How many countries/cities have you travelled?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
zeejiang
Languages: Chinese (N), English (B2), Polish (beginner)

Re: How many countries/cities have you travelled?

Postby zeejiang » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:12 pm

My native country: China
I have traveled so far:
USA
Canada
UK
Germany
Poland
0 x

fcoulter
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby fcoulter » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:04 pm

I'm going to skip my childhood. We lived in France, but went all throughout Europe as my father performed. But I was really small and don't remember much of anything.

I live in the United States, and have been to over half the states.

I've often traveled through Canada as I drove between New York and Michigan. I've also been to Montreal visiting a second cousin.

While getting my Masters in Public Administrative, I spent a week in Seoul, South Korea.

I spent a day in Tijuana, Mexico. I wasn't impressed. I'd like to go back to Mexico, but away from the United States border.

Last year my wife and I took a Rhine River cruise, visiting The Netherlands, Germany, France, and Switzerland.

This year we cruised from Rome to Barcelona, visiting Italy, Monaco, France (again), and Spain.
0 x

MrsStarez
Yellow Belt
Languages: I can read and write French, but my spoken capabilities are limited. I'm looking to develop further, especially in a business sense, as I'm getting increasingly asked if I would be able to use French at work.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8933

Postby MrsStarez » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Incredibly, I didn't set foot off the British Isles until I was 13 and we had a school trip to France. Since then, I've made up for it:

Germany
Ireland
Switzerland
Belgium
Luxembourg
Denmark (lots of day trips with work to Copenhagen)
Hungary
Netherlands
Greece
Croatia
Poland (a day trip with work, but that still counts, right?!)
Bulgaria (again, another work trip, just one night)
Spain
Portugal
Cuba
Ecuador
Brazil
Argentina (just three nights!)
Bolivia
Chile
Canada
USA
India

This is making me wistful for pre-child days where we could go off on long-haul flights to places which weren't necessarily child-friendly!

I've probably spent more time in Latin American countries than Spain, so my understanding of Spanish is better in those countries than it has been in Madrid or Barcelona. Having spent five weeks in South America, it came as a bit of a shock going to Brazil for a week and realising I understood very little in comparison!

My list of places to go in future includes:

China
Thailand
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Iceland
Norway
Sweden... in fact, all of Scandinavia!
More of South America, including spending more time in the countries I’ve already been to (Ecuador excepted!)

My husband has created a spreadsheet weighing up ease of visiting with a small person in tow vs costs of travel, etc. It looks like we'll be staying in Europe for some time to come!
1 x

avalon
White Belt
Languages: English (native)
Latin (advanced)
Modern Greek (A1)

Dormant:
Czech (certified ILR 3)
German (certified ILR 3)
French (certified ILR 2+)

Postby avalon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:56 am

Native country: United States (I've been to 36 of our 50 states.)

Countries:

Canada
Mexico
Costa Rica
Germany
Switzerland
Liechtenstein
Austria
Italy
Vatican City (does this count?)
France
The Netherlands
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
England
Czech Republic
Hungary
Romania
Croatia
Bosnia
Montenegro
South Africa
0 x

mrap
Languages: Latvian (N), Russian (N), English (C2), Norwegian, German, French (all A2)

Postby mrap » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:10 am

I'm originally from Latvia, but I have been to the following countries:
- Estonia, Lithuania, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Germany, Austria, Croatia, France
1 x

gadano
Languages: English;
Polish

Postby gadano » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:20 am

7 countries: Poland, UK, USA, Spain, France, Germany, Egypt :)
0 x
Gadano- Polish lessons for foreigners

rogers
Languages: English, Spanish

Postby rogers » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am

So far 10 countries USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Columbia, Portugal, Spain, France and the UK
And eleventh one on the way -- already booked apartments in Barcelona last time visited the northern parts of Spain, this time am planning to visit southern and east southern parts..might visit Sevilla and Gibraltar), Firenze and Milan for this spring.
By the way I'm thinking of renting a scooter or electric car to look around the cities. I found links removed by admin, still not sure whether it's worth it. Anyone tried something similar?
0 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:21 pm

USA - 45 states I think?
Canada
Mexico

Costa Rica

In most of these countries I've been to multiple cities, but for only a day at a time, and I honestly cannot remember them all. I put in parenthesis the ones that I have spent extended periods of time in, that is, more than 2 nights:
England, Scotland, France (Paris), Spain (Barcelona), Belgium, Netherlands (Tilburg), Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Germany (Berlin, Munich), Poland, Czech (Prague), Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Greece, Hungary (Budapest), Italy, Austria (Vienna), Switzerland, Romania, Ukraine (Kiev, Odessa, Lvov), Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg, Vladimir, Tver, Novgorod, Kazan, Ulyanovsk, Ryazan)

China (Beijing only)

Unfortunately my "road dog" days are mostly over. Though, I still try to get to a few new places per year. My top 5 goals are: Morocco, Iran, Norway, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina. I would also love to go to the DPRK just to say I did.
3 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:13 pm

My first trip abroad was to Czechoslovakia - I was 12 years old, and they were not separated yet. Does it count as two? ;) This was about 1992.
I was in Paris about 15 years ago. Just a week, but since we were going everywhere on foot, I could "feel" that city. Little earlier I was in Turkey. My uncle sponsored the trip. This was nice mostly due to first flight in my life ;) In Turkey, we were just on the beach, not my type of spending free time.
I was in Germany quite a long time (I studied one semester in Potsdam and visited Berlin daily and I was in Freiburg im Breisgau more ten six months altogether).
In 2006 I went to Lithuania for a conference - a few days with one trip. Later (?) I was there for a week with my wife
In 2010 I was in Moscow for a week. I had an interesting return home since the volcano's eruption I had to go by train via Ukraine.
I was in Vienna a few times in the last years.
In 2017 and 2018 I was in Israel

So:
Czechoslovakia
Turkey
France
Germany
Lithuania
Russia (I do not count Ukraine since I was in the train/car all the time)
Austria
Israel
3 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 pm

lavengro wrote:Unless you can include countries through which one was dragged solely for extradition purposes, my travel resume is as follows:

México
South Korea
France
Iceland
Canada (provinces: all except for Newfoundland/Labrador; territories: just the Yukon)
U.S. (states I've been in: Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Inebriation, New York, Florida, North Dakota as a small crawly thing, Vermont and Hawai'i)

Update, though not by as much as I would have hoped:

Italy (Roma, Sorrento, Sori, Venezia and various autostrade between those cities travelling at 160 km/h and still getting passed)

Pending in about six weeks:

Costa Rica (not yet sure exactly where within Costa Rica but hopefully the parts where there are less tarantulas, as I am wildly arachnophobic).

Edit to update (2019.05.04):

Costa Rica (San Jose, La Fortuna, Jacó, Quepos)
Last edited by lavengro on Sat May 04, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Return to “Travel and Culture”