The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
For the leaderboard, if you would like to be on there with your final scores for Dutch, please let me know - i.e. what were your final scores for Dutch? If you don't know, no big deal, you just won't have a registered score on the leaderboard.

My final score for Dutch is 90.

Thanks Elsa Maria. A respectable score of 90, well done ;) You're now on the ongoing leaderboard with 90 as your final score. Good luck with Danish! (wish I had the time to try it on for size myself, but hey with 7 languages on my list in the other thread... well too many of us suffer from this affliction).
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:36 am

I have 53 ‘active’ competitors listed for this challenge, yet only 22 i think at latest count have provided scores for March.

If you’re reading this and signed up for this challenge but are no longer participating and haven’t yet informed me as such, I ask that you please do the curteous thing and let me know.
1 x

Jim
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (frosty intermediate), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5766

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:18 am

Apologies PM, I am one of the 31. I missed a couple of days at the start of March and lost track of my score. I think withdrawing from end of Feb makes the most sense if you’re happy with that - final score 43. I’m still with the challengers in spirit though and endeavouring to do something every day. Best of luck all.
1 x
La hora más oscura es la que viene antes del nacimiento del sol

Merci de corriger mes erreurs !

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 am

Jim wrote:Apologies PM, I am one of the 31. I missed a couple of days at the start of March and lost track of my score. I think withdrawing from end of Feb makes the most sense if you’re happy with that - final score 43. I’m still with the challengers in spirit though and endeavouring to do something every day. Best of luck all.

Thanks Jim, no worries, I appreciate the reply :) Keep up the regular study habits ;)
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Hey Peter, I wrote to you in the other 365 thread. I forgot to update the thread for March, which I did in that other thread. I won't forget to update for April late next week.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:46 pm

IronMike wrote:Hey Peter, I wrote to you in the other 365 thread. I forgot to update the thread for March, which I did in that other thread. I won't forget to update for April late next week.

Yep, no worries, I received your message at the time and updated your score then (see March leaderboard in scoring thread).

Side note:
I believe that there are very few participating beyond the numbers reported. So now with 52 ‘active’ participants and 22 participants having provided scores for March, I’d hazard a guess that under 30 are actually participating at this point in the competition.
3 x

Formeo
Languages: Deutsch/German (Native)
American English (B1)
Japanese (A1 ~ A2)
Tagalog (Beginner)
Afrikaans (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10441

Postby Formeo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:00 am

I think I'll give this a try. I'll join with Japanese.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:40 am

Formeo wrote:I think I'll give this a try. I'll join with Japanese.

Hi Formeo and welcome. I just need you to confirm your start date. April 28th?

As the challenge is already under way, I just want to let you know that as per the rules of the challenge, for those starting after the 1st of Feb 2019, your finish date will be 31st of Jan 2020. Therefore, you will not complete a full 365 days of the challenge, even if you do not miss a single day of study. Let me know how you feel about all this.
0 x

Formeo
Languages: Deutsch/German (Native)
American English (B1)
Japanese (A1 ~ A2)
Tagalog (Beginner)
Afrikaans (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10441

Postby Formeo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:34 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hi Formeo and welcome. I just need you to confirm your start date. April 28th?

Uh, no sorry, I wanted to start April 29th, tomorrow. Forgot to mention this.

PeterMollenburg wrote:As the challenge is already under way, I just want to let you know that as per the rules of the challenge, for those starting after the 1st of Feb 2019, your finish date will be 31st of Jan 2020. Therefore, you will not complete a full 365 days of the challenge, even if you do not miss a single day of study. Let me know how you feel about all this.

Yes I have read that and yes, I am okay with it.
1 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:37 pm

I am announcing a switch from Spanish only to generic. I gladly announce my intent, as suggested per the rules, but am doing so here since I think a few of you might be interested in the reasoning that I share in journal-like form (clearly ignoring brevity and also scampering away from my actual journal to write a few words in English). I prefer not to clutter up the scoring thread with the self same message. The rules are sufficiently flexible (thanks Peter!) to allow for a proper decision in my case, even though I juggle only two foreign languages. That is another good reason to place the elaboration here.

Strategy and decision: I finished three years of consistent Spanish study at month's end May 2019. After the dust settled, it left me with intermediate skills in writing and speaking and advanced skills in reading and listening. I started L3 (DE) in May 2019. Starting new habits are tough, and I wanted to wait and see how things went with DE. Relevant to this challenge, I am leaning heavily on my L2 (ES) for an assist in adding L3 (DE). After a month of dedicated German study, much of which included Assimil and Duolingo, both sourced in Spanish, I can see a small but clear improvement in my Spanish that I believe came from learning German with it. I don't mind if others interpret that as an endorsement as my experience doing this has been quite positive. All this is in addition to a slight ES listening taper, coincident with a conscious move toward more desk study and away from brute listening. Retrospectively, I had been on what amounted to an all out assault on Spanish listening, which was successful and for the record, I likely listened a few months more than needed, dipping mildly into a bucket of diminishing returns. I didn't think of it that way in the moment, but looking back and looking at the hours....

Separately, I feel that my German habit has more than less taken hold, and thus I am comfortable switching to generic. I would like the flexibility to do some days in pure German without English or Spanish (or anything else romantic for that matter, which notably is a wide-open revolving door that smacks me every now and again, sometimes in the nose, other times in the rear) should the whim strike. I chose generic also over pure DE to reflect the duality that I am consciously using as much ES as I can reasonably fit, deferring, when appropriate, to specific English resources that would be detrimental to skip in my better holistic judgment. I have a few side quests going on that I can elaborate on elsewhere, but pertinently, I find learning an L3 far more enjoyable from an L2 than I do from L1. Part of my reasoning traces back to 35+ years as a monolingual and having been a bit bored with a single language. It is also a way to stay planted firmly in language learning, balancing, quite literally, my constant employment with EN living in TX. Yet another part of it is that I was searching for an ideal way to push L2 to advanced in one of my output areas (and speaking sure as ____ isn't happening first), and I think I can do this with writing by learning DE. I am killing four capital letters with one heavy stone, but quite honestly, I had not really figured out how I was going to push ES writing. It was less a matter of how to do it, which is trivial thanks to this forum, but rather of how to get myself to actually do it, which is the question that comes pat to the purpose.

Yet another way of putting it is that bootstrapping an L3 using L2 adds motivation and beginner excitement to habit, making for a cool summer wave to surf in on.

So generic it is now, and generic I predict it to be for the last 7/12 of this [challenge + journey]. My only regret is not having written this announcement in ES, would have been good practice. I have an idea or two for writing practice though that I will share in rdearman's crazy challenge thread.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”