I read old books - Pfifltrigg Pi

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Re: Languages Without Borders - Pfifltrigg Pi

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:37 am

Aujourd'hui, je n'ai fait presque rien. Je n'ai point de motivation, en fait. Il me faudra relativement beaucoup faire demain, mais ça c'est pas grave. J'ai fait une leçon de Duolingo ukrainien et j'ai continué à mémoriser Chaucer. Aussi, j'ai parler en peu en français avec mon grand-père. Astheure, j'écoute au hockey en français : c'est bon, je crois pour améliorer ma connaissance du accent québécois et donc ma prononciation.
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:22 pm

Salut! Il semble que j'ai perdu un grand pourcentage de ma motivation pendant les vacances. Ça dit, aujourd'hui fut relativement bon. Dans mon cours du français, on parla d'Une pièce montée, qu'on recommença à lire. Il nous restent deux chapitres et demi.

Pas beaucoup se passa dans mon cours du latin, mais le devoir est de lire une section de Cicéro en VO, et je suis très heureux de le faire enfin.

Je continue à faire le cours Duolingo de l'ukrainien : il ne me plaît pas, mais c'est gratis. Je crois que je vais commencer le cours des Peace Corps, mais je ne sais pas quand.

Je continue à mémoriser Chausser, et j'étais heureux de lire une mention du français anglo-normand, dans la section où il parle de la nonne.

Astheure, j'écris ce-ci écoutant de la musique en anglais, et je me sente heureux de pouvoir utiliser deux langues au même temps.
0 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:59 pm

Français:

Il y avait mon cours de la littérature française aujourd'hui. En fait, il était une des meilleures séances qu'on a eu ce semestre. On a discute L'art poétique de Nicolas Boileau, dont on a lu des extraits. Ce-ci fut mon premier rencontre avec l’œuvre, et je l'adore. En fait, je crois que je vais l'acheter, pour que je puisse le lire après que je termine L'été, d'Albert Camus qui je lis astheure.

Other Stuff:
I suppose I'll write this in English, since that seems to be a requirement for other people to really notice and respond, and I'm kind of interested in what other people have to say/think about what I am about to say.

To not go into too much detail, I am currently inscribed for a minor (that is a secondary specialization, which doesn't really mean much in terms of résumé building etc, but is more a way to allow students to spend more time studying their interests instead of random stuff to make up the necessary credits, for those of you who aren't from North America.) in Russian at my university. As a requirement for that, I have to take a Russian litterature class in English, in which I am currently. A number of other students in that class actually speak Russian, (this is my first term here and they didn't offer Russian one in the second term of the year, so I have not yet taken any.) and last week, I was speaking with one of them and he asked me, in Russian, if I spoke Russian. I replied, in Ukrainian, which is close enough that I could mostly understand what he said and he could mostly understand my response, that no, but I speak a little Ukrainian, and, in essence, was told "screw off, hohol". I exaggerate slightly, but not much.

This was the second time something like this has happened in the past few weeks, after another student straight up told me I was not welcome in the program. I spoke to the professor of my litterature class who is also head of the Russian department about the incidents, and she was quite appologetic, assured me that, if she or the other professor in the department caught someone being so rude to me, there would be consequences, that I was not the first Ukrainian/Ukrainian speaker/learner of Ukrainian which had gone through the program and that I was very much welcome, although my situation would present both unique advantages and challenges.

However, given that this has already happened twice in a class conducted in English, I am somewhat trepidous (?) of it happening again, when I commence the actual language classes. As a result, I am probably going to take a minor in a different language. I spent some time this afternoon speaking with some faculty from the Italian program, and they informed me that, if I chose Italian, I can study independently over the summer and come into intermediate in autumn, since I already have some degree of compliance in about half the Romance family and, as a result, I would be board out of my mind in introductory Italian.

Tomorrow, I am speaking with the Arabic professor. As far as I have been able to figure out, there is no actual degree, available in Arabic, which is something of a turn off. According to what one has told me, the program was a labour of love of one sole professeur, whom the université got rid to get someone with a doctorat, who seems to be the man with whom I speak tomorrow. In plus, this professeur is from Egypt, and the version of Arabic which I wish to learn is Moroccan.

