Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:22 pm
x 258

Re: Team Middle East

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Maiwenn wrote:In case you missed it, Netflix released a series of stand-up comedy sets called Comedians of the world. One of the "seasons" is Middle East and features four comedians: Ibraheem Alkhairallah (Saudi), Rawsan Hallak (Jordanian), Adi Khalefa (Palestinian), Moayad Alnefaie (Saudi). It's rare to find Arabic stand-up comics with subs, so this is a welcome addition. Sadly, there no Persian or Hebrew speaking comics in the line-up. Hopefully, Netflix will keep adding!

Sadly, too, I can not afford Netflix.
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 1176 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 2055 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1054 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 2996 / 9000

User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 262

Re: Team Middle East

Postby SGP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Maiwenn wrote:In case you missed it, Netflix released a series of stand-up comedy sets called Comedians of the world. One of the "seasons" is Middle East and features four comedians: Ibraheem Alkhairallah (Saudi), Rawsan Hallak (Jordanian), Adi Khalefa (Palestinian), Moayad Alnefaie (Saudi). It's rare to find Arabic stand-up comics with subs, so this is a welcome addition. Sadly, there no Persian or Hebrew speaking comics in the line-up. Hopefully, Netflix will keep adding!

Sadly, too, I can not afford Netflix.

Not a Netflix user myself either. However, there is something that should be mentioned in this context. Netflix doesn't offer the same programs in every country. Tried to watch some Spanish movies or series, but هَيْهَات. At least the free trial period didn't expire yet when I found out that they simply aren't available in my country.
1 x
SGP originally stood for SomewhatGeekyPolyglot / Somewhat Geeky Polyglot, nowadays it simply stands for SGP.

Any 2-digit # of lang. in rotation - Multi-language log about music, art, foods, ...


User avatar
Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am
Location: Grand Est, France
Languages: English (N) & French
beginner+: German, Moroccan Arabic
beginner-: MSA
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321
x 356

Re: Team Middle East

Postby Maiwenn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:46 am

For a long time, I thought there weren't audiobooks in Arabic, but... shocker... there are! كتاب صوتي is audiobook in Arabic.

One producer (https://kitabsawti.com) offers a free 14-day trial. They even have popular titles like the Hunger Games trilogy and The Da Vinci Code. (Note: when you create an account it starts the free 14-day trial immediately... I wish I had known this to time things accordingly.) It is a subscription-based app and there's no option to buy individual titles. Within the app, you can select the playback speed (.75x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x). The titles I've sampled so far have had engaging, professional narrators.

I'll be testing it out the next 14 days, so let me know if you have any questions!

EDIT 30/01/2019 Adding my thoughts on the Kitab Sawti app here:
Things I would change:
Encourage more performance from the narrators. Narrators did not create separate « voices » for principal characters. Dialogue therefore blended in with the rest of the text. There’s not much performance compared to audiobooks I’ve listened to in English, French, and German.
Add chapter markers! You can add bookmarks on your own as a listener, but it’d be helpful to already have some indication of what chapter you’re on in the book (especially for those who might be splitting their ‘reading’ between physical book reading and audiobook listening.)
Provide an option for purchasing individual titles for download.

Otherwise, I was very pleased with the app and will likely subscribe sometime in the future when I’m a bit further along.
6 x
Corrections are always welcome. :)

SC Arabic movies: 2504 / 9000
SC Arabic books: 511 / 5000

User avatar
NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:11 pm
Location: Banat, Serbia.
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.
x 323

Re: Team Middle East

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:If you don't manage to find the missing audio files I'd be willing to make a recording of the dialogues and courtesy expressions and then have it checked by a native speaker.

That is an awesome offer NIKOLIĆ! Thank you!

If you're happy to do so, I'm not going to say no. Perhaps you could offer them to The Yojik Website as well?

The recordings are done and I just got the OK from a native Saudi speaker. Do you want me to post them here or DM you?
Attachments
Screenshot_20190207-194534.png
Screenshot_20190207-194534.png (69.05 KiB) Viewed 359 times
2 x
How yes no.

User avatar
cjareck
Green Belt
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Poland
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589
x 724
Contact:

Re: Team Middle East

Postby cjareck » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:59 am

NIKOLIĆ wrote:The recordings are done, and I just got the OK from a native Saudi speaker. Do you want me to post them here or DM you?

