"Official" PODCAST (in Spanish) Reviews and Recommendations

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
adelante
Languages: English (N), Spanish* (C1), Arabic* (beginner), Portuguese (A2 lapsed)
* Actively studying

Re: "Official" PODCAST (in Spanish) Reviews and Recommendations

Postby adelante » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:36 pm

Voces de Cuba (https://www.vocesdecuba.com/) publishes oral histories of Cuban exiles living in the United States. The stories told by this broad spectrum of the Cuban diaspora -- artists, lawyers, doctors, journalists, activists, and business people among others -- are riveting, and they add a lot of context and color to the last 60+ years of Cuban and Cuban-American history. From a language-learning perspective, you'll find a broad range of Cuban Spanish, of course, and a certain amount of helpful repetition in vocabulary since the interviewees are often talking about similar time periods and events in pre- and post-revolution Cuba. The audio and video quality are generally very good. Most episodes are between 45-60 minutes long.

El Gran Apagón from Podium Podcast (https://www.podiumpodcast.com/el-gran-apagon/): Although I think this series has already been mentioned in this thread, one really cool thing about the first season is that there's a parallel podcast called "Tras El Gran Apagón" (https://www.ivoox.com/tras-el-gran-apagon_bk_list_253451_1.html) that follows it episode by episode. Each episode in this "meta-podcast" is composed of a 30-minute critical discussion about just one episode of the drama, plus some bonus content at the end from the director and screenwriter. Both the panelists and the scene-by-scene discussion format are always the same, which made it easier to adapt to the rapid-fire Castellano spoken by the critics on the panel. I found it really helpful to listen to an episode of the drama, tune in to the discussion of said episode, and then re-listen to the original episode. Unfortunately, they didn't continue this parallel series beyond the first season of El Gran Apagón. I'm pretty sure the critics make a cameo appearance, though. How very meta. :)
6 x
2020 Q1 Arabic
: 13 / 38 Language Transfer
: 1 / 15 DLI Arabic Basic Course

2020 Q1 Spanish
: 3 / 20 20 hours of input
: 0 / 6 6 hours of output
: 3 / 30 30 kwizzes on Kwiziq

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:49 pm

I've another. The podcast is by Ritxi Ostáriz, titled El libro rojo. After listening to the first 60 hours, I am happy to have another 40 to go before I put myself apace with the rhythm of record. Normally, I rotate casts, but this one has captured my plain attention for the last several days. You could say it grew on me like a sacred tree (more on that below). The content is very much in line with its quoted description. Some adds of my own:

Ritxi interviews and often. The guests are sometimes quite well-known and almost always very interesting. The subject matter is diverse and relevant with substantial knowledge comparted. He takes time at the beginning of each cast to get to know the person behind the mic. Lots of energy and passion, both physical and otherwise. He has traveled quite extensively, is an avid hiker and goes for discovery. He starts most new topics with very well chosen quotes, all the more so as many are new to my ears. I would describe them as eloquent and thought provoking (have thought about replaying those first few minutes of each one, since it is easy to do via ivoox). Has seen much of the world (when I saw him in video, I was surprised that he was so young given maturity level). As a side note the name of the podcast comes from a recently published work by Carl Jung (wiki link below), which I find to be quite a nice tangent to follow in its own right. Vocabulary is relatively accessible and they will even define concepts and terms every now and again. Spain Spanish that is not a speed blur. I would consider it a bulding block for something like Memorias de un tambor. The music score is quite reasonable as well, a tidbit that I have come to appreciate when putting in high listen hours. Book recommendations (often written by those interviewed) are provided for f/u at the end of each bout. Very few regionalisms, so I don't think this would be a great one for slang or multi-lects. Speech overall is likely somewhere on the path to neutrality but not quite at news anchor state.

As a quick aside, I have heard mention with respect to podcasts vs [say] tv, that podcasts can be bit tougher to get hooked on. Personally, podcasts do grow on me, but more slowly. With this one, I would say maybe around the 20-30 hour mark, I really started getting into it. Hope you enjoy is as much as I have.

Audio download -> iVoox - El libro rojo
Tocayo -> es.wikipedia.org (Jung)

Presenter's professional graphics and design page - https://ritxiostariz.com/
Ted talk -> Pasión. Profesión | Ritxi Ostariz | TEDxMirasierra
Vimeo - longer talk, same topic -> Pasión y profesión - la unión de los opuestos

El Libro Rojo es un podcast de radio sobre antropología, etnografía, mitología, folklore, simbolismo y tradición, dirigido y presentado por Ritxi Ostáriz. Un viaje de retorno a las fuentes de lo sagrado.
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:37 am

Over the weekend I messed around in the Podcast Addict search engine trying to find some new podcasts. I came across a podcast for learners. It's simply called ''Podcast En Spanish''

Link

It's mostly a grammar based podcast that's split into three levels: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced. It's completely in Spanish. The podcast host is from Spain (but lives in the US) and the other speakers are from Mexico/USA.

