April 2019 LLORG Poll

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: April 2019 LLORG Poll

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:19 pm

and "Translation practice (in the style of Assimil)" is not what I would call Assimil. Listen for understanding, repeat, shadow, chorusing, is what you should be doing with Assimil. Passive and Active production waves.

But I understood what was meant.
5 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:36 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Audiolingual generally refers to the drilling method I described, but it seems some people refer to anything containing a large amount of audio as audiolingual. It’s not though. It refers to a specific method of teaching using rapid drilling techniques until responses become completely automatic. It’s one of my favorite methods, but it’s quite different from Pimsleur and Michel Thomas, so I don’t think I’d put them in the same category as they often seem to appeal to different kinds of people.

I'll change it for the next poll. As of now it's too late to change what I've got. See you in six months :P
1 x

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Bumping this thread so people see the poll because it's got about a week left 'til it closes. We have 32 responses so far, some of which might be duplicates, assuming by the type of fill-in responses I got.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:58 pm

The question about my log I didn't answer, because there was no "sometimes" option...

How much time do you spend consuming native content or producing the target language for enjoyment (listening to/reading books, speaking/writing in the target language for the purpose of communication) a week?

That one is tricky when you live in the country... So I chooe the 16+ h option, because well, I use Finnish probably a lot here. But honestly I don't know how many hours I speak in/listen to Finnish every week. And is it all just for enjoyment? Well, that's a good question. But since I happen to communicate at work, the purpose of communication is certainly fulfilled.

As a suggestion for the next poll: Maybe add a question like "Do you live in a country/region, where one of your target languages is the main* language of communication?" It's somehow in the immersion option of one of the other questions, but still it might be interesting to know. Or what do you think?

*Maybe including second official languages, if they are useful for the purpose of living there.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:30 pm

tiia wrote:That one is tricky when you live in the country... So I choose the 16+ h option, because well, I use Finnish probably a lot here.

I'll keep that in mind.

Last call for the poll!

How would you like me to summarize the results for you guys? What do you think about the poll? (<-- Don't hammer me with "it sucks!" automatically. Use a little decorum, won't you?)
0 x

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Wed May 01, 2019 4:49 pm

Alright, poll's over! I let it run more days by accident :oops:

We didn't get as many responses as last time -- ten less.

I'll probably need help with my math since it seems some responses were repeated and I don't know how to count the responses of people that didn't follow the directions.

WRAP-UP QUESTIONS
  • How would you make this poll more clear for next time?
  • What would you add or take away?
  • What did you like about it?
  • Do you find it useful?
Also, I'm not going to view the individual response of the person who did this, but someone put one (I'm not sure if they have more) of their target languages as a constructed (made-up) language. My heart instantly said, "Sure, we can add that for next time," but then I thought, "Do you really learn a conlang? Isn't it something you make up?" So what say you guys? Should I add this to the poll for the next round? Unless they're learning Esperanto...

What other languages families should I consider adding? I asked this question already once, but nobody responded. Please respond :(

Summing up the results in my basic way now:

About the same amount of people are living in Europe and North America, the two most popular choices.

People's native languages are, in order, in the...
1. Germanic family
2. Romance family
3. Slavic family

Most respondents have been on LLORG for a year or more.

54.5% of respondents find that a log helps keep them accountable, if they have one. This was an optional question.

Most people are here for advice, discussing how to learn a language, and getting motivation.

In order, people's target languages belong to these families...
1. Romance
2. Germanic
3. Slavic
...with a guest appearance by Sino-Tibetan.

People overwhelmingly study with native content, but also with textbooks -- that was the second most popular choice.

People mostly study languages for enjoyment and to connect to a foreign people and culture.

Most people only have one native language, and most respondents are fluent (B2) in at least one other language.

Phew!
4 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu May 02, 2019 3:23 pm

It was Esperanto. As the source languages for Esperanto come from many branches of the IE family, I put conlang.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Thu May 02, 2019 4:04 pm

IronMike wrote:It was Esperanto. As the source languages for Esperanto come from many branches of the IE family, I put conlang.

Adding it!
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”