If you post them here or on the yojik website, other people would also benefit from them.
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language
FSI Hebrew Basic Course
: 39 / 40

Avigdor Kahalani, עז 77 (Heigths of Courage)
: 16 / 200


DLI MSA Basic Course
: 11 / 140
Polish course Arabic for beginners
: 3 / 40

User avatar
Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am
Location: Grand Est, France
Languages: English (N) & French
beginner+: German, Moroccan Arabic
beginner-: MSA
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321
x 356

Re: Team Middle East

Postby Maiwenn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Hebrew and Arabic learners, https://www.shortstoryproject.com/ publishes short stories from Hebrew and Arabic-language authors (among others) with English translations. You get a few stories free before having to sign up for a subscription. The subscription seems to also offer audio versions, but that might only be in English.
2 x
Corrections are always welcome. :)

SC Arabic movies: 2504 / 9000
SC Arabic books: 511 / 5000

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2324
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784
x 4666

Re: Team Middle East

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 am

NIKOLIĆ wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:If you don't manage to find the missing audio files I'd be willing to make a recording of the dialogues and courtesy expressions and then have it checked by a native speaker.

That is an awesome offer NIKOLIĆ! Thank you!

If you're happy to do so, I'm not going to say no. Perhaps you could offer them to The Yojik Website as well?

The recordings are done and I just got the OK from a native Saudi speaker. Do you want me to post them here or DM you?


This is very impressive and such a kind gesture, NIKOLIĆ. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to get this done and have someone check it over as well.

In answer to your question, I’d certainly prefer that it was more of a public offering, so I’ll decline the PM and ask that you post it in this thread, that is what I’d prefer out of the two options.

However I’d like to suggest as others have, that the recordings be also offered to the The Yojik Website. Of course this is your personal work and were you to decline, for whatever reason, although I might deem that as unfortunate, I’d respect your decision.

Another thing you may like to consider, is that if you post the recordings here, that your recordings are likely to end up in the hands of many and perhaps it might be best to provide them to The Yojik Website before someone else does. Still, this is personal work, so if on second thought you’d rather keep this out of the public sphere, well who am I to judge?

I thank you again, NIKOLIĆ, for taking the time and effort to help out with the missing audio.

Kind regards,
PM
1 x

User avatar
NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:11 pm
Location: Banat, Serbia.
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.
x 323

Re: Team Middle East

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:This is very impressive and such a kind gesture, NIKOLIĆ. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to get this done and have someone check it over as well.

In answer to your question, I’d certainly prefer that it was more of a public offering, so I’ll decline the PM and ask that you post it in this thread, that is what I’d prefer out of the two options.

However I’d like to suggest as others have, that the recordings be also offered to the The Yojik Website. Of course this is your personal work and were you to decline, for whatever reason, although I might deem that as unfortunate, I’d respect your decision.

Another thing you may like to consider, is that if you post the recordings here, that your recordings are likely to end up in the hands of many and perhaps it might be best to provide them to The Yojik Website before someone else does. Still, this is personal work, so if on second thought you’d rather keep this out of the public sphere, well who am I to judge?

I thank you again, NIKOLIĆ, for taking the time and effort to help out with the missing audio.

Kind regards,
PM

You are most welcome.

Honestly, it took me like 10 minutes to record it, but the problem was, I totally forgot about it and when I finally did record it, my Saudi friend was very busy with school and work so it took him a couple of days till he could get around to checking them for me.

As far as offering them to the "The Yojik Website" goes, feel free to forward the recordings. The only problem is, I couldn't record the "pimsleur-like" script/drills whose recordings are provided in all the other lessons, because obviously, they're not written in the book.

DLI Saudi Recordings
4 x
How yes no.

Ghalib Al-Hakkak
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:35 pm
x 17

Re: Team Middle East

Postby Ghalib Al-Hakkak » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Hello. This may be useful to somebody here. Any remark is welcome.
阿拉伯语零基础教程
五十章节
http://www.al-hakkak.fr/PDF/arabe-en-50 ... hinois.pdf

Ghalib Al-Hakkak
1 x

sporedandroid
Orange Belt
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 am
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (pre-A1), Turkish (pre-A1, aiming for around A1)
x 139

Re: Team Middle East

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:33 am

Is there anything I can watch in Hebrew that will entertain me, but doesn’t require too much comprehension to enjoy? Like a lot of gesturing, context and funny voices. Like right now I’m watching this Kaveret skit. I can’t find any of their other skits on YouTube. Maybe I’ll have to make due with just listening to them.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSCJ5ccn85s[/youtube]
0 x


Return to “Study Groups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests