The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby kanewai » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 pm

And I'm out for German. I lasted 21 days.

I'd like to continue on with the language, but I know that I won't be able to commit to daily study for the next three weeks. I hope to pick up the books again sometime in February.

This will be the third year in a row that I've started studying German. The past two years I did it as an 'extra' language - I'd work it in when I had time. That was fine as an introduction, but I always reached a wall, a place where casual study was simply not effective. These past three weeks of daily, focused study were far more effective than a couple months of casual study. There's no surprise here; it's a good reminder for me of what it takes to learn a language, rather than just to flirt with it.

I'm still on for Spanish.
6 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:00 am

Just completed today's 30 minutes of German in the morning, so thought I would note it down. Except for the last couple of days, I've been doing it as the last thing before bed. So far no lost days but somedays I barely managed to do the minimum 30 min.
I had dabbled with German in the past , that is I had started several courses but never went beyond the first few lessons for one reason or another. However, it was not because the course material was bad, German was too tough or I didn’t like German anymore.
When I started this time, I tried several courses but finally I decided to stick with Assimil because it’s the most interesting one among g the lot. My focus is on reading, so I might add something else later when I have more time for German. At the moment I’m on lesson 12.
Morgen ist auch noch ein Tag! (Assimil, page 48 :-))
2 x

Godryka
White Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~C1/C2), Mandarin (~B1/B2), French (~B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9984

Postby Godryka » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:30 am

I'd like to sign up for French and Mandarin, starting January 31st. My last day will be January 30th, 2020. Took me a bit to decide whether I would be capable of making such a commitment, but seeing how well I've been doing so far in January, I think this challenge could be the push I need to continue learning at the same pace.
3 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Postby humerusthings » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:02 am

Hello! I'd like to sign up for generic (French + Korean) starting today 1st Feb :)
1 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:03 pm

I’ll try to clean up the first post of the scoring thread when i get a chance.

I’m on holiday now and so the forum is not a priority. Heaps of time then? When holidaying with 2 small energetic children, navigating a different place, keeping an eye on two kids, keeping them entertained.... i’ll say no more.

We did discuss other methods of calculating the scoring and i’m not the person for that job.

Scoring was also discussed and in the short time before the challenge commenced and i went with the best method i could in consultation with the few others who provided feedback at the time. Next year, it’ll be all open for discussion if someone (could be me, could be someone else) wants to create the challenge again with revised rules and scoring.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:56 am

humerusthings wrote:Hello! I'd like to sign up for generic (French + Korean) starting today 1st Feb :)

Hi humerusthings,

Your post has made me realise that there’s another adjustment to the rules required, which will be that the last day one can join up for a full 365 days of the challenge is no longer January 31st, but now February 1st, 2019.

The reasoning for this is that I wanted the final day of the challenge to be 31st Jan 2020 (otherwise it drags on interminably), and yet starting on January 31st 2019 allows for an end date of Jan 30th 2020, while Feb 1st 2019 beginning allows for the last day being Jan 31st 2020 - thus still within the limit.

Welcome to the challenge and good luck!
1 x

suko
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish - English - Korean

Postby suko » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:45 am

hello my old account was fjib, I had to switch accounts but i’ve still been studying everyday, would it be possible to change my name so that i can still participate?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:45 am

suko wrote:hello my old account was fjib, I had to switch accounts but i’ve still been studying everyday, would it be possible to change my name so that i can still participate?

PM me if you'd like to resurrect the old account.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:06 am

rdearman wrote:
suko wrote:hello my old account was fjib, I had to switch accounts but i’ve still been studying everyday, would it be possible to change my name so that i can still participate?

PM me if you'd like to resurrect the old account.

Is that code for ‘talk to me about conspiracies and start a firestorm' ? ;)
(rhetorical, naturally) :?

If so, you obviously appreciate it, and now see it as a method of enabling access to accounts. Could it be the new bitcoin? :lol:
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:38 am

RULE CHANGE/ADDITION:

Point 2 below is taken from the rules for reference with regards to the the additional point 3, where the changes lie.

2. Daily study must be completed not necessarily before midnight, but before your longer period of sleep except in special circumstances (see 3 below). Therefore you may have fallen asleep after midnight, realised you've not completed your study upon waking after a short period of sleep, then go ahead and complete it, say from 2am - 2.30, and then return to sleeping for a lengthy (longer) period. As long as the study is completed before your main block of sleep.

3. There is an exception to the above ‘before your main block of sleep rule’. That is, let’s say you studied Saturday afternoon, or even in the evening, didn’t go to sleep (or perhaps slept a very little amount) until early Sunday afternoon when you slept properly or for a lengthier period, but before your longer sleep you also studied at 10am on Sunday prior to that Sunday afternoon sleep, for example. To clarify. You studied Saturday afternoon/evening did not sleep (or very little overnight), studied again Sunday morning, slept Sunday afternoon. Thus there’s no main block of sleep between the two study sessions.

Such studying is not encouraged, but if you struggle with insomnia, poor sleep patterns, or need to arrange studying around night shifts for example (before you go to work Sat evening, post coming hope Sunday morning), this is perfectly understandable and acceptable. Be reasonable and fair with yourself and if unsure request some feedback.

However, if you’re watching a movie from 23.00hrs Saturday night and continue from 00.00hrs to 00.30hrs on Sunday morning, this is really pushing the rules and simply not accepted. Your study sessions should be distinctly apart from each other (by a number of hours preferably) if you cannot sleep between them, but they still must be on separate days, and you must have a fair reason for such study methods. In the end use your own judgement, or if unsure seek some feedback.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”