日本語 + Русский + norsk (part 1, CLOSED)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Re: 日本語 + Русский focus

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm

I love that I'm not alone in my current Memrise-hate! Please, by all means use my log as a place to vent, it makes me feel better :lol:

I guess my current frustration is that we have no idea what Decks is even going to look like and what functionality it'll have. It might be amazing, in which case I'm wasting my time on getting Anki configured the way I want it. Or it might be awful, in which case I have to hurry to continue importing my courses because we have no idea if we can do imports from Decks in the near future (I'm sure someone will write a script to do it at some later point)/

Also:
memrise.PNG

To add insult to injury :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:50 pm

I am just hoping that the mobile site resembles the app and not the Memrise mobile site

Most likely it won't. When they mentioned "mobile-friendly" I went to check what it means. Basically you're able to open the website using a browser app. If the website was "responsive" that would mean it'd adjust the content to the screen, but since it's just "mobile-friendly", things will appear small and a person will have to use the zoom in/out in order to see things properly. (source)

I'm sour enough to genuinely wish Memrise will go bankrupt over this bullshit move. (...)
I love that I'm not alone in my current Memrise-hate! Please, by all means use my log as a place to vent, it makes me feel better :lol:

I can join and bring some popcorn while we watch them realize soon how they chose poorly... :x :twisted:

I guess my current frustration is that we have no idea what Decks is even going to look like and what functionality it'll have.

The only info (related to functionality) they gave was the features available/not available in Decks. I can only assume that it'll be like a copy paste of Memrise website, with the addition that a couple of pro features (listening skills and difficult words) will become free. On the other hand, offline mode and an app won't exist anymore (for Decks). The memrise app will be just for their official courses. All of this isn't looking good at all! :?

EDIT - I just went to the memrise forum and there could be some slim hope! We'll have to see about that... (source post) :shock:
I can say that we’ve heard the feedback about the lack of a mobile app/offline mode for Decks - it has led us to look again at that.
0 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm

dicentra8 wrote:
I guess my current frustration is that we have no idea what Decks is even going to look like and what functionality it'll have.

The only info (related to functionality) they gave was the features available/not available in Decks. I can only assume that it'll be like a copy paste of Memrise website, with the addition that a couple of pro features (listening skills and difficult words) will become free. On the other hand, offline mode and an app won't exist anymore (for Decks). The memrise app will be just for their official courses. All of this isn't looking good at all! :?

EDIT - I just went to the memrise forum and there could be some slim hope! We'll have to see about that... (source post) :shock:
I can say that we’ve heard the feedback about the lack of a mobile app/offline mode for Decks - it has led us to look again at that.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh no, I don't want to get too hopeful :shock:
(That entire post is... fascinating, to say the least.)
3 x

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:01 pm

brilliantyears wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh no, I don't want to get too hopeful :shock:

Me neither. :( I'll try to avoid thinking about it and just wait for them to release the website.
0 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Well...

Turns out that I was not just 'burned out' (words I use regularly when it comes to language learning specifically) but too damn close to an actual burn out (work and private life related). I am doing slightly better (the nice weather certainly helps). I took a break from most things with the exception of work. I'm still taking it easy, trying not to take on too many obligations. I still get extremely tired when I have several things going on and have to manage my energy.

I kind of miss the forum and I want to come back permanently at some point but tracking stuff is too much pressure right now :?

Still, a quick language update...

Russian: I did not quit Russian classes, although I have been putting in pretty minimal effort. We had a small practice exam in class last week and honestly we were all far behind, so I'm slowly trying to up my Russian game. The fact Memrise has reviewed their changes has helped my mood significantly.
I still do so love the language! I might see if I can squeeze in a city trip to somewhere Russian-speaking some time later this year... (recommendations for cheap destinations are welcome!)

Japanese: I FINISHED HARRY POTTER B######! 8-) Now I can finally drop the language. (j/k, obviously)

German: I've got good (work related) reasons to do some serious maintenance on my German, but I have no idea how to go about it yet. Went to Germany for work and had absolutely no problem understanding and communicating. I'm currently reading Momo by Michael Ende and it's easy. I really only need to work on my (written) grammar.

Mandarin: Mandarin? Yes, Mandarin. No great ambitions, but after years of wanting to go I've finally booked a trip to Taiwan for October! Might do a little DuoLingo to brush up my knowledge but that's it. (Classical vs simplified is not a problem.)

SC update:

Japanese (half challenge)
Reading: 11.1 books, 557 pages (total)
15 Feb 2019 ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 25 pages
16 Feb 2019 ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 54 pages

Watching: 58 films, 5,224 minutes (total)
06 Feb 2019 るろうに剣心 -明治剣客浪漫譚- 維新志士への鎮魂歌
15 Feb 2019 ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 disc 4 48 minutes
02 Mar 2019 僕らの愛の奏で 71 minutes

--

Russian (half challenge)
Reading: 2.8 books, 140 pages (total)

Watching: 57.7 films, 5,196 minutes (total)
06 Apr 2019 the white crow 127 minutes
20 Apr 2019 Лето 126 minutes

The White Crow had a lot more Russian than I was expecting, although I can do without Ralph Fiennes' Russian mumbling. Still, quite a beautiful movie.
Same goes for Лето, a movie about the band Кино. I had absolutely no idea what to expect. The actual band parts were kind of good but also nowhere in the movie did you get the idea that this was actually a significant band. But the overall movie was rad, a lot more positive than I had anticipated, and I absolutely recommend it! Totally not what I was expecting.
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:44 pm

Good to hear from you - sorry it's been so tough. Look after yourself!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:13 pm

brilliantyears wrote:Same goes for Лето, a movie about the band Кино. I had absolutely no idea what to expect. The actual band parts were kind of good but also nowhere in the movie did you get the idea that this was actually a significant band. But the overall movie was rad, a lot more positive than I had anticipated, and I absolutely recommend it! Totally not what I was expecting.

Yeah, the movie doesn't really give a good idea of just how iconic Kino and Viktor Tsoi in particular were and in many ways still are, mainly because it's based on the events of their early years as a band (with the slightly longer historical timeline condensed into the events of a single summer), back when they were semi-underground and "widely known in narrow circles" at best. My dad, who actually went to concerts in the original Leningrad Rock Club, says that the movie captured the feel of the era really well, even if it did play a little loose with the details (though to be fair, a few of the people who were involved in the actual events strongly disagreed with the portrayal). I think Tsoi's brief cameo at the end of the movie Assa (Асса, 1987) gives an idea of the image he projected closer to the height of his fame and what he is still remembered as.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:00 am

Well...

Turns out that I was not just 'burned out' (words I use regularly when it comes to language learning specifically) but too damn close to an actual burn out (work and private life related). I am doing slightly better (the nice weather certainly helps). I took a break from most things with the exception of work. I'm still taking it easy, trying not to take on too many obligations. I still get extremely tired when I have several things going on and have to manage my energy.

I admire you for this. I am chronically unable to do that kind of thing, and consequently it means my anxiety plays up more.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Re: 日本語 + Русский focus + a little bonus العربية

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:42 am

Super quick update:
    - Mental state is slightly better thanks to the arrival of summer - that really does help. Still not doing amazing, still doing the bare minimum everything.

- It's been over a month and I never mentioned it here but: I passed Russian A2.2!

- In the plot twistiest plot twist to ever twist plots: I am going to start an intensive summer course in Arabic. For work, no less. 3 weeks in August, up to level A1.2. Funnily enough learning Arabic was a jokey bucket list thing (gotta catch'em all!) but I didn't envision it happening for another few years. Not going to pass up an opportunity when it's handed to me, though! My main reason for picking it up is because I want to be able to understand at least the bare minimum (again, for work purposes, and more isn't needed) and be able to read the script. Right now I don't have the ambition to be completely serious about it (although who knows - I might end up absolutely loving it) so I don't think I'll continue after those three weeks. But we'll see!

- In other words: main focus is still Russian. Confession: haven't touched it since passing the exam at the end of May. Ahem.
Last edited by brilliantyears on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
9 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Re: 日本語 + Русский focus + a little bonus العربية

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am

brilliantyears wrote:Super quick update:
    - In the plot twistiest plot twist to ever twist plots: I am going to start an intensive summer course in Arabic. For work, no less. 3 weeks in August, up to level A1.2. Funnily enough learning Arabic was a jokey bucket list thing (gotta catch'em all!) but I didn't envision it happening for another few years. Not going to pass up an opportunity when it's handed to me, though! My main reason for picking it up is because I want to be able to understand at least the bare minimum (again, for work purposes, and more isn't needed) and be able to read the script. Right now I don't have the ambition to be completely serious about it (although who knows - I might end up absolutely loving it) so I don't think I'll continue after those three weeks. But we'll see!

My course doesn't start until August, but since it's an intensive course and I also have to work the remaining hours of each day, I started preparing by learning Arabic script (with a little help of Duo). Hopefully I can get far enough so I can study some vocab ahead of time as well (bless the person who has created a Memrise deck for the book we're going to be working with!).
Last edited by brilliantyears on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”