Classical Languages - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: Classical Languages - Study Group

Postby Carmody » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:44 pm

aravinda
Pali: Yes, almost exclusively Buddhist scriptures or literature
Sanskrit: No, not at all. There's a wide variety of Sanskrit works covering a range of subjects.

Sounds like I need to do more research on the Sanskrit resources to find what you are referring to.
Thank you.
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:04 am

So I did more research re texts in Sanskrit and this is what I come up with. It appears to be a choice of which religion one needs to learn to speak the language. Or so it seems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanskrit_literature
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:04 am

Carmody wrote:So I did more research re texts in Sanskrit and this is what I come up with. It appears to be a choice of which religion one needs to learn to speak the language. Or so it seems:

Have you done a search for "secular Sanskrit literature" yet? I'm finding a number of titles and authors using that (without the quotes).
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:36 am

Carmody wrote:So I did more research re texts in Sanskrit and this is what I come up with. It appears to be a choice of which religion one needs to learn to speak the language. Or so it seems:

You can get some idea of what is available in Sanskrit from the contents page of this book.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/41563/4 ... 1563-h.htm

It's said that Sanskrit literature is more extensive than the Ancient Greek and Latin literature combined.

Just to be clear I wasn't discouraging learning Pāli despite its literature being smaller and largely Buddhist.
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:37 pm

I have looked further into this topic and on the website: http://www.ron-turner.com/sanskritliterature.html

I did find this of interest:
Sanskrit Literature, classical literature of India written in the Sanskrit language. It may be divided into the Vedic period (circa 1500 BC-200 BC), when the Vedic form of Sanskrit was in use, and the Sanskrit period (200 BC-c. AD 1100), when classical Sanskrit had developed from Vedic. Notwithstanding the chronological continuity of Indian writings, the spirit of Sanskrit-period literature differs greatly from that of the Vedic period. The chief distinction between the two is that Vedic literature, consisting of the Vedas (Veda), Brahmanas, and Upanishads, is essentially religious, whereas classical Sanskrit literature is, with rare exceptions, secular. In the Vedas the lyric and legendary forms are in the service of prayer, or exposition of the ritual; in Sanskrit epics such as the Mahabharata and the Ramayana, didactic, lyric, and dramatic forms have been developed far beyond their earlier state for more purely literary, aesthetic, or moral purposes. In Sanskrit literature, moreover, with the exception of the Mahabharata and the Puranas, the authors are generally definite persons, more or less well known, whereas the writings of the Vedic period go back either to families of poets or to religious schools.

The form and style of classical Sanskrit literature is, as a rule, different from that of the Vedas. Vedic prose was developed in the Yajur-Veda, Brahmanas, and Upanishads to a tolerably high pitch; in classical Sanskrit, aside from the strained scientific language of philosophical and grammatical treatises, prose writing is to be found only in fables, fairy tales, romances, and partly in the drama. Nor has this prose improved in stylistic quality, as compared with its earlier counterpart. On the contrary, it has become progressively more awkward, full of long, difficult compounds and rhetorical constructions. Sanskrit poetry also differs from Vedic poetry. The bulk of the poetry, especially the epic, is composed in the sloka meter, a development of the Vedic anushtubh stanza of four octosyllabic lines of essentially iambic cadence. Numerous other meters, however, usually built up on Vedic prototypes, have become more elaborate than their old originals, and in the main, more artistic and beautiful.

Please note that the italics are mine.

Also a note to moderators, I apologize if the quote is lengthy. If you choose to delete it, then please leave the URL that I have referenced. Thanks.
0 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Just a reminder to everyone that we do have a(n almost totally vacant) Discord server, in which I would be very interested in starting a Latin conversation/reading group.
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Sahmilat
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Sahmilat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:02 pm

PfifltriggPi wrote:Just a reminder to everyone that we do have a(n almost totally vacant) Discord server, in which I would be very interested in starting a Latin conversation/reading group.

Do you mean the one at discord.gg/Latin ? That one is pretty active.
0 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Sahmilat wrote:
PfifltriggPi wrote:Just a reminder to everyone that we do have a(n almost totally vacant) Discord server, in which I would be very interested in starting a Latin conversation/reading group.

Do you mean the one at discord.gg/Latin ? That one is pretty active.

No, although I'll have to check that out. I mean the LL.org server.
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Damn you people and my wanderlust...pulled out one of my Old English books yday.

No, no, not gonna do it...till Sept 2019 when the latest edition of TY's OE book comes out. ;)
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

David1917
Blue Belt
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:29 pm

IronMike wrote:Damn you people and my wanderlust...pulled out one of my Old English books yday.

No, no, not gonna do it...till Sept 2019 when the latest edition of TY's OE book comes out. ;)

Do you know anything more about that future edition? Author, lesson plan, etc.?
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”