kanewai
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: French, Italian, Spanish, Arabic
Inactive: Turkish, Indonesian, Pááfang
Very Inactive: Latin, Ancient Greek

Extension request: multiquote

Postby kanewai » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:07 am

I'd love to have a way to select a portion of a post to quote, or to be able to select multiple posts to quote. Right now I work around it by keeping multiple windows open, and doing a lot of cutting and pasting.

Would an extension similar to this work for the forum? Modern quote - multiquote and quote highlighted text

Or does the forum already support this, and I'm just missing how to do it?
2 x
Marcos Chicot. El asesinato de Sócrates: 75 / 768
Ibrahim al-Koni, Les mages: 120 / 620
Andrea Camilleri, La forma dell acqua: 12 / 100
L.L. Arabic: 16 / 30

jonm
Orange Belt
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginner: Italian, German, Latin, Sanskrit, Arabic, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Re: Extension request: multiquote

Postby jonm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 am

Hi kanewai, when you're writing a reply, you can scroll down to see the other posts in the thread, and each has a quote button on the right. If you click that, it'll quote that post wherever you have the cursor in the editor window. You can use that to quote multiple posts.

I don't know of a way to quote only a selected portion of a post, so I just quote the whole thing and delete the parts I don't want. The extension you linked to does seem like it might be a little easier.

(Edit: I didn't notice this was in a special forum or I probably wouldn't have jumped in before the mods, but I guess I'll leave this in case it's helpful.)
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Postby Serpent » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:23 am

kanewai wrote:Or does the forum already support this, and I'm just missing how to do it?
No. (edit: apart from the way jonm showed)
I don't know if the extension can be installed but it's indeed very convenient (I've seen it on another forum). BTW I never noticed the multiquote function. With this extension you can just quote separate fragments of text and everything will be added to the reply box at the bottom of the page. (we don't have it enabled)

On a computer you can select the needed text and drag it into the reply form (in a different tab/window). If you select it and click quote, it will be formatted as a quote (without attribution).
jonm wrote: If you click that, it'll quote that post wherever you have the cursor in the editor window.
Wow, that's pretty cool! Thanks for pointing this out :D And this did allow me to quote just a part of your post! (the one that was selected)
jonm wrote:I didn't notice this was in a special forum or I probably wouldn't have jumped in before the mods
No worries. Anyone can reply here, within reason.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

jonm
Orange Belt

Postby jonm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:37 am

Serpent wrote:Wow, that's pretty cool! Thanks for pointing this out :D And this did allow me to quote just a part of your post! (the one that was selected)

You bet! :D And I didn't know that you could use that button to quote just the selected text. That's much simpler. Very cool indeed!
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:46 am

kanewai wrote:I'd love to have a way to select a portion of a post to quote, or to be able to select multiple posts to quote. Right now I work around it by keeping multiple windows open, and doing a lot of cutting and pasting.

Would an extension similar to this work for the forum? Modern quote - multiquote and quote highlighted text

Or does the forum already support this, and I'm just missing how to do it?

That's a 3.2 extension that needs some modification to the style templates that we have on the site.

So basically it would require that the site be updated to 3.2 first and that someone takes the time to write the style updates and the Admins agree to install these updates. It's not an approved mod, so it would require some code review to assure it isn't doing anything nasty.

It likely is not going to happen.
Personally, I'd like to see a partial quote function and link backs from the quote where when you click on the "xxxx wrote:", it brings you back to the original post.
4 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

jonm
Orange Belt

Postby jonm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:04 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Personally, I'd like to see ... link backs from the quote where when you click on the "xxxx wrote:", it brings you back to the original post.

That would be a really nice feature to have.
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”