Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

General discussion about learning languages
User avatar
lingua
Blue Belt
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:23 pm
Languages: English (N)
Studying italiano (B1/B2)
Dabbling in siciliano, Latin, piemontèis, português & Deutsch
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9868
x 594

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby lingua » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:24 am

I have tried many apps including Anki, several flashcard style apps, Quizlet, etc and always preferred the Memrise web site version. I have used the app version on the iPad and found it too gamified. I prefer a large screen with big font.

I've never used the Memrise courses as they are low level and from what I've read have too many errors. I mostly make my own courses and use a few of the community created ones. So the change itself won't be a problem for me at least initially but I suspect Decks will either be neglected or become ad supported which would cause me to find an alternative. I paid for the pro version as a way to support the site developers but my renewal is up next month so I will not be renewing.
2 x
Italian double SC Completed!: watched: 212 / 212 read: 300 / 300
Read 100 Italian books: 79 / 100

User avatar
lavengro
Green Belt
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 am
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Languages: ENGLISH (N), FRENCH (A2 - conservatively self-estimated), SPANISH (A1 - recklessly self-asserted), ITALIAN (non parlo italiano - yet - but getting closer); CHEWA (tempted...); ITHKUIL (only in my nightmares). GERMAN? 9!!
x 853

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby lavengro » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:39 am

lingua wrote:I have tried many apps including Anki, several flashcard style apps, Quizlet, etc and always preferred the Memrise web site version. I have used the app version on the iPad and found it too gamified. I prefer a large screen with big font.

I've never used the Memrise courses as they are low level and from what I've read have too many errors. I mostly make my own courses and use a few of the community created ones. So the change itself won't be a problem for me at least initially but I suspect Decks will either be neglected or become ad supported which would cause me to find an alternative. I paid for the pro version as a way to support the site developers but my renewal is up next month so I will not be renewing.


I also only use the web site version. It is my understanding that the Memrise official courses are designed to the B1 level in terms of vocabulary and sentence structure, which is a low level for many on this forum, but still of use to many others on this forum, myself included. I have used both community-generated and Memrise official courses for a variety of languages in the past. I think the official courses I have tried (Spanish and Italian to this point) are on the whole pretty well put together.
2 x
"I talk a lot. So I've learned to just tune myself out."
- Kelly Kapoor

Italian : 182 / 330
German : 85 / 605
French : 80 / 780
Turkish : 31 / 335
Spanish : 2 / 795
Heisig : 115 / 2200

User avatar
Cèid Donn
Green Belt
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:48 pm
Languages: en-us (n)
x 1061

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby Cèid Donn » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:05 am

lavengro wrote:I also only use the web site version. It is my understanding that the Memrise official courses are designed to the B1 level in terms of vocabulary and sentence structure, which is a low level for many on this forum, but still of use to many others on this forum, myself included. I have used both community-generated and Memrise official courses for a variety of languages in the past. I think the official courses I have tried (Spanish and Italian to this point) are on the whole pretty well put together.


I've done all of their French courses, most of their Spanish and German ones and few others, like some of the Swedish, Japanese and Italian ones. I've gotten some good use out of them--a few years ago I did 4 weeks of nothing but French, where I crammed through the 7 French courses and it did wonders for my pronunciation and listening at the time. Generally I found those course were quite well made. I liked the videos of fluent speakers, as they included such a variety of different speakers that it was quite a good way to practice listening. And in general the audio is very clear and good-quality. I am not using any right now, but I would be very disappointed if the coming changes to Memrise pay-wall them or otherwise make them inaccessible.
4 x

Beli Tsar
Orange Belt
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548
x 299

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby Beli Tsar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:36 am

languist wrote:I only have access to a Mac, if anyone happens to figure out how to do it, I’d really appreciate it if you could post a comment here.

The chrome extension 'Memrise on Steroids' has a 'collector' tool that will extract everything from a course and put it into a CSV, which can then be imported to Anki.
Not sure if it does audio, but for pure words it works well enough.
5 x
: 8 / 20 Ancient Greek - Read 1,000,000 words
: 13 / 55 Hebrew - Kittel & Hoffer
: 19 / 20 Persian - Read 100,000 words

languist
Orange Belt
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 pm
Languages: English (N)
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523
x 358

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby languist » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Beli Tsar wrote:
languist wrote:I only have access to a Mac, if anyone happens to figure out how to do it, I’d really appreciate it if you could post a comment here.

The chrome extension 'Memrise on Steroids' has a 'collector' tool that will extract everything from a course and put it into a CSV, which can then be imported to Anki.
Not sure if it does audio, but for pure words it works well enough.


Thank you! It does seem to be without the audio, and audio is basically the only reason why I use memrise. Anyone have an idea of how to even export the text (like with this extension) and the audio separately? I was searching online but couldn't find anything which works on Mac. ;___;
0 x

User avatar
dicentra8
Yellow Belt
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:07 pm
Location: Portugal
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114
x 163

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby dicentra8 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Awkward timing... When it comes to stability I never trusted Memrise a lot so a few weeks ago I decided to use the memrise2anki extension (again) and imported what I was using to Anki. Personally it won't affect me a lot since I was already using Anki for a "offline mode/emergency", if I needed. I guess I'll have to wait and see how things go when they start to migrate things. :?