It's really cool and very in depth. I definitely recommend it if you are a grammar nerd like me haha
2 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:46 am

I was listening streamroll to another podcast on history (will review later as it is very good) and Radio argo historia managed to pull me clean off of it. For context, this is kind of how my moment to moment podcast pickings shake out: I scroll down a list of maybe 20+ podcasts/audiobooks that I have loaded on my smartphone (in various state of array/disarray/playback), and like picking any good lunch, one or two of them invariably stand out as mmm...has audit appeal, want listen. Very recent-like, the stylus keeps landing on Argo. So naturally the next trick was to make sense of 'why the like-trend?', especially after hearing so many different history casts (glut makes one a bit picky afterall). After a good long brood, I found a pretty interesting nexus in the center of it all.

For starters, so far there have been a minimum of three good presenters for each of the podcasts. I noticed right away a very palpable and genuine camaraderie amongst group members. Relaxing but stimulating conversation yielding a good general purpose program for me, one that works for most any mood. To put it elsely, the group is trusting and respectful but not short on energy and passion, yielding an information flow that doesn't detract from the listening experience. The group members, in front of and behind the mic, have complementary skillsets as you might expect from a good team. They weave interesting stories that pack a good crisp anecdotal punch. The types of anecdotes they add are just the things I would have wanted to hear about flowing at once from a river doesn't run dry. There are many ways to approach learning about history, and details like they provide here make the imagination come alive. They've a good DJ who plays a role far from trivial. They play music at least once or twice per hour, not really slated as commercial, but often quite obviously chosen to go with the exact material they have just finished talking about (some of it quite funny with excellent timing). The music clips are about 30 seconds long, an innovation that really improves the presentation in my view, since as language learners, we might not want a ballad for every ballast. Leaves me wanting more of the music without enough time to forget what they were roundtabling about before it started. In my opinion, that is a very good way to incorporate music into a podcast.

Separately, too many of the other history/radio podcasts I have listened to have their playback set in constant rush hour mode, starting off wound up tight and culminating with a instrument (desenlace) sufficiently out of tune, reminiscent of a school kid trying to eke out an exam they hadn't studied for right at the buzzer, ending predicably with a line like, en fin...el tiemp...se...acab...and the wave goes dead. This group is more professional and at ease than that for sure (though they are not immune to using that sort of diction from time to time as they do keep a schedule). Pacing is good. Speech is relatively neutral Spain Spanish, not too fast. I don't know if they do it on purpose, but they keep a rhythm that gives me just enough time for a bit of reflexion as they are relating, but not enough to get bored (far from it so far). 200+ epsiodes, about 150 hours for your perusal. I started recently so I have a lot of hours left in the tank. I am reviewing it early on since I don't think the quality will waffle too much over the given hours.

ivoox - Radio argo historia
Radioargo.com - radiophonic team

¿Conocemos nuestra historia? Descubre la otra cara de la historia, anécdotas, curiosidades, misterios…, todas aquellas cosas que no suelen salir en los libros . Como eran nuestros antepasados, sus vivencias, su día a día, sus emociones….; descúbrelo con nosotros en radioargo.com
Si alguna vez existe una máquina del tiempo no haremos éste programa. Mientras tanto paseamos por la historia viajando al antiguo mundo romano, tenemos una sección con la crónica rosa de la historia, que tiene lo suyo y descubriremos personajes y hechos que nos asombrarán.
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:27 am

Thanks for the reference to and review of Argo. I'm giving it a shot right now.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:22 pm

I just got the notice that Podium has re-issued a documentary series called Borges según Borges.

I usually like Podium's podcasts. I tried to read Borges once but my Spanish wasn't good enough. Or maybe my Spanish was good enough and Borges just goes over my head. Either way, I know he's an important guy, and I'll be giving this series a go.
2 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:04 pm

Hoy os presento Historia con el móvil

''Un podcast de historia dirigido especialmente a estudiantes de secundaria y bachillerato; pretende así ser una herramienta para trabajar la clase invertida. Pero también está dirigido a todas esas personas curiosas y amantes del conocimiento.''

Si eres estudiante intermedio (y te gusta la historia) te lo recomiendo altamente. El locutor es andaluz pero aunque se coma la s, habla muy claro y de paso te vas acostumbrando al acento y acentos similares. Me encanta su forma de contar historias, es como si estuviera hablando directamente contigo. También habla con mucha pasión. Se nota que le encanta lo que hace.

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/ ... il-Podcast
3 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:16 am

One of my all time favorite podcasts (can't believe I held out on you guys/gals and never shared this one:

El Podcast de Alex Fernández:

Alex Fernández is a Mexican comedian. Super funny. Has a lot of guests on the show. I normally listen on Google podcasts but easier to link his YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/o1YhI_syQvE

Tom Segura en Español

Tom is an American comedian who speaks Spanish. This podcast is really new (2 episodes) and I haven't even had a chance to listen to the whole show. I think Tom Segura is super funny (and inappropriate ) so I'm sure this podcast will get me to laugh. Maybe it will get you to laugh too. He speaks very clearly and slowly, so this could be a good one if you're trying to improve your listening skills. I imagine there will be some "Spanglish" in this show.

https://youtu.be/LMwAChSiPvQ
3 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”