamch
24 Books of The Iliad
7 Books of The Odyssey
(Thanks to marccmueller of Textkit for this:
https://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=64685&p=204588&hilit=tomin#p204396)

I have only sampled both readers. Their reading style is different, but so far I like both.
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Study Groups”