C1\C2 Courses List

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
DaraghM
White Belt

C1\C2 Courses List

Postby DaraghM » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:46 am

As the language levels in CEFR increase from A1 to C2, the number of courses starts to drop quite substantially. At the C levels, there tends to very few course available. I don’t think I’ve seen a C level course that blends a native language and a target language. Are there any? The courses I’ve seen are,

Spanish
Sueña 4
El Ventilador
En Accíon 4

French
Alter Ego 5
Tendances C1\C2
Édito C1

Russian
Пишем эссе (Pishem Esse)
Золотое перо (Zolotoe Pero)

Are there many others?
2 x

trui
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English
Good enough: Dutch
Not there yet: German
Just starting: French
We'll see?: Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 3&start=10

Re: C1\C2 Courses List

Postby trui » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 pm

Why would you be doing a C level course that involves your native language? Unless I misunderstood. Students should have everything in their target language by B1 at the latest, and some only ever use the student's target language from the start.
4 x
All comments and corrections welcome.

DaraghM
White Belt

Postby DaraghM » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:39 pm

Why would you be doing a C level course that involves your native language?

I completely agree, but there are courses such as the Assimil Using series that touch on B2. I was curious whether there was any aimed at the C level student. As an aside, I actually use target language courses at a much earlier level then B1. I'm currently using Studio 21 A1 for German, though my method isn't for everyone. These courses normally have much more up to date language then the standard bilingual off the shelf courses.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:19 pm

You have apparently mixed in monolingual resources but the conversation is going towards bilingual resources.

Золотое перо - what's this?
Поэтическая - социальная сеть Золотое перо?

For the FIGS you'll find plenty of monolingual resources. Bilingual resources may include college level grammar books, dictionaries, novels with glossed vocabulary, vocabulary builders and other common sense reference works. A textbook will have a limited amount of space for cultural notes etc and this is the kind of learning that's best done in the target language. You'll also find monolingual grammars written for foreigners. At B2-C2 you should be able to use most mainstream native reference works.

Copy/paste from Italian resources

Italian courses

NUOVO QUI ITALIA PIU'
Corso di lingua italiana per stranieri (LIVELLO INTERMEDIO B2-C1)

http://www.mondadorieducation.it/risors ... corsi.html

NUOVO Espresso è un corso di lingua italiana diviso in cinque livelli (da A1 a C1) in linea con le indicazioni del Quadro Comune Europeo per le Lingue.

New Italian Espresso

La nuova edizione di Italian Espresso, il primo corso di italiano "Made in Italy" indirizzato a studenti anglofoni....
NEW Italian Espresso beginner/PREintermediate - A1-A2

https://www.almaedizioni.it/it/catalogo ... DULTI/COR/

NUOVO Magari è un corso di lingua italiana per stranieri rivolto a studenti di livello intermedio e avanzato (dal B2 al C2 del Quadro Comune Europeo).

https://www.almaedizioni.it/it/catalogo ... gari-c1c2/

Viaggio nell'italiano
Corso di lingua e cultura italiana per stranieri

Livello: B1-C1

Nuovo Rete! A1-C1
http://www.guerraedizioni.com/books/ind ... 0,1,4,1327

Edilingua

http://www.edilingua.it/it-it/Default.aspx

Ibs Book store
https://www.ibs.it/

Franch , German and Russian resources are a couple of clicks away.
Last edited by reineke on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:23 pm

Students in a class for C2 don't necessarily add that much to their knowledge only by working through the frame of a textbook. Suitable authentic material or handouts made by the teacher can form the basis for in-class discussions (i.e. conversation practice) and homework, depending on the students' interests or inclination. There are usually more textbooks available for a class at C1 than C2, but still it's often less than what's available for lower levels.

For most languages other than a handful (I'm thinking especially of ones apart from FIGS), the difference in quantity between advanced and "non-advanced" textbooks isn't that big but that's a sign of there being relatively few textbooks available to foreign beginners in the first place.