I got the informational booklet for the program of German, but I gave it to my roommate, because he is also interested in possibly taking German. Nevertheless, there en are a grand quantity in the building where I take my courses, so I can get a replacement tomorrow, for to make an appointment to speak with someone from that department. En addition, I want to speak with a Spanish professeur, for to see about what the Spanish program studies, that is to say, which dialects, litteratures, histories etc, as I am really only interested in Old-World Spanish. I didn't really think of that until juste now, so I didn't get none information about it. Nevertheless, I can tomorrow.

En addition, my university offers Mandarin, Japonais, and Portugais, but I am not as interested in those.

Appologies for the terrible state of my English, towards the end of this essai. I do not speak or write it well when I become upset, and I am rather upset now, as one would attend.

TL:DR
Some students in my Russian litterature class basically called me a hohol and told me I was not welcome there, so I am probably going to pick a different language to take this fall.
2 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Good gracious, the above was an utter train wreck. I'm tempted to edit it to try to make it less horrible, but I don't really even know where to start.
0 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 am

J'ai parlé avec les professeurs de l'allemand et de l'espagnol aujourd'hui. Le programme de l'allemand ne m’intéresse beaucoup, et il semble que le programme de l'espagnol n'enseigne pas beaucoup de la littérature, donc je crois que je vais prendre l'italien, mais je suis encore en train de décider.

Aussi, j'ai, enfin, mémorisé la prochaine section des Contes de Caunterbery, ce qui parle de la None.
0 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Well, alea jactata est, I shall be taking Italian this fall! I shall order the Assimil course shortly, I am only waiting for an opportunity to speak with my friend from my French class, as I also want to get her (and myself) a copy of one of Molière's plays, and I would rather get one which she has not already read, but trying to determine such information without spoiling the surprise has been a bit difficult. If possible, I'll get Le malade imaginaire, since we have spoken much about it in class. I'm actually really excited about Italian, I can't wait to read Dante en VO and fully experience the Italian Renaissance in its original form and tongue.
2 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:57 pm

J'ai acheté le cours Assimil pour l'italien sans entendre de mon amie, parce que j'ai remarqué que les deux livres viennent de deux différents vendeurs, donc si je les achète ensemble ou pas ne fait point de différence. Il va venir dans (en?) une semaine ou deux. Je suis très heureux, ça sera l'fun.

En addition, j'ai terminé Une pièce montée, de Blandine le Callet. Sacrement, c'était absolument fantastique, je suis toujours étonné par les pouvoirs de description de l'autrice. On le lisait dans un de mes cours du français, et, bien qu'on n'était supposé que de lire la première moitié de la chapitre finale, j'en ai terminé tout entière. En fait, je me sent en peu triste parce que je l'ai terminé, mais ça ne veut dire que le livre était bon. Je vais en écrire davantage dans le sujet des livres en français.
0 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:43 am

J'ai terminé la première unité de mon livre d'ukrainien aujourd'hui. Je n'ai pas beaucoup appris, parce qu'il était très simple, mais, néanmoins, la répétition est toujours bon. (Et Dieu sait que j'en ai besoin.) Je sais qu'il me faut le prendre plus sérieusement, mais je n'ai pas beaucoup du temps, avec une grande quantité des papiers que je ne veux pas écrire. Je crois que je vais reprendre la méthode scriptorium, pour mieux apprendre et pour améliorer ma capacité d'écrire à main au même temps.

En addition, il y avait ma cours du français aujourd'hui. On a pris un examen, et je crois que c'était bien, mais je suis pas certain. Aussi, on a continué à parler d'une Pièce montée. Il me faudra donner une présentation dans le cours relativement tôt, et je vais parler de l'ancien français. Voyons voir à combien des étudiants ça va vraiment intéresser.

Dans l'après-midi, il y avait mon cours du latin. On a pris un autre examen là-bas aussi. Ce-là n'était pas si bien, mais je crois qu'il a été assez.
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 pm

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with those other Russian students. I hope Italian treats you better!
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:06 pm

StringerBell wrote:I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with those other Russian students. I hope Italian treats you better!

I hope so. I'm sure I'll have a pretty thick French accent, but yes. I'm looking forward to it very much. I can't wait to read Petrarch, Dante etc en VO. The professors said that I can study over the summer and start in intermediate, which is nice. I'll probably get to go to Italy at some point as well.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”