Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:
rdearman wrote:I've seriously not done any work with languages for a long time now, and I really don't see myself doing any more work in the immediate future. I'm going to the gathering but not really holding out much hope of showing any improvement in any language that I've listed myself as studying. In fact, I'm positive that both vonPeterhof and Zenmonkey have surpassed me in Setswana. But hey, I'm the "typhoid Mary" of languages, I'm just a carrier and don't seem to get infected myself.

I seem to have caught another part of the disease, I have done zero Setswana for weeks. We can sit in the corner while Brun Ugle and vonPeterhof chat in the language.

I keep telling you I’ve given up on Setswana and you keep trying to drag me back in. How am I going to find time for French and Hebrew if I have to learn Setswana?

Rings on her fingers, rings on her toes. I don't have the answer but it might be counter productive to drop one, just to restart something else.

But if you really are starting French or Hebrew, yes, drop Setswana.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 pm

zenmonkey wrote:if you really are starting French or Hebrew,

She didn't say OR she said AND. We have it in writing. :)
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:23 pm

rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:if you really are starting French or Hebrew,

She didn't say OR she said AND. We have it in writing. :)

Are there still an appreciable amount of Yiddish speakers in France? You could learn their dialect then and say you're learning both at the same time.
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:29 am

In Copenhagen for Easter. I just left breakfast at the hotel where the table behind me were speaking Italian. The table to the right speaking French, my wife talking to me in English and my brain screaming at me " WTF are you doing to me!"
11 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Well back to work today, and because it is a short week I've decided to try to commute. It takes me awhile, about 2 hours in each direction driving. So we'll see how it goes for a week. On the drive up this morning I put on an episode of Carabineri and listened to the dialogue with the screen blanked out. On the way home I'd downloaded some podcasts and listened to one of those. I still don't understand enough. I don't believe the extensive listening or watching is helping me much. On the plane trip back I was watching some Netflix shows in French with subtitles. I understand this mainly because I'm reading it. Otherwise don't understand sweet FA. Once again I'm discouraged and really don't think languages are my thing and I'm just flogging a dead horse.

I have decided against helping my local indegnous language since it seems to be doing very well for itself. Even all the people I spoke with in Denmark knew it! (My local indigenous language is English in case you're wondering)
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

learningchayse
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby learningchayse » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:04 am

rdearman wrote:I have decided against helping my local indegnous language since it seems to be doing very well for itself.

Ummm..I don't quite understand the meaning of this sentence, especially the against part. Could you please explain a little bit? Thanks.
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:36 am

learningchayse wrote:Ummm..I don't quite understand the meaning of this sentence, especially the against part. Could you please explain a little bit? Thanks.

"To decide against" is a phrasal verb. English is full of them. If you see a verb + a preposition, it's likely a phrasal verb.

@rdearman is just saying that the indigenous language of England, where he lives, is English. And seeing as it's a global language, there's no need to foster a revitalization movement like with many languages of the type. Many are dying.
1 x

learningchayse
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby learningchayse » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:57 am

eido wrote:
learningchayse wrote:Ummm..I don't quite understand the meaning of this sentence, especially the against part. Could you please explain a little bit? Thanks.

"To decide against" is a phrasal verb. English is full of them. If you see a verb + a preposition, it's likely a phrasal verb.

@rdearman is just saying that the indigenous language of England, where he lives, is English. And seeing as it's a global language, there's no need to foster a revitalization movement like with many languages of the type. Many are dying.

Thanks. I understand now. He was saying he has decided not to help English thrive as it is doing by itself pretty well.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Well after only a few days of not watching shows in Italian, I find Italian completely incomprehensable. I don't know why I bother.
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:55 pm

rdearman wrote:Well after only a few days of not watching shows in Italian, I find Italian completely incomprehensable. I don't know why I bother.

I feel you! I lost 4 days this month in the 365 challenge and when I went back to where I was in Pimsleur it was like I'd never studied Italian!
Last edited by IronMike on Wed May 01, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language logs”