Glossika Product Updates

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
tomG
Languages: French(N), English(C2), Russian(B1), German(A2), Turkish(A2), Mandarin-Taiwan(A2)

Re: Glossika Product Updates

Postby tomG » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 am

Hello Glossika users (and ex-users)

I've been in contact with Glossika to work on improving their product. I'm looking for any user of Glossika to gather feedback through short Skype meetings.

I want to hear how you use the app, what you like, what you love and what you think is missing.

People on this forum seem to know pretty well language tools and what they can expect, that's why your feedback is very valuable.

Just PM me if you're interested!
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, TomG. I notice that, as of this writing, you have made at total two posts, both inviting members to communicate with you via the Private Message section of the forum. My understanding is that, in order for the restrictions on your access to the PM section to be lifted, you must make a total of three posts acceptable to the moderators. ;)

As an entirely separate matter, I do not understand why suggestions on how to improve the Glossika line of products should be held confidential. My impression is that the owner of Glossika would welcome an open discussion. On the other hand, should your intention be to create a rival application, similar to Glossika but incorporating suggestions from experienced users, then in my opinion, it would be appropriate that you clearly say so. ;)

EDITED:
Expansion of the text.
7 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:05 am

Agree with Speakeasy. Have you read this entire thread? Plenty of us (former) Glossika users gave reasons in this thread why we stayed with or left Glossika after their program change.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 am

At an A2ish level of French, I found Old Glossika to be useful. I have never used it with its new subscription plan. I bought enough glossika to get me through this lifetime with all the languages I bought. I'm a fool sometimes.

I wish I could have bought Irish.

That's just my foolishness, of course.

Unless there is a big change with glossika, I'm done with it.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Flickserve
Orange Belt
Languages: *

Postby Flickserve » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:28 am

I held off from the new glossika but their Christmas deal was very reasonable and persuaded me to sign up for a year.

For me, I like it a lot. Especially the point of being able to change the source language to UK English. It just makes me feel a bit more comfortable in the learning process since I grew up in England.

I find it very easy to stop and restart in the middle of a session. I usually don't look at the text but it's there if I need it . I don't use IPA. That was a big problem with the PDF - it would take a long time to look up a word if you want to double check it.

After three weeks, I was curious about the effect if any. I booked an instant tutor on italki. I think it went relatively well. My expression was satisfactorily smooth and ideas were coming across OK. We didn't talk much on tone mistakes or grammar errors because of limited time and that was not the intention of the class.

The point of old versus new is not really a concern of mine. I have books that go through many editions so it is inevitable that change will occur with cost differences. My only concern was the old glossika didn't seem to help me that much although I fully subscribe to the principle. I wasn't consistent with it. So it was a bit of leap of faith to pay for the new one at the full price not really knowing the effectiveness. However, that goes for a lot of things in life.

I still have the old glossika files. They are good for when you are not connected to the Internet. I haven't used them much but probably they will be more effective training aid since I have more experience.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:49 pm

I was recently reminded of one of the things that annoyed me by the old Glossika: female and male voices. There are actual sentences in the Serbian Glossika that are past tense, but only spoken by a woman. With a language that has gendered past tense, it would have been nice to either mix it up, or offer a male and female voice for these sentences.

And I'm with @sfuqua: Once they moved to a subscription model, I was done with them. I also wish I'd bought more of the old courses before they went the way of the dinosaurs.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:25 pm

IronMike wrote:I was recently reminded of one of the things that annoyed me by the old Glossika: female and male voices. There are actual sentences in the Serbian Glossika that are past tense, but only spoken by a woman. With a language that has gendered past tense, it would have been nice to either mix it up, or offer a male and female voice for these sentences.

And I'm with @sfuqua: Once they moved to a subscription model, I was done with them. I also wish I'd bought more of the old courses before they went the way of the dinosaurs.

They were supposedly going to offer all the courses with both male and female speakers so you could choose, but generally speaking I find the development to be rather slow, at least when compared to what they said they'd planned to do. Remember that huge, long list of languages that they wanted to do in 2018? They didn't manage very many of them.
1 x

Daniel_Zar
White Belt
Languages: Friulian N, Italian N, English C2, Spanish C2, French C1, German B2, Czech B1.

Postby Daniel_Zar » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:09 am

sfuqua wrote: I bought enough glossika to get me through this lifetime with all the languages I bought.

Sfuqua do you still have the files?
0 x

Daniel_Zar
White Belt
Languages: Friulian N, Italian N, