I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
MarianoM
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (Native), English (Advanced) German (Beginner)

I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby MarianoM » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm

How do I ask someone to put my cellphone number in his/her cellphone? In spanish we say "agendame" but I couldn't find an equivalent expression in English, maybe:

"Register me?" or "add me?" Maybe I'm wrong but none of these sound natural to me.

Thanks
1 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: I didn't find this on the Internet can you help me?

Postby Adrianslont » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:40 pm

“Add me to your contacts”

“Would you like to add me to your contacts?”

“Could you add me to your contacts?”

“Would you like my number?”

All of those work for me as a native speaker of English living in Australia.
8 x

MarianoM
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (Native), English (Advanced) German (Beginner)

Postby MarianoM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks Adrian.

So it's rather simple just "add me to your contacts" I thought that maybe there was some idiom or expression. But if that's natural as you say, it's enough for me.

Thanks for your help!
1 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 pm

MarianoM wrote:Thanks Adrian.

So it's rather simple just "add me to your contacts" I thought that maybe there was some idiom or expression. But if that's natural as you say, it's enough for me.

Thanks for your help!

I think, in UK English at least, that could sound a little formal/odd/a touch rude, since it's demanding an action from the person you are speaking to. I'd use 'can I give you my number'?
1 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Beli Tsar wrote:

Thanks for your help!

I think, in UK English at least, that could sound a little formal/odd/a touch rude, since it's demanding an action from the person you are speaking to. I'd use 'can I give you my number'?
They say that US Americans (usually) tend to be more direct than people from the United Kingdom. Maybe someone from the US could comment on "add me" vs. "can you add me". I think it could be useful to MarianoM, as well as some others.
1 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:10 pm

SGP wrote:
Beli Tsar wrote:

Thanks for your help!

They say that US Americans (usually) tend to be more direct than people from the United Kingdom. Maybe someone from the US could comment on "add me" vs. "can you add me". I think it could be useful to MarianoM, as well as some others.
Adrianslont's sentences are probably the best way to say it in US English as well.
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Deinonysus wrote:Adrianslont's sentences are probably the best way to say it in US English as well.
Not disagreeing with you. However, Adrianslont's senteces contain both of "add me" and "would you like to add me". So the remaining question was more about whether "add me" sounds too direct to "the average US English speaker", not if all of Adrianslont's sentences can be used in US English as well.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:34 pm

SGP wrote:
Deinonysus wrote:Adrianslont's sentences are probably the best way to say it in US English as well.
Not disagreeing with you. However, Adrianslont's senteces contain both of "add me" and "would you like to add me". So the remaining question was more about whether "add me" sounds too direct to "the average US English speaker", not if all of Adrianslont's sentences can be used in US English as well.

I don't know about too direct, but it isn't a commonly used phrase so without context you wouldn't know what to add them to. That's why the other sentences work better.
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:43 pm

SGP wrote:

Can't speak for all of US English, but casual California English, we'd generally drop the "contacts" and just say "add me to your phone" or "add me to your cell" or the even more casual "do you want to add me" with both cell phone and contacts assumed.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:51 pm

MarianoM wrote:How do I ask someone to put my cellphone number in his/her cellphone? In spanish we say "agendame" but I couldn't find an equivalent expression in English, maybe:

"Register me?" or "add me?" Maybe I'm wrong but none of these sound natural to me.

Thanks

My American method is, I hand them my phone and say, "Call yourself." Then I have their number in my dialed calls list and they have mine in their received calls list. They can add it to their contact list on their phone or not as they please. They can even not call themselves if they don't want to. Sometimes someone does not catch on right away, but the light goes on soon enough, and if not, I explain it to them. No one has ever seemed offended by this method, nor was I offended the first time someone used this tactic with me.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”