Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 pm

I can explain all of those in two words. It’s magic!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I can explain all of those in two words. It’s magic!

So how do you say "It's Magic" in Japanese (without looking it up!)
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:28 am

I can’t explain those things in my native language.

If you can, you are a very learned, articulate man, rdearman!
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:03 am

rdearman wrote:So how do you say "It's Magic" in Japanese (without looking it up!)

"Mahou desu"? "魔法です"? I have a feeling that's too literal, though. And no, I didn't look up the words, but I did look up the spelling.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:12 am

I would be interested in hearing more about how you conduct your language exchanges. How do you find/pick a good partner? How do you choose a topic beforehand? How do you prepare for it?

I think you must do more studying than you claim to do. I know basically how airplanes fly, but I’d still need to prepare myself before talking about it, both to look up all the vocabulary and to make sure I could explain it well. Even in English, I’d struggle to do it off the top of my head and have to go back and correct myself and add all the bits I forgot.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 am

Brun Ugle wrote:I would be interested in hearing more about how you conduct your language exchanges. How do you find/pick a good partner? How do you choose a topic beforehand? How do you prepare for it?

You should go to my talk at the gathering. :) (( Which reminds me I need to add some of the below to my slide deck!! ))

Brun Ugle wrote:How do you find/pick a good partner?

This bit is trial and error. You have to just talk to a few people and the ones who are punctual and return are keepers. Try these sites:
https://www.language-exchanges.org/
https://www.conversationexchange.com/

Brun Ugle wrote:How do you choose a topic beforehand?

Mostly when I'm starting out there are 5-6 topics already built in. We talk about ourselves. Our work, children, pets, etc. After that it becomes more difficult to think of new things to talk about. So I created a document of language exchange things to talk about which I share with people and we talk about various topics. When we get bored with that then it is time to move on to things like the above.

Brun Ugle wrote:How do you prepare for it?

Sometimes I prepare, sometimes I don't. So for the airplane thing last night it was off-the-cuff with no preparation. I know the subject, since I spent 10 years in the airforce working on flight controls so I didn't have to learn the subject. Where I went wrong was vocabulary. But this type of impromptu description really points out the holes in your vocabulary knowledge. A few of the words above I really should have known like climb, lift and wing. Because I didn't know the words, I have to try to describe what I mean with words I do know, so this was difficult for alieron and landing gear.

The subject for next time, which is to explain the recipe for a favorite dish I will prepare for and learn the words for the various ingredients. I suspect most of the corrections then will be pronunciation.

Another thing to remember here is that we aren't using this exercise to be perfect! We're using this exercise of impromptu descriptions to identify gaps in our knowledge. She had to explain grammatical differences between English and French that she had noticed. This lead to a long discussion of how to use progressive tenses, and where you use perfect tenses.

So with these impromptu topics the point is to pick something you know, but would be difficult to explain even in your native language.
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:38 am

rdearman wrote:I've seriously not done any work with languages for a long time now, and I really don't see myself doing any more work in the immediate future. I'm going to the gathering but not really holding out much hope of showing any improvement in any language that I've listed myself as studying. In fact, I'm positive that both vonPeterhof and Zenmonkey have surpassed me in Setswana. But hey, I'm the "typhoid Mary" of languages, I'm just a carrier and don't seem to get infected myself.

I seem to have caught another part of the disease, I have done zero Setswana for weeks. We can sit in the corner while Brun Ugle and vonPeterhof chat in the language.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 am

zenmonkey wrote:
rdearman wrote:I've seriously not done any work with languages for a long time now, and I really don't see myself doing any more work in the immediate future. I'm going to the gathering but not really holding out much hope of showing any improvement in any language that I've listed myself as studying. In fact, I'm positive that both vonPeterhof and Zenmonkey have surpassed me in Setswana. But hey, I'm the "typhoid Mary" of languages, I'm just a carrier and don't seem to get infected myself.

I seem to have caught another part of the disease, I have done zero Setswana for weeks. We can sit in the corner while Brun Ugle and vonPeterhof chat in the language.

I keep telling you I’ve given up on Setswana and you keep trying to drag me back in. How am I going to find time for French and Hebrew if I have to learn Setswana?
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:09 pm

rdearman wrote:So I created a document of language exchange things to talk about which I share with people and we talk about various topics. When we get bored with that then it is time to move on to things like the above.

I had to login for the 4th time in 2 minutes just to thank you for posting this - I plan to refer to it when I want to do some writing but I'm not sure what to write about.
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 pm

StringerBell wrote:
rdearman wrote:So I created a document of language exchange things to talk about which I share with people and we talk about various topics. When we get bored with that then it is time to move on to things like the above.

I had to login for the 4th time in 2 minutes just to thank you for posting this - I plan to refer to it when I want to do some writing but I'm not sure what to write about.

If you want to write, you might be interested in another document I have in which I collected a bucket load of essay questions.

It doesn't display well, because there are special characters in there that don't play well with web-browsers, but you should be able to download it and load it into word, or libreoffice, or google docs.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”