Zelda's 2019 French Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Re: Zelda's 2019 French Log

Postby zjones » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Wow, lots of interesting things to think about. Thanks for the replies.

I have a resume that is split into two columns, a fat one on the left for previous jobs (3 employers, so nothing too crazy), and then on the right there is a narrow column that lists the extras: Skills, Education and Language. I'm under 30 and have not attended college so my resume is not in danger of being too long.

I can understand that languages might not be relevant for some jobs, but in administration and receptionist positions I don't think it can hurt anything. These jobs are big on communication and language is an extension of that. However I can totally understand how xenophobic employers might not like to see additional languages on resumes -- my guess is that this would be more of a problem in specific areas in the US. In addition, I needed something to refer to when explaining the gap in my work history (this is the only time I got really vague in my interviews - I felt nervous about it and I should have taken the time to practice my answer to this question).

By the way, I'm 99% sure I got the job I wanted! I have an informal offer (the owner just called and said they want me). It's totally laid back, the employer/employees are super genuine and they aren't skimping on the pay. In the interview we didn't even discuss skills, they are looking for a good personality match for their small office. Apparently my love of animals and specifically dogs was one of the main reasons they liked me. :lol:
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Well, of course the languages are more important in the non anglophone countries. And even more in countries with internationally worthless official language, like mine. English is being overly demanded (even for jobs, where you don't really need it), and two languages are becoming more demanded in some fields (but slowly, as people fail to learn them very often to high level, and the young people knowing them also consider working abroad and in general are a minority on the market).

The languages are supposed to be a part of most CVs here. Perhaps not the jobs for which you don't need much of a CV at all (a basic factory worker, a construction worker, that sort of stuff). Knowing a foreing language or two is always viewed as a sign of an educated person, and associated with some good personal traits.

It sounds awesome, that someone's got such a rich CV that the languages would take away too much space :-D

in administration and receptionist positions I don't think it can hurt anything. These jobs are big on communication and language is an extension of that

Definitely! These are exactly the kinds of jobs, where an extra language (or several) should logically be an asset.

By the way, I'm 99% sure I got the job I wanted! I have an informal offer (the owner just called and said they want me). It's totally laid back, the employer/employees are super genuine and they aren't skimping on the pay. In the interview we didn't even discuss skills, they are looking for a good personality match for their small office. Apparently my love of animals and specifically dogs was one of the main reasons they liked me. :lol:

Congratulations!!!
And love of animals is an excellent quality, no wonder it helped in this context :-)
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:20 am

Congratulations!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

zjones
Green Belt

Postby zjones » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:55 am

So yes, I did get the job! Tomorrow is my only day to train with the person who is retiring. :shock:

I need to buy a vehicle ASAP, but there is potential house stuff happening so we'll have to put down cash for the car. All of our pets are due for their vet appointments this month. Everything's happening at once and I feel like the days are flying by. Those with kids - how on earth do you do it?!!

I'm wondering how French will fit into all this. I don't want to stop learning, but I feel like it would be easy to do that if I'm not careful. Thanks to this forum I know I can work full-time, manage the household and learn a language on the side, but it's hard to imagine how that will look for me. Even 30 minutes per day of active/intensive French sounds like an accomplishment at this point. I have an hour-long lunch break, but the whole office shuts down during that time so I feel like we will all be taking lunch together.

At the very least I want to keep getting French input. I read before bed and I can watch French shows on the weekend. My 15-minute commute will be just enough time to listen to Journal en Français Facile if I want. Depending on how well I manage home cooking, I will have a few hours in the evening too.

I'm not going to make any decisions yet. After this first week I'll get a good idea of my schedule.
5 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:30 am

Just embrace the time you have. These days I’m managing 30 min bookwork, 45 minutes TV, 15 minutes reading a day. And I work full time and have two kids. Of course, my housekeeping is, uh, less than ideal. Compromises will be made. It’s okay!
3 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

hedgehog.chess
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~B2ish), German (~B2ish)
Language Log: https://tinyurl.com/yaofno9u

Postby hedgehog.chess » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:15 am

zjones wrote:... Those with kids - how on earth do you do it?!!...Even 30 minutes per day of active/intensive French sounds like an accomplishment at this point.

Well the most sure and the least appealing option would be to get up a half an hour earlier then you should. Not entirely pleasant but that’s the way I’ve been doing it for two years now when I have the morning shift. Working in three shifts BTW :) You’ll be fine but you will most probably have to cut corners and prioritize. Too high expectations are your enemy.
2 x

MrsStarez
Yellow Belt
Languages: I can read and write French, but my spoken capabilities are limited. I'm looking to develop further, especially in a business sense, as I'm getting increasingly asked if I would be able to use French at work.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8933

Postby MrsStarez » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Too high expectations are your enemy.

Agreed... Unfortunately I find that with a 5yo son, another son on his way, and a nearly full-time job, as well as a household to run (apart from selected bits, which I leave to my husband), multi-tasking is the way forward. You just have to accept that you can do lots of things, but probably less well, e.g. listening to a foreign language podcast whilst travelling, half-watching a TV programme whilst cooking or getting ready for work, etc. Just accept that you'll have to lower your expectations in terms of what you can achieve. Sorry, this is probably not what you were hoping to hear!
5 x

zjones
Green Belt

Postby zjones » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Weekly? Update April 23, 2019

The busyness finally died down. We just backed out of a house contract, which was stressful but definitely for the best. I got a used Honda Pilot and I LOVE IT. I've always associated cars with freedom and mobility, and our 1-car household was not ideal for me. My husband on the other hand, sees cars as a necessary evil haha. I need to check the car for an aux port to see about playing French podcasts through the speakers. However, I know there is a 6 CD changer :lol: So at least I can use my Assimil CD.

I've been getting little bits of exposure to French throughout my workday, but nothing intensive. I can play music quietly at work, so I've been opting for French playlists, although I'm still not great at understanding lyrics. Yesterday I tried to listen to a French podcast, but my keyboard was too loud for me to be able to hear over the keys clacking. :roll: Sometimes I read numbers aloud in French when entering amounts.

No reading, no intensive French. A little Journal en français facile when I'm doing my makeup in the morning, that's about it.

I started strength-training again too. I stopped exercising for 2-3 weeks, and my back started hurting more and more and I kept pulling little muscles in my shoulder. As soon as I started working out again, the pain went away.
3 x

zjones
Green Belt

Postby zjones » Fri May 10, 2019 9:37 pm

I’ve settled in at my job and found ways to work French into my day.

I am listening to RFI on the way to work (10m) and then once again when I am at the office (10m) because I arrive 15m early.

I talk to myself in French in the car, and I take advantage of the opportunity to cuss out other drivers in French (not when they can see me though - this is just for practice haha).

When things are very slow at work, I can read on my Kindle, but I admit that I’m reading in English because I bought The Black Count, a biography of Alexandre Dumas Grand-père.

I’m looking closely at French textbooks, because money is not really a concern. Now I’m just short on time!
7 x

zjones
Green Belt

Postby zjones » Wed May 15, 2019 1:30 am

Something I've noticed since my life doesn't currently revolve around French: using the language is so enjoyable now, and I'm much more forgiving with myself when I make mistakes. I particularly love any chance to speak or write in French, as listening and reading is simply a method to get information. Going easy on myself means that I may not make progress as quickly, but the journey is much more enjoyable. :D

It also feels like my brain has extra space to absorb grammar and vocabulary because I'm not constantly exposing myself to French throughout the day.

That being said, I wish I had joined the 30m/day challenge at the beginning of the year! Being sporadic with my language exposure and study is a new experience, but I'd be more comfortable with a small daily minimum to reach.
7 x

Return to “Language logs”