Natibo - Android app for Glossika (and more!)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Re: Natibo - Android app for Glossika (and more!)

Postby crush » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Flickserve wrote:To my mind, it's a great feature to feed in sentences from your own sources.

Definitely! I've been thinking of ways to streamline this process, but it seems it's easiest to just record/split everything yourself, but i've been thinking audiobooks could be a good potential source of sentences, especially if there were a way to quickly listen to them and either select the ones you wanted to keep or select the ones you wanted to skip.
0 x

barrybounce
Languages: English (N), Estonian (A2)

Postby barrybounce » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 pm

I've been using this today thanks to kind help from Crush. It's really amazing and is the tool that perfects Glossika - it's the missing tool without which Glossika was flawed!

I'm now wishing I'd bought a couple more of the old Glossika courses while they were available!
1 x

lernalanguage
Languages: Spanish (N) English (C1)

Postby lernalanguage » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi crush ! Where could I find some information on how to prepare some courses myself or how to make a gls package so that I can import that to Natibo? I already installed it and in expectation on how to use it with my own material. I have audio material like sentences in mp3 format. The repeat "ad infinitum" mode would be wonderful.
0 x

mpicon
Languages: Spanish, English, Portuguese. Studying Mandarin

Postby mpicon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:04 pm

crush wrote:Today i've posted release v0.3.1:
------------------------
This release fixes a few bugs. Here are some of the changes:

• Changing the starting sentence now resets your session so that you start immediately at the new sentence.
  • Some changes were made to how the time left is calculated which should make it more accurate.
  • Support for triangulation and single-language courses has been added. You can study multiple languages in one session or just listen to the sentences in your target language. This change paves the way for making more flexible courses in the future.
  • The app should be better about updating the UI/current sentence playing when coming back to the study session page and there should be fewer issues (hopefully "none") starting multiple sessions without closing out of the app.
  • Preliminary support for handling orientation changes.

Great news, Crush! I've testing the previous version and the fixes were exactly the ones I was going to point it out. It's an excelllent tool.

I use it every single day...

Thank you for sharing it with us.
0 x

lernalanguage

Postby lernalanguage » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Great news, Crush! I've testing the previous version and the fixes were exactly the ones I was going to point it out. It's an excelllent tool.

I use it every single day...

Thank you for sharing it with us
Hi fellow learners ...could anyone help me with the format of the gls pack to import it to Natibo
1 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:37 pm

I'll explain it today, sorry for the wait!

EDIT: Ok, I made a post on GitHub a while back here which also contains a sample .gls pack (an older version of my Shanghainese pack which i've been paying a professional translator to translate and record) as a sample to show you the format of everything. Here's a copy of what i wrote there:
As for the actual .gls pack itself, it is indeed a renamed .zip file. I've attached a sample for Shanghainese that i've made/been using to study Shanghainese: SHA-F1.zip
(Note: you'll have to change the extension to .gls, Github won't let me upload a .gls file directly.)

As for the structure, it's pretty simple, inside you have a .gsp file which is just a tab-separated CSV file. The first line should list what sentence parts you are adding, currently accepted values are "index", "sentence", "IPA", and "romanization". At the very least, you should include "index" and "sentence", the other two are optional. The index is the order of the sentences, so F1 has indices 1-1000, F2 has 1001-2000, etc. The name of this .gsp is important: LANGNAME-4_DIGIT_FIRST_INDEX-4_DIGIT_LAST_INDEX.gsp, e.g. "SHA-0001-1000.gsp", "EN-1001-1500.gsp", etc. I trim the spaces out if you add any in, but it's probably best to leave it without any spaces. Also make sure your language has been added here and that you're using the same 2-3 letter name.

The only other thing in the .gls file is the audio for each sentence. This looks like this:
DE - F1 - 0001.mp3
DE - F1 - 0002.mp3
etc.

You can import all the text and gradually add the audio as you go recording it or splitting it, but for now it'll crash if it tries to play a sentence without any audio. In the Shanghainese course, i've recorded and split the first 550 sentences but added the text for the first 1000 sentences, so trying to play sentence 551 will cause it to crash. It'll work for all sentences up to that point, though.

If you have any questions or need any help, please let me know! I don't always get the e-mail notifications for this topic but i do check here fairly frequently. Alternatively you can raise an issue on GitHub.
0 x

lernalanguage

Postby lernalanguage » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:02 am

Thank you so much crush for your answer ! Im planning on loading quite a few sentences so Im excited to see how it works!
0 x

radiccio
Languages: Spanish, Thai

Postby radiccio » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:28 am

I have the Natibo app installed, but I haven't a clue on how to go about creating the GLS packs.

I'm technically minded, but I have never took the time to use Linux this way.

I tried accessing the Linux server, but it is asking for a login?

I would be grateful for any help with this.

This app is looks great, and I look forward to breathing new life into my Glossika courses :D !
0 x

Horrifido
Languages: Spanish (Native)
English (C1)

Postby Horrifido » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:58 am

After reading this post and seeing is hardly possible to try this software (or the files split software) I assume there is nothing like a Nativo APP working out there :(
0 x

rstewartnyc
Languages: English (N), French (A2/B1)

Postby rstewartnyc » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:57 pm

crush wrote:I'll explain it today, sorry for the wait!

EDIT: Ok, I made a post on GitHub a while back here which also contains a sample .gls pack (an older version of my Shanghainese pack which i've been paying a professional translator to translate and record) as a sample to show you the format of everything. Here's a copy of what i wrote there:
crush wrote:.......
--------
You can import all the text and gradually add the audio as you go recording it or splitting it, but for now it'll crash if it tries to play a sentence without any audio. In the Shanghainese course, i've recorded and split the first 550 sentences but added the text for the first 1000 sentences, so trying to play sentence 551 will cause it to crash. It'll work for all sentences up to that point, though.

If you have any questions or need any help, please let me know! I don't always get the e-mail notifications for this topic but i do check here fairly frequently. Alternatively you can raise an issue on GitHub.

Thanks for the help with all of this. I've been using the app for a bit and now it looks like I'll have to change phones, what is the best way to pick up where I left off? I tried backing up the app but it's not listed (I'm guessing since it wasn't from the app store). If I put in my "starting sentence number", will it pretty much pick up where I left off, or is there a better, more complete way to go about this? I'm going from a Samsung note 5 to a Samsung Galaxy 9 if that matters at all since the operating systems will be slightly different, though both android. Any added insight is greatly appreciated.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”