General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby rdearman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 am

DollyG wrote:Hi,

I'm an old member of How to learn any language forum but hadn't signed in there for several years. I logged in today and was so disappointed to see lack of activity. Thankfully, I saw the thread about the forum's new location. So very glad to be here, and hoping this time around there will be no long hiatus in my language studies and participation here.

This group is just amazing, and I'm so glad so many of the old familiar names are around.

Welcome back.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:39 am

Hello Everyone.

I'm Paulo Cesar, from Colombia. I used to read and write in HTLAL forum 12 years ago (Here's my profile). At that time, I was struggling with my english and french. Since then, I have been certified C1 in English, French, Italian and Portuguese

Currently, I am a language teacher, I've started a youtube channel about languages and polyglottery (in spanish). Looking for some information, I realized that the ancient HTLAL forum was inactive but there's this new one and I would like to reactivate my writing habits.

I hope I can keep learning with this amazing community.
8 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

Austin K.
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), Greek (beginner) Spanish (beginner)

Re: Zelda's 2019 French Log

Postby Austin K. » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:49 pm

Hey,i am happy to be here, i am still a beginner in Greek, thank you, for the resources
1 x

Cenwalh
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1), Catalan (B2).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12467

Postby Cenwalh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 am

Hello,

I've been a lurker for a number of months and have decided to join in with a forum and its discussion. I'm currently learning Spanish, although I learnt French and German at school, so who knows why?
1 x
Double SC films: 200 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)
Double SC books: 34 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)

Aiya.Lianxi
White Belt
Languages: Strong: Japanese
Intermediate: Korean, Mandarin Chinese
Beginning: Chinook Jargon, Thai, Vietnamese, German, Levantine Arabic, Turkish, Sgaw Karen, Somali, Sahaptin

Postby Aiya.Lianxi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Hello,

Previous lurker back to regain her enthusiasm for languages. Starting a thread, have a penchant for spreadsheets and tracking, and looking for a community to keep me motivated for languages, since Instagram just isn't doing it for me.

I work with refugees and others at a state office in my city, so I'm interested in many diaspora languages. I studied Japanese, Mandarin Chinese and Korean (comparative linguistics yay) in college, but without use, they're calcifying and decaying.

Trying to find a way to ease myself back into actually using my languages, instead of buying textbooks and assuming by buying an audio course or pdf, I'll magically find the motivation to study 6 hours a day again.

I look forward to chatting with you all, and engaging in challenges together!
2 x
: 0 / 25 Pgs/comics read : 12 / 100 Sentences written
: 0 / 25 Scenes watched : 3 / 100 Podcasts finished

Ariel
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (C2), Spanish (B2), Japanese (B2), German (B2), French (B1), Chinese (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10347

Postby Ariel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi, I'm Ariel. I'm 25 and I live in Bath, United Kingdom. I studied several languages at school, and then I got into linguistics through an interest in conlanging.

I studied linguistics at university, but I had a bit of a rough time there and fell off the language learning wagon. After graduating I decided to get back into it, and I'm now focusing heavily on Spanish. I've also since qualified to be a language teacher, and although I teach mainly English as a foreign language (and some Esperanto) at the moment, I'd like to start teaching Spanish soon. as a teacher and a learner, I skew heavily towards comprehensible input and storytelling.

I've been stalking this form for a while, so I've decided it was finally time to join, as I need somewhere to give me a bit of accountability with my language learning.
3 x

rohey
Languages: english, russian, japanese

Postby rohey » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:01 pm

hello there. i am newbie
0 x

Rosewyne
Languages: EN (N) | IT | JP

Postby Rosewyne » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:09 am

Hello, I'm Rosewyne, a university student planning on taking German in the upcoming fall semester. Between then and now, I'm going to try to get ahead using Duolingo and other sources. I'm interested in the language because its part of my heritage (although none of my living relatives speak it) and because I've always liked learning about ancient germanic history, such as the sagas of the Vikings. I've previously studied Spanish in high school (one of few languages available; it was between that, French, or Mandarin), so I have a bit of experience language learning. Things like grammatical gender and verb conjugation have come to me pretty easy due to that experience.

Other than German, I have a wishlist of languages I'd love to learn. Learning German has allowed me to meet some truly nerdy language learners and hobbyist linguists. Every time I log in onto one of my chatgroups, I learn about a new ancient or endangered language and thus my wishlist grows.
3 x

Jarndyce
Languages: English (N), German (A2), Spanish / French (vague high school memories)

Postby Jarndyce » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi, I'm a 31-year-old American woman who recently started taking German night classes for fun. I'm also very very slowly translating my way through Im Westen nichts Neues with the help of a dictionary, because I am not patient enough to wait until my German is better. On that note, if anyone understands what "Speckjäger" (bacon hunter???) means, I'd love to hear from you! My goal is to hit C2 by age 40, which should hopefully lessen the pain of that birthday. :)
7 x

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 am

Jarndyce wrote:Hi, I'm a 31-year-old American woman who recently started taking German night classes for fun. I'm also very very slowly translating my way through Im Westen nichts Neues with the help of a dictionary, because I am not patient enough to wait until my German is better. On that note, if anyone understands what "Speckjäger" (bacon hunter???) means, I'd love to hear from you! My goal is to hit C2 by age 40, which should hopefully lessen the pain of that birthday. :)

Welcome to the forum. I remember Im Westen nichts Neues from school. It's certainly a challenging read, regarding the subject matter as well as the language. Speckjäger is an archaic word for a vagrant. I think it's a colloquial term, so maybe hobo or tramp would be a good translation. If you have any more question, I'd be glad to help and there also several other German native speakers on this forum. Good luck with your German. :)
2 x
Corrections are welcome!

Return to “General Language Discussion”