Perchta’s language log 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Perchta
White Belt
Languages: Czech (N), French (C1), English (B2), German (B1), Dutch (B1), Hungarian (A1), Hebrew (just began learning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13798

Perchta’s language log 2019

Postby Perchta » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi!

I decided to open this log to see how I improve in my language learning to stay motivated :) I’m thinking about writing here once a month what I was doing.

French
I started to learn French 11 years ago. 5 years ago, I passed DELF B2. Then, I stopped to learn it and my French began to deteriorate a lot. Nevertheless, I got a scholarship for studying in Belgium (one academic year). I was using French every day and my French was better and better. A month ago, I passed DALF C1. Currently attending a French conversation course.

What to do in 2019:
- listen to Belgian news every day (to keep in touch with the country)
- France Culture podcasts (provide interesting topics in deep)
- from time to time watch a film or a TV series in French
- read some books
- advance in Alter Ego 5 textbook
- at least something in Grammaire progressive du français - perfectionnement

English
Originally, my first foreign language (since 18 years). Unfortunately, I had a bad teacher at high school. Her English was good, her teaching methods weren’t bad, but her attitude was absolutely demotivating. I did nothing for my English for several years, but then, I met a good teacher at university and I began to work on my English again. And there’s a lot of interesting content in English what is another motivation :) But my biggest motivation is to pass CAE next year.

What to do in 2019:
- look through FCE Gold Plus and B2 destination textbooks, check if I know the grammar, learn some new vocabulary
- do some exercises on British Council’s web site
- BBC podcasts (longer ones)
- from time to time watch a film or a TV series in English
- read some books
- maybe an English course?

German
Learning for a long time, but not very seriously. I like traveling to Germany and Austria or watching German TV channels, just for fun. Now I try to systemize my learning, at least a bit. I use Duolingo and Memrise (they’re good to force me to work in the morning or when I have a minute or two) and Sicher! B1+ textbook.

What to do in 2019:
- finish Sicher! B1+
- finish the German 5 course on Memrise
- regularly do exercises on MeinGoethe.de
- ARD podcasts (mainly easier ones, but also some more difficult ones)
- read some articles in German, borrow Der Spiegel in the library
- read a bilingual German-Czech book

Dutch
I began to learn Dutch when living in Belgium. I was living in the French speaking part, but I visited also the other one and I wanted to speak Dutch there. I got used to Flemish accent, I’m able to understand a lot (if I know the vocabulary), but I have a big problem with the accent of the Netherlands. I use Duolingo and Memrise and my Dutch textbook (a Czech textbook, not bad, but nothing special).

What to do in 2019:
- finish the Dutch 3 course on Memrise
- finish Unit 15 in my Dutch textbook (currently in Unit 10)
- regularly do exercises on NedBox.be
- VRT podcasts (easier and more difficult ones) and NPO podcasts (easier ones)
- read Royals op zondag on VRT (weekly news from royal families’ lives)
- look at some everyday content like websites of supermarkets and other shops to know some basic vocabulary

Hungarian
I’ve just begun to learn this language. It’s my great-grandmother’s mother tongue, so I would like to learn a bit about her culture. And I would like to visit Budapest once. And it’s an interesting language. I use Duolingo and I’ll begin with my old teach-yourself-Hungarian textbook (I have also a new one, but it seems to me it’s more difficult with tons of vocabulary, so I’ll use it when a little bit more advanced).

What to do in 2019
- finish Unit 10 in my textbook
- look at some everyday content like websites of supermarkets and other shops to know some basic vocabulary
-
4 x

Perchta
White Belt
Languages: Czech (N), French (C1), English (B2), German (B1), Dutch (B1), Hungarian (A1), Hebrew (just began learning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13798

Re: Perchta’s language log 2019

Postby Perchta » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:48 pm

March and the first half of April

I thought I would write here some two weeks ago... But I finish my university studies and have almost no time :( Almost no time for learning languages, for reading as a hobby...

So what did I do...

French
I downloaded a lot of France Culture podcasts and I listen to them when going home. Every week I take conversation lessons. Mostly I manage listen to Belgian radio news. I wrote some texts, one or two. Unfortunately, it’s all I have time for. :( I renewed my reader card for the French library, I borrowed two magazines, but until now, I haven’t had time to read them.
next month: do something from my textbook

English
Doing regularly exercises from FCE Gold. Currently in Unit 2. Again, everything I do. I listened to one podcast (a discussion about a book)
next month: listen more to podcasts, do some online exercises (British Council)

German
Did a big progress in my Memrise and Duolingo apps. In Memrise, I’m currently in the level 14 of the 5th course. Yesterday, I listened to a review of a book. I understood generally what the book was about (a family saga), but I really didn’t understand the main ideas of the review.
next month: do some online exercises (MyGoethe), do something from my textbook

Dutch
Sometimes I manage to listen to Belgian radio news in Dutch - I understand, mainly the worldwide news or the news I know some context of. I succeed in the Memrise and Duolingo apps (level 26 of the 3rd Memrise course).
next month: do some online exercises (NedBox)

Hungarian
Only Duolingo. No time :(
next month: do something from my textbook
3 x

Return to “Language logs”