Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

General discussion about learning languages
Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby Cèid Donn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Le sigh. As a daily Memrise user, I guess I will have to prepare for this disruption in my learning routine. I wonder if this means they are planning on expanding their own content, because right now, "official" Memrise courses are a fairly small fraction of courses on Memrise, even though some of them are fairly popular.

Oh, hmm. The page on the Memrise site alerting us about this change does not assure us Pro users that our Pro membership will transfer to Decks. I'll have to look into that. I will be extremely annoyed if it doesn't.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

PoeticTragedy
White Belt
Languages: English, German, Spanish, Swedish

Postby PoeticTragedy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:43 pm

For those that may not have received the email it is as follows

"Hello,

We’re getting in touch because you have previously created your own courses using the Memrise website. We want to let you know that we are moving all community-created courses to a new sister website called Decks, which will go live in early March.

We know that you care about the courses that you have created, and those that you have been learning, so we want to reassure you that very little will actually change. Decks is part of the Memrise brand, we are just giving your courses a new, well-deserved home. Here's a breakdown:

• You can use your Memrise details to log in to Decks
• Your learning progress and the learning progress of those learning your courses will be migrated to Decks
• From mid-March, all community-created courses will no longer be available in the Memrise apps or website. However, the Decks website will be mobile-friendly
• The way you create your courses will be exactly the same as before
• Decks will be completely free

For the full list of features and to answer any questions you may have about Decks, please head here.

We'll get in touch with you again when Decks is ready for you to try it!

Best wishes,

Ed Cooke
CEO"

There seems to be a forum set up with some further information here https://community.memrise.com/t/what-fe ... ecks/33423

I had a look at the forum but there does not seem to be mention of premium membership as it states that everything on Decks is free.
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 pm

I'm very disappointed about this :( The only reason I subscribed to Memrise Pro was to be able to use courses offline in the app. From what I've read today, Decks isn't going to have an app so it won't be possible to use offline.
4 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:54 pm

Radioclare wrote:I'm very disappointed about this :( The only reason I subscribed to Memrise Pro was to be able to use courses offline in the app. From what I've read today, Decks isn't going to have an app so it won't be possible to use offline.

I just went to the Q&A and apparently offline mode won't be available.
That sucks!!!
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:14 pm

Hashimi wrote:Memrise2anki tool will not work with these courses anymore (unless the developer update the script), so if you find any user-created course interesting for you, import it to Anki, and later you can export it to other formats (txt, csv, etc.)

Just looked at this tool and it does not seem to work on my mac (generates an error).
Did you use this on a PC?
0 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm so glad I switched over to Anki.
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Radioclare wrote:I'm very disappointed about this :( The only reason I subscribed to Memrise Pro was to be able to use courses offline in the app. From what I've read today, Decks isn't going to have an app so it won't be possible to use offline.

Oh no. <many rude words> It's one of the reason I got Pro too (that and they offered me 80% off a year's sub to re-sub after I had let my previous Pro sub lapse for over a year). I guess I won't be renewing it this summer.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Well I only use it for Setswana, and not frequently at that, so no loss for me really. Anki here I come! BTW instructions for how to export to anki would be welcome?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:54 pm

rdearman wrote:Well I only use it for Setswana, and not frequently at that, so no loss for me really. Anki here I come! BTW instructions for how to export to anki would be welcome?

Yeah. Just went through that.

On a PC (because it won't work on a Mac).

Download the following extension: https://github.com/wilddom/memrise2anki-extension

Install instructions are on the readme.md file on the github repository.
I'm currently downloading the Intro to Setswana Course. I'll share that with you once I'm done.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:44 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Download the following extension: https://github.com/wilddom/memrise2anki-extension

I downloaded this extension. I tried to extract to the add-ons folder but could only copy and paste it because the option didn't come up. The code can't possibly be 'deleted', can it? Otherwise I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm computer clueless.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”