Cavesa wrote:About the Memrise Pro refunds: I've read posts by people elsewhere, that they are not getting answers from Memrise, except for generic links to info about the conditions of refunds (which do not apply to anyone, who has paid at the end of the year, as you have one month to ask for a refund).

The whole thing seems like it's going to be a nightmare to handle. I saw a person who has got the lifetime subscription and only uses user-created courses... :shock: I really hope people will get some kind of refund. It won't be fair for a lot of them.

I'll add here the features from the FAQ topic

Available in Decks:
Learning and Reviewing Sessions:
Learn
Classic Review
Difficult Words
Speed Review
Listening Skills

Other learning features:
Mems
Leaderboards
Points
Learning Settings
Streak
Daily Goal

Course Creation:
Course Editor
Groups

Not Available in Decks:
Chatbot and Grammarbot
Learn with Locals
Pronunciation mode
Learning Stats
Grammar mode
Offline mode
App
2 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

MacGyver
Yellow Belt
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:36 am
Languages: .
x 170

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby MacGyver » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:48 am

I wonder if this means they will add more official courses. Assuming a majority of people are only learning one language, the app will be pretty limited without all the user created courses...
1 x

User avatar
Cèid Donn
Green Belt
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:48 pm
Languages: en-us (n)
x 1061

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby Cèid Donn » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:53 am

dicentra8 wrote:The whole thing seems like it's going to be a nightmare to handle.


I think it already has become a nightmare for Memrise Inc. People are unhappy. And I doubt Memrise is going to change their minds at this point because if they're ready to launch this new site in a couple of weeks, they've already put in a ton of planning and work already. They probably knew users wouldn't like this, so they didn't make it public until the 11th hour, figuratively speaking, so they wouldn't have to deal with months of people yelling at them.

By the way, the cat in your profile pic looks like if someone merged my two cats into one cat. :lol:
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 am
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)
x 10136

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby Cavesa » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:34 am

MacGyver wrote:I wonder if this means they will add more official courses. Assuming a majority of people are only learning one language, the app will be pretty limited without all the user created courses...


Cèid Donn wrote:
dicentra8 wrote:The whole thing seems like it's going to be a nightmare to handle.


I think it already has become a nightmare for Memrise Inc. People are unhappy. And I doubt Memrise is going to change their minds at this point because if they're ready to launch this new site in a couple of weeks, they've already put in a ton of planning and work already. They probably knew users wouldn't like this, so they didn't make it public until the 11th hour, figuratively speaking, so they wouldn't have to deal with months of people yelling at them.


These are very good points.

Memrise ha shown they don't care much about the user feedback before. But they have never changed the product completely. I would be very curious about the amount of refound emails they're getting these days, and the users not renewing.

In past, they were changing some functions, the design, etc. But the basic product was the same. An SRS with memes and with a huge amount of courses, a few of which were made by the company itself.

Now, they are changing the huge SRS into something like Duolingo or Babbel or another beginner app. Will the amount and quality of their content be enough for so much money or will they have to make their Pro much cheaper? Will they have that many users, or will those go to their new competitors, as Memrise has just limited themselves to an already populated part of the market?

It looks like they've decided to go a few levels down. They are now much more comparable to Duolingo, Lingvist, Clozemaster, Babbel, Lingodeer, and normal coursebooks. That is a different kind of competition. I'd say that is the important part of the Memrise's future. Will they manage to have better PR than Duolingo, more varied exercises like Babbel, good srs like Lingvist, lots of official content like Clozemaster, and a great app like Lingodeer?

The older users are getting the message "we do not care about you or your work volunteered for our profit at all". So, the newbies will decide. It might be fun to watch the Memrise fall or rise, when we'll have adapted to the situation and moved the decks to other platforms. :-)
2 x

User avatar
lavengro
Green Belt
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 am
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Languages: ENGLISH (N), FRENCH (A2 - conservatively self-estimated), SPANISH (A1 - recklessly self-asserted), ITALIAN (non parlo italiano - yet - but getting closer); CHEWA (tempted...); ITHKUIL (only in my nightmares). GERMAN? 9!!
x 853

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby lavengro » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:19 am

Cavesa wrote:....

.... a few of which were made by the company itself. ....


For anyone who may be interested, the present total of Memrise official language courses is 1238, including such diverse languages as Icelandic, Slovenian and Mongolian. This is entirely exclusive of the community-developed language courses which are still being hosted.

https://www.memrise.com/user/Memrise/courses/teaching/
1 x
"I talk a lot. So I've learned to just tune myself out."
- Kelly Kapoor

Italian : 182 / 330
German : 85 / 605
French : 80 / 780
Turkish : 31 / 335
Spanish : 2 / 795
Heisig : 115 / 2200


Return to “General Language Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maritzazz2, seito and 2 guests