GERMAN

- Aspekte 3 (C1 - workbook, CDs and DVD available also)
- Entscheidungen (Business German: C1, C2)
- Erkundungen (3 volumes: B2, C1, and C2)
- AusBlick 3 (C1 - workbook & CDs available also)
- em neu 2008 Abschlusskurs (C1 - workbook & CDs available also)
- Mittelpunkt neu C1 (workbook & CDs available also)
- Sicher! C1 (workbook, CDs and DVDs available also)
- Studio: Die Mittelstufe (3-level set with last volumes meant for C1 - workbook and CDs available as well as some free downloads for audio and transcript of the workbook)
- Ziel C1.1 & Ziel C1.2

HUNGARIAN

- Felsőfokon magyarul (according to this, it's meant for students at C1 who want to go to C2)
- Hungarolingua 3 (B2-C1+? - workbook and book of supplementary texts available also)

ITALIAN

- Nuovo Espresso 5 (C1) & Nuovo Espresso 6 (C2) (each book comes with a CD and link to videos on alma.tv)
- Nuovo Progetto Italiano 3 (B2-C1 - workbook and CDs available also)

POLISH

- Kiedyś wrócisz tu..., cz. II: By szukać swoich dróg i gwiazd (C1)

I do know of textbooks meant for advanced students of Polish who want to improve their ability in reading comprehension but these aren't conventional textbooks like "Kiedyś wrócisz tu...".

- Kto czyta - nie błądzi. Podręcznik do nauki języka polskiego. Ćwiczenia rozwijające sprawność czytania (B2, C1) (focuses on improving reading comprehension)
- Na łamach prasy, cz. I. Podręcznik do nauki języka polskiego. Ćwiczenia rozwijające sprawność czytania (C2) (focuses on improving reading comprehension with newspaper articles)
- Na łamach prasy, cz. II. Podręcznik do nauki języka polskiego. Ćwiczenia rozwijające sprawność czytania (C2) (focuses on improving reading comprehension with newspaper articles)
- Per aspera ad astra. Podręcznik do nauki języka polskiego. Ćwiczenia rozwijające sprawność czytania (C1) (focuses on improving reading comprehension)

TURKISH

- İstanbul - Yabancılar İçin Türkçe Ders Kitabı C1 & C1+ (usually sold as a package of textbook, workbook and CD)

Each of these titles is in the target language.
8 x

DaraghM
White Belt

Postby DaraghM » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am

reineke wrote:You have apparently mixed in monolingual resources but the conversation is going towards bilingual resources.

Золотое перо - what's this?

I just realised my phraseology implies I was listing bilingual courses. Thanks Reineke for clarifying it.

The course I was referring to is http://www.zlat.spb.ru/catalog5_2_32.html. However after re-reading the description, it looks like it might be a B2 level course, though it's listed under the TRKI fourth level certification.

Thanks Chung for highlighting the Polish and Hungarian resources. I did the first two levels of the Universitas courses, before using Prolog. I didn't realise they did a C1 level. I've Hungarolingua 3 sitting in a box somewhere. I thought it was a B1\B2 course. Interesting and now quite tempting.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:18 pm

A good thread, thanks.

trui wrote:Why would you be doing a C level course that involves your native language? Unless I misunderstood. Students should have everything in their target language by B1 at the latest, and some only ever use the student's target language from the start.

The list in the first post consists of monolingual coursebooks (at least in the languages I know).

However, there are also good quality bilingual courses for the advanced learners and they can be very helpful in some area of learning. It really depends. I am all for lots of monolingual resources, lots of native media, etc. But I think demonisation of all the bilingual sources for the advanced learners is not a helpful attitude.
Are we talking about full courses only, or also about similar resources like grammar workbooks, exam preparatory books, or books focusing on a specific skill too?

If we are talking only about the books(with audio) trying to be a full course:

French: Alter Ego, Edito, as was said. The French learners can profit from quite a lot of specific resources on the individual skills, but the publishers have really overslept a bit, as far as the "complete" courses go, and don't seem likely to catch up anytime soon.

Spanish: most that I know of have been mentioned, but there is also Metodo (published by Anaya), Tema a tema+Así se habla (Edelsa), and Prisma (which is probably the only one separating C1 and C2. The Spanish DELE thread includes a recent good review on the Prisma C2)

Italian: Reineke's list is very good, but there is also Progetto Italiano, Affresco Italiano, Nuovo Contatto
1 x

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:21 am

trui wrote:Why would you be doing a C level course that involves your native language?

For doing intensive translation work? :| :roll:
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:45 am

FyrsteSumarenINoreg wrote:
trui wrote:Why would you be doing a C level course that involves your native language?

For doing intensive translation work? :| :roll:

I've got a few high quality high level bilingual courses (all based in Czech). What do they try to do and to some extent succeed at:

-cover the advanced grammar and vocab, focusing more on the explanations than many monolingual courses. It should be noted that the high level bilingual courses naturally include less base language than the low level ones.
-focus on the typical problems of the Czech natives, and the sort of things you are likely to "not know you don't know". On the typical differences between the two languages, which may not have been considered crutial enough for the beginner books
-they include a lot of vocabulary. They teach it openly and include the wordlists for each unit, they don't expect you to extract it all yourself from a mix of stuff all over the chapter.
-give exercises that include translation, to help us develop precision and leave the comfort zone
-they try to combine both the modern communicative approach and the classical grammar based one. All the courses aimed for high level learners based in Czech that I have seen (there are not many, so it is not hard to get to know majority of them). They usually take some good points from the "communication oriented" approach but stay more grammar-translation based, which I find great and missing in other types of resources

-a fun fact about the seriousness of the courses: the best series I've seen includes one thicker A5 book for the levels A1-B1. And two books of the same size for the levels B1-C1/C2. Don't you find it weird that the monolingual series typically include one thin A4 per level, and the last book (if there is an advanced book) usually covers C1 AND C2? The hardest levels that take the most time get half the space each, compared to A1.

I think they can be very helpful in combination with the monolingual sources and lots of native input. They can be very good for one's grammar and vocabulary, for deepening one's knowledge, and also for exercises. The audio and reading pieces are usually good but of course not sufficient (which is true about the monolingual courses as well), and they tend to be a bit too easy, in my opinion. They are more like a canvas for presenting the advanced grammar,vocab,idioms than primarily a listening or reading training. They are really bad at stuff like teaching you various genres of writing or speaking. While they give you a lot of knowledge needed for the levels, they are absolutely unsuitable for exam preparation. That is not their purpose, so they are openly not trying to do this badly just to check it of the imaginary list of stuff belonging to a coursebook.
1 x

OCCASVS
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English, Polish (B2/C1), French (B2), Chinese (A2/B1), Japanese (A1)
Studying: Polish, Chinese, Japanese

Postby OCCASVS » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:24 pm

For Polish language, I have found the recommended literature for the Summer School of Polish Language at Opole University(2015).

C1
Burcher A., Janowska I., Przechodzka G., Zarzycka G. (2009), Celuję w C2. Zbiór
zadań do egzaminu certyfikatowego z języka polskiego jako obcego na poziomie C2,
Universitas: Kraków.
Cienkowska H. (2006), Polish without tears. Tabele gramatyczne, Wydawnictwa
Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego: Warszawa.
Cudak R., Tambor J. (2002) Kultura polska. Silva rerum, Wydawnictwo Naukowe
„Śląsk”: Katowice.
Czarnecka U., Gaszyńska M. (1990), Zrozumieć Polskę. Ćwiczenia w czytaniu dla
studentów zaawansowanych, Uniwersytet Jagielloński: Kraków.
Garncarek P. (2000), Czas na czasownik. Universitas: Kraków.
Garncarek P. (2009), Nie licz na liczebniki, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu
Warszawskiego: Warszawa.
Janowska I. (2010) Planowanie lekcji języka obcego. Podręcznik i poradnik dla
nauczycieli języków obcych, Universitas: Kraków.
Kita M. (1998), Wybieram gramatykę! Gramatyka języka polskiego w praktyce (dla
cudzoziemców zaawansowanych), t. 1 – 2, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Śląskiego:
Kita M., Skudrzykowa A. (2002), Człowiek i jego świat w tekstach, Wydawnictwo
Uniwersytetu Śląskiego: Katowice.
Klebanowska B. (1995), Synonimia składniowa. Ćwiczenia dla cudzoziemców,
Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego: Warszawa.
Kubiak B. (2009), Na łamach prasy cz. I i II, Universitas: Kraków.
Lipińska E. (2007) Lektury podręczne, Universitas: Kraków.
Lipińska E. (2004), Księżyc w butonierce. Ćwiczenia dla studentów zaawansowanych
doskonalące sprawność rozumienia ze słuchu, Universitas: Kraków.
Mędak S. (2001), Co z czym? Ćwiczenia składniowe dla grup zaawansownych,
Mędak S. (2004), Liczebnik też się liczy. Gramatyka liczebnika z ćwiczeniami,
Mosiołek-Kłosińska K. (1999), Formy i normy, czyli poprawna polszczyzna w
praktyce, Wydawnictwo Felberg: Warszawa.
Pięcińska A. (2006), Co raz do głowy wejdzie, już z niej nie wyleci, Universitas:
Kraków.
Przybylska R. (1992), Czas to pieniądz. Wyrażanie czasu w polskim zdaniu
pojedynczym. Uniwersytet Jagielloński: Kraków
Przybylska R. (2003), Wstęp do nauki o języku polskim. Podręcznik dla szkół
wyższych, Wydawnictwo Literackie: Kraków.
Pyzik J. (1999), Przygoda z gramatyką, Universitas: Kraków.
Pyzik J. (2002), Iść czy jechać, Universitas: Kraków.
Seretny A. (2007), Kto czyta – nie błądzi, Universitas: Kraków.
Seretny A. (2008), Per aspera ad astra, Universitas: Kraków.
Seretny A., Lipińska E. (2005), ABC metodyki nauczania języka polskiego jako
obcego, Universitas: Kraków.
Śliwiński W. (1991), To właśnie Polska. Podręcznik języka polskiego dla
humanistów. Kurs dla zaawansowanych, cz. I, Uniwersytet Jagielloński: Kraków.
Wójcikiewicz M. (1993), Piszę, więc jestem. Podręcznik kompozycji i redakcji

C2
Burcher A., Janowska I., Przechodzka G., Zarzycka G. (2009), Celuję w C2. Zbiór
zadań do egzaminu certyfikatowego z języka polskiego jako obcego na poziomie C2,
Cienkowska H. (2006), Polish without tears. Tabele gramatyczne, Wydawnictwa
Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego: Warszawa.
Cudak R., Tambor J. (2002) Kultura polska. Silva rerum, Wydawnictwo Naukowe
„Śląsk”: Katowice.
Czarnecka U., Gaszyńska M. (1990), Zrozumieć Polskę. Ćwiczenia w czytaniu dla
Czarnecka U., Gaszyńska M. (1992), Polubić Polskę. Ćwiczenia w czytaniu dla
Garncarek P. (2000), Czas na czasownik. Universitas: Kraków.
Garncarek P. (2009), Nie licz na liczebniki, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu
Warszawskiego: Warszawa.
Kita M. (1998), Wybieram gramatykę! Gramatyka języka polskiego w praktyce (dla
cudzoziemców zaawansowanych), t. 1 – 2, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Śląskiego:
Kita M., Skudrzykowa A. (2002), Człowiek i jego świat w tekstach, Wydawnictwo
Uniwersytetu Śląskiego: Katowice.
Klebanowska B. (1995), Synonimia składniowa. Ćwiczenia dla cudzoziemców,
Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego: Warszawa.
Kubiak B. (2009), Na łamach prasy cz. I i II, Universitas: Kraków.
Ligara B. (1990), Rendez-vous z kulturą polską. Podręcznik języka polskiego dla
humanistów, cz. II, Uniwersytet Jagielloński: Kraków.
Lipińska E. (2007) Lektury podręczne, Universitas: Kraków.
Lipińska E. (2004), Księżyc w butonierce. Ćwiczenia dla studentów zaawansowanych
doskonalące sprawność rozumienia ze słuchu, Universitas: Kraków.
Mędak S. (2001), Co z czym? Ćwiczenia składniowe dla grup zaawansownych,
Mędak S. (2004), Liczebnik też się liczy. Gramatyka liczebnika z ćwiczeniami,
Mosiołek-Kłosińska K. (1999), Formy i normy, czyli poprawna polszczyzna
w praktyce, Wydawnictwo Felberg: Warszawa.
Pięcińska A. (2006), Co raz do głowy wejdzie, już z niej nie wyleci, Universitas:
Kraków.
Przybylska R. (1992), Czas to pieniądz. Wyrażanie czasu w polskim zdaniu
pojedynczym. Uniwersytet Jagielloński: Kraków
Pyzik J. (1999), Przygoda z gramatyką, Universitas: Kraków.
Pyzik J. (2002), Iść czy jechać, Universitas: Kraków.
Seretny A. (2008), Per aspera ad astra, Universitas: Kraków.
Wójcikiewicz M. (1993), Piszę, więc jestem. Podręcznik kompozycji i redakcji
tekstów, Uniwersytet Jagielloński: Kraków.

I know this is a massive list, but I got the chance to take a look at many of the books listed here over the years, and they looked like solid learning materials for serious language learners.

I would be very curious to hear whether other advanced learners of Polish have used some textbooks in the list. Maybe Chung?
7 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”