Postby Radioclare » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:36 pm

Hashimi wrote:
What browser should we use?

I'm using Firefox.

It worked for me in Chrome.
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby Christi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:44 pm

Hashimi wrote:What browser should we use?

I'm using Firefox.

I use Chrome but I think it probably also works on Firefox. You do need to be logged-in though.
1 x
2019 resolution words learned: 782 / 1000

Hashimi
Green Belt

Postby Hashimi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:50 pm

Christi wrote:

I'm using Firefox.

I use Chrome but I think it probably also works on Firefox. You do need to be logged-in though.

It seems very complicated. Where should I paste it exactly? and what to do after that? I see a lot of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.
0 x

lingua
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Studying italiano (B1/B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9868

Postby lingua » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 am

Hashimi, I wasn't able to paste in Firefox but I assumed it was related to my excessive blockers (for ads and tracking) so I had to use Safari where there was space for me to paste.

Try to paste at the end of the code.
1 x
Italian Output Challenge: wrote: 5304 / 50000 recorded: 14 / 50
Italian double SC: watched: 188 / 200 read: 244 / 244
Read 100 Italian books: 63 / 100

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Hashimi wrote:
Christi wrote:

I'm using Firefox.

It seems very complicated. Where should I paste it exactly? and what to do after that? I see a lot of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.

You copy the stript, go to the course you want to copy (make sure to be logged-in), then use your right mouse button and click on ''inspect'' ( or something similar, depending on your computer), then you will get a box containing the codes used on the site, and at the bottom of the page there's an empty field where you need to paste the script into and then press enter. Then the code will collect all the words from that course and you can add it to other platforms like Anik, Quizlet etc.
1 x

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Hashimi wrote:It seems very complicated. Where should I paste it exactly? and what to do after that? I see a lot of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.

It took me a while to figure it out, too, because I wasn't sure where exactly to paste the code.

Rightclick and choose "Inspect Element" in the menu that opens. In the upper left corner of the area that opens next, you'll see different options: "Inspector", "Console" etc.
Choose "Console" and then you'll see the white space Christi mentioned in her instructions. That's where the code needs to go.

Edited: Sorry, confused right and left.
1 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

Hashimi
Green Belt

Postby Hashimi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:09 am

Kat wrote:
Hashimi wrote:It seems very complicated. Where should I paste it exactly? and what to do after that? I see a lot of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.

It took me a while to figure it out, too, because I wasn't sure where exactly to paste the code.

Rightclick and choose "Inspect Element" in the menu that opens. In the upper left corner of the area that opens next, you'll see different options: "Inspector", "Console" etc.
Choose "Console" and then you'll see the white space Christi mentioned in her instructions. That's where the code needs to go.

Edited: Sorry, confused right and left.

Yes, in Firefox we should choose "Console", and we have to type "allow pasting" if it is the first time.

It works perfect in some courses, but in large courses like Assimil Spanish 2014 (which has more than 3000 words), it suddenly stops in the the first level. I don't know if you have the same problem in Chrome.
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Russian (A2)
Maintaining: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), German
Low-key: Ainu, Arabic (A1), Mandarin (A?)
Probably lost: Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1104

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:34 am

I've been incredibly frustrated by this move of Memrise ever since I first heard about it. All decks I'm learning are on Memrise and I use offline modus a lot. Would be nice if we were at least able to take a look at this new Decks site before they throw everything off Memrise.

I'm trying to import my courses to Anki now, even though I hate Anki with a passion, but none of the Memrise course importers seem to work and figuring this out is giving me a headache (all instructions for debugging seem to be for Mac).

[edit] Complaining out loud helps, I just seemed to have fixed the problem by accident :roll:
7 x
Russian ½ SC Movies: 50 / 50 Books: 2 / 50
Japanese ½ SC Movies: 50 / 50 Books: 11 / 50
Ainu STV Radio course: 8 / 52

MamaPata
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:21 pm

I appreciate all of the work trying to explain how to move decks (I am still lost, but that's nobody else's fault).

I really like flashcards and I really liked Memrise because I could organise my decks so easily. I like to have different decks and then different levels within a deck (i.e. for an article or a particular lesson, etc). As far as I understand, that's not something I can do in Anki? Does anyone have any suggestions? I would also ideally like to be able to access an app on an ipad, which again is not an option for Anki. (Yes, I know, Apple is the devil incarnate, but it's what I use)
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:27 pm

MamaPata wrote: I like to have different decks and then different levels within a deck (i.e. for an article or a particular lesson, etc).

I decided to use Quizlet for the same reason. It's a little bit different from Memrise (no Mems, SRS or option to review several levels at once as far as I can tell), but not as different as Anki seems to be.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”