The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 pm

I am yet to receive a score from the following competitors for January. This is not a ‘name and shame’ message, but a simple chasing of loose ends. I’m not likely to chase such loose ends so much in future, but given this has been the first month completed, best get onto it.

Ani
atiekay
chamomile232
Iceberg
fjib

Iszlak
jacquemarie
Jaleel10
-JM-
kathrs

languist
miho
Sarafina
Skynet
Soclydeza

thoughtlessboy
Virat
Cavesa
ilolwhat
inkypod

Xenops
SDPhil
MaryP
humerusthings

This was a PM sent to the numerous competitors above of the 365 Day Challenge from whom I am yet to receive a score for January. I decided to post it here to ensure I capture those who may not see or have access to private messaging. Don’t feel pressured or that this is an attempt at shaming you in public. It’s not - it’s just a reminder on the processes for scoring for the challenge. You can simply ignore this if you’re incredibly busy.

I ask that you please post your score for January in the The 365 Day Challenge - Scoring thread. Please include your username, language(s), adjusted score and number of missed days (so that I can see that your calculations make sense).

If you have already done so, my apolgies for missing it. Please remind me of your score.

If you did not begin on the 1st of January 2019, I ask that you still post your score as it was at the end of January anyway with a remark noting your later start date.

If you are busy, please post later when you are free.

If you decline to post your score altogether, I encourage you to do so for the benefit of others in the challenge, but it is not compulsory.

If you have ceased participating, please announce this in The 365 Day Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion thread, or please at least PM me back.

Some perspective:

Please forgive me if I’m way off and have totally missed numerous scores being posted or some other major blunder. As I said to another forum member recently-

I’m Chasing 24 ppl yet to post scores, a few others with unclear scores, adjusting rules and keeping up with my language studies let alone attend to work, children and an upcoming relocation to back of beyond means I miss things. Oh and the forum still keeps endlessly signing me out after 5 seconds of activity.

This isn’t so much as me whingeing but just to illustrate why I might miss some things (oh and sometimes I just miss things, busy or not).

Hope everyone is well and learning plenty!
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:16 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:I decided to post it here to ensure I capture those who may not see or have access to private messaging.
Just to clarify, new members can't send messages but they can receive them. For example, f I need to PM a new member as a mod I generally mention my email and twitter so that they could respond.
(It's perfectly fine to make an announcement here as well, I just want to avoid misconceptions about how the forum works)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Serpent wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I decided to post it here to ensure I capture those who may not see or have access to private messaging.
Just to clarify, new members can't send messages but they can receive them. For example, f I need to PM a new member as a mod I generally mention my email and twitter so that they could respond.
(It's perfectly fine to make an announcement here as well, I just want to avoid misconceptions about how the forum works)

Thanks Serpent! I wasn’t totally clear on how PMs wirk for new members myself. I didn’t know whether or not new members would receive my messages.
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:07 am

Sad news: I am withdrawing. :( My main challenge (ha ha) has been keeping track of both this challenge and the 6WC. At present, the 6WC suits my current situation better, where I can skip on day but binge study the next day.

I still think this is a great idea for a challenge: it's helped me with consistency. Maybe next year I can try again, but for this year, I must throw in the towel.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:31 am

Xenops wrote:Sad news: I am withdrawing. :( My main challenge (ha ha) has been keeping track of both this challenge and the 6WC. At present, the 6WC suits my current situation better, where I can skip on day but binge study the next day.

I still think this is a great idea for a challenge: it's helped me with consistency. Maybe next year I can try again, but for this year, I must throw in the towel.

Sorry to see you go Xenops, but your decision makes sense. What was your final day of study, and therefore your final score?

Edit:

Note the following rule addition related to withdrawing:

If you withdraw after a string of missed days, and are wanting to calculate and provide your final score, calculate only up to your last day of study. For example, you have a score of 10 on January the 10th, 2019, with no missed days, then miss 2 days and decide to withdraw on day 13, your final score will be 10. Missed days will not be counted post your last day of study even if you decide to withdraw some days later. Thus according to the above example, your final score would be 10, not negative 4 (10 - 2 missed days, i.e. 10 - 14) for the 2 days you missed before deciding to withdraw.
0 x

kaktus
Languages: Turkish (N), English (C2), German (B2), Japanese (beginner).

