Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

General discussion about learning languages
Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby Kat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Hashimi wrote:It seems very complicated. Where should I paste it exactly? and what to do after that? I see a lot of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.

It took me a while to figure it out, too, because I wasn't sure where exactly to paste the code.

Rightclick and choose "Inspect Element" in the menu that opens. In the upper left corner of the area that opens next, you'll see different options: "Inspector", "Console" etc.
Choose "Console" and then you'll see the white space Christi mentioned in her instructions. That's where the code needs to go.

Edited: Sorry, confused right and left.
0 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:34 am

I've been incredibly frustrated by this move of Memrise ever since I first heard about it. All decks I'm learning are on Memrise and I use offline modus a lot. Would be nice if we were at least able to take a look at this new Decks site before they throw everything off Memrise.

I'm trying to import my courses to Anki now, even though I hate Anki with a passion, but none of the Memrise course importers seem to work and figuring this out is giving me a headache (all instructions for debugging seem to be for Mac).

[edit] Complaining out loud helps, I just seemed to have fixed the problem by accident :roll:
6 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:21 pm

I appreciate all of the work trying to explain how to move decks (I am still lost, but that's nobody else's fault).

I really like flashcards and I really liked Memrise because I could organise my decks so easily. I like to have different decks and then different levels within a deck (i.e. for an article or a particular lesson, etc). As far as I understand, that's not something I can do in Anki? Does anyone have any suggestions? I would also ideally like to be able to access an app on an ipad, which again is not an option for Anki. (Yes, I know, Apple is the devil incarnate, but it's what I use)
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:27 pm

MamaPata wrote: I like to have different decks and then different levels within a deck (i.e. for an article or a particular lesson, etc).

I decided to use Quizlet for the same reason. It's a little bit different from Memrise (no Mems, SRS or option to review several levels at once as far as I can tell), but not as different as Anki seems to be.
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 pm

MamaPata wrote:I appreciate all of the work trying to explain how to move decks (I am still lost, but that's nobody else's fault).

I really like flashcards and I really liked Memrise because I could organise my decks so easily. I like to have different decks and then different levels within a deck (i.e. for an article or a particular lesson, etc). As far as I understand, that's not something I can do in Anki? Does anyone have any suggestions? I would also ideally like to be able to access an app on an ipad, which again is not an option for Anki. (Yes, I know, Apple is the devil incarnate, but it's what I use)

Would using tags to filter your deck solve the level problem? You could tag each card by lesson number and then filter the deck to study only the lesson you want. There is an app for iPad. It just costs money. It’s well worth the cost in my opinion.
0 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:42 pm

I've been playing with both Anki and Quizlet (trial paid version) this week. I like some things about Quizlet but I too prefer the levels of Memrise for organization purposes. I still do not like Anki though I am happy I was able to get it to accept input. The only way I can see dealing with this is to make many small decks unfortunately.

Quizlet does have an offline mode for apple or android and it's only $20 a year. The paid version allows you make as many decks as you want and you can organize them in folders which might work for some. I do not know how the app is because I am an old fashioned desktop user.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:00 pm

MamaPata wrote:I appreciate all of the work trying to explain how to move decks (I am still lost, but that's nobody else's fault).

Anki is available on Apple, in fact it was written for Apple first. The only problem is you have to pay for it. My daughter bought it for her phone and ipad for use with her medical studies and never looked back, it is a one-off payment. I use it so much I gave the developer a donation even though the devices I use it on it is free.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:20 pm

rdearman wrote:

Anki is available on Apple, in fact it was written for Apple first. The only problem is you have to pay for it. My daughter bought it for her phone and ipad for use with her medical studies and never looked back, it is a one-off payment. I use it so much I gave the developer a donation even though the devices I use it on it is free.

I paid for it on the iPad (free on the Mac) and it is probably the best investment in time I've made. Pay once, use it on all your iOS devices.

You can make sub-decks in Anki without a problem.
You have two methods.
1) use tags and then select, unselect cards and suspend them
2) rename your sub-decks like this :

French::verbs::easy
French::verbs::hard
etc...

Each will be a sub-deck of French and of French Verbs...

Here is an example from my own decks:

Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 23.20.13.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

languist
Orange Belt
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 pm

zenmonkey wrote:2) rename your sundecks with like this :

French::verbs::easy
French::verbs::hard
etc...

Life-changing. Thanks!
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:13 am

Christi wrote:
MamaPata wrote: I like to have different decks and then different levels within a deck (i.e. for an article or a particular lesson, etc).

I decided to use Quizlet for the same reason. It's a little bit different from Memrise (no Mems, SRS or option to review several levels at once as far as I can tell), but not as different as Anki seems to be.

There is an SRS function (which allows you to review multiple sub folders), but it's not free. That said, the premium version, Quizlet+, is $19.99 a year. That seems like a very fair price to me. A fair enough price that I might resubscribe.

I personally like Quizlet more than Anki for a number of reasons, but I'm begrudgingly trying to use Anki for Biblical Hebrew.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “General Language Discussion”