cathrynm: suomi/日本語

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Re: cathrynm: suomi/日本語

Postby cathrynm » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:35 am

Speaking of weird Clozemaster sentences. Saw this go by. 'Hänellä on mahtavankokoinen kulli.' Not sure how natural this is, but I guess I won't need to say this anyway.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 am

Been watching this 'Finnished channel.'
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:40 am

Hmm, did something change with Netflix? I'm seeing Dragon Prince with Finnish audio. Always odd, how in Finnish the subtitles completely don't match the audio at all. I think that's 'normal strange' so whatever.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 am

"Monelta viimeinen juna menee" as "When does the last train leave." This is another clozemaster. Odd it's not lähteä. and Monelta? Hmm
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:28 am

"Monelta(ko)" is used quite often as "when". In contrast to "milloin", "monelta" refers always to the time of the day, so it means more "at what time" than just "when". That also means the answer to such a question cannot be: "on Monday".

There is also the way to express the time with -lta: Kolmelta menen kotiin. ("I go home at three.")
2 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks, seemed a little idiomatic just dictionary translating each word but not too far off. Just posting this, oddly, helps me remember somehow too.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Tue May 28, 2019 1:18 am

And only tangentially related to language learning, but I'm in Finland right now, just a week. Mostly because I haven't been here for decades, and put it off. Have just been staying at a hotel in downtown Finland, sleeping, lying around, looking at tourist stuff. Don't have any plans at all, just going to let myself do whatever pops in my mind. Mostly everyone here speaks English, far as I can tell, people have tried to talk to me in Finnish a few times, don't know why, but mostly I was just baffled. The hotel has free breakfast, which is most of what I need for calories in a day, but much of my day is centered around feeding my voracious caffeine addiction. Plenty of options for that here, though I swear, everything seems to be full of sugar here.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Tue May 28, 2019 2:20 am

And so I was here for the EU election, which is interesting, I'm not sure if I have opinions on Finnish political candidates really. Was expecting late night coverage like in the USA, but near as I could tell, TV just had a show, listed the winners and kind of moved on to other stories. Hmm. Thrusday is some kind of holiday, we'll see. I think everything might be closed, as I overheard someone at bookstore mentioning this.

And me, I'm distracted lately, having one of my spells of going nuts for exercising and buying clothes, dieting, all that. I'm getting to that age where there's less point to it anymore, but somehow that doesn't stop me from going through all the effort. Which is all fine and good for my cardiovascular health, but it does mean I have basically no time, except for this week here in Finland which I'm using as an opportunity to 'do nothing' as much as possible.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Tue May 28, 2019 4:42 pm

And near as I can tell, Finnish bookstores will not deliver to the USA, and I'm just not up for lugging books back to the USA. I went with only a carry on, so maybe I could buy a suitcase and..., no, I don't care this much. So, the quest for a source for Finnish books continues. Did pick up a copy of Suomen mestari, which was featured prominently in the language learning section. Just paging through it, I feel like I know all the words in this thing, but the exercises I'm not sure, so I think it'd be good for me.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue May 28, 2019 5:34 pm

cathrynm wrote:And near as I can tell, Finnish bookstores will not deliver to the USA, and I'm just not up for lugging books back to the USA. I went with only a carry on, so maybe I could buy a suitcase and..., no, I don't care this much.

They still have post offices in the world and most countries have a cheaper rate for mailing books overseas called "media mail" in English. That's what I do when I'm outside the country and don't want to lug a bunch of books back home with me. It's very affordable.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”