Postby kaktus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:07 am

I'd like to sing up for German starting from today (19.02.2019)
Last edited by kaktus on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Jaleel10 has withdrawn on Feb 19th. Final score unknown.
0 x

iwanttolearn
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 3&start=10

Postby iwanttolearn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:56 pm

Is too late to join?
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 am

iwanttolearn wrote:Is too late to join?

No, definitely not. Still, please take note of the following points taken from the rules. I've highlighted sections in red that are particularly relevant to your late (but very welcome) arrival.

3. You can start after the 1st of February, 2019, but you must finish 31st Jan 2020. Therefore, you can still participate, you just won't be participating for a full year.

4. If you post that you want to join the challenge on a date earlier than your post, you can do so. For example if it's February 17th and you post that you want to join but your start date is January the 21st, this is acceptable. If you have studied every day since January 21st the same language(s) you are announcing to participate with and you have been completing 30 minutes a day for your language(s), then there are no penalties. If you have missed days, then the usual penalties apply from your back-dated commencement date (in this case January 21st).

As a reminder, if your official start date is between Jan 1st 2019 and February 1st, 2019, your finish date will be after 365 days of study (if you take one day off the same date the following year - eg. you first day of study is Jan 27th 2019, your last day of study will be on Jan 26th 2020) However if you sign up for a commencement date after February 1st, 2019, the latest possible competition end date remains Jan 31st 2020, so the competition will not be a full year for such competitors.

There is currently no limit set on retrospective start dates, as to how far back your start date can be, so for the moment this will be a case by case discussion until further notice.

MAIN POINTS:
** So, yes you can join, by all means.
** Your challenge will not be a full year (there's an exception, see next point below).
** You can have your start date set earlier than your request to join (provided you've been studying as per the rules). You can even start months ago if you've been studying according to the rules of the challenge for months, but just haven't joined officially. So how long have you been studying as per the rules? Not at all? Since the start of the year? A week? A few days? Set your start date as the date you started studying as per the rules and requirements of this challenge (even if you didn't know what the rules were at the time- as long as you were doing what's required).

Feel free to message back if anything needs further clarifying. Oh, and if you are joining, announce it as such, tell me your official start date and which language(s) you're joining with.
1 x

iwanttolearn
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 3&start=10

Postby iwanttolearn » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:38 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
iwanttolearn wrote:Is too late to join?

No, definitely not. Still, please take note of the following points taken from the rules. I've highlighted sections in red that are particularly relevant to your late (but very welcome) arrival.

3. You can start after the 1st of February, 2019, but you must finish 31st Jan 2020. Therefore, you can still participate, you just won't be participating for a full year.

4. If you post that you want to join the challenge on a date earlier than your post, you can do so. For example if it's February 17th and you post that you want to join but your start date is January the 21st, this is acceptable. If you have studied every day since January 21st the same language(s) you are announcing to participate with and you have been completing 30 minutes a day for your language(s), then there are no penalties. If you have missed days, then the usual penalties apply from your back-dated commencement date (in this case January 21st).

As a reminder, if your official start date is between Jan 1st 2019 and February 1st, 2019, your finish date will be after 365 days of study (if you take one day off the same date the following year - eg. you first day of study is Jan 27th 2019, your last day of study will be on Jan 26th 2020) However if you sign up for a commencement date after February 1st, 2019, the latest possible competition end date remains Jan 31st 2020, so the competition will not be a full year for such competitors.

There is currently no limit set on retrospective start dates, as to how far back your start date can be, so for the moment this will be a case by case discussion until further notice.

MAIN POINTS:
** So, yes you can join, by all means.
** Your challenge will not be a full year (there's an exception, see next point below).
** You can have your start date set earlier than your request to join (provided you've been studying as per the rules). You can even start months ago if you've been studying according to the rules of the challenge for months, but just haven't joined officially. So how long have you been studying as per the rules? Not at all? Since the start of the year? A week? A few days? Set your start date as the date you started studying as per the rules and requirements of this challenge (even if you didn't know what the rules were at the time- as long as you were doing what's required).

Feel free to message back if anything needs further clarifying. Oh, and if you are joining, announce it as such, tell me your official start date and which language(s) you're joining with.

Ah ok, I think I've got it, in that case my official start date is February 14th, I've missed 5 days since my start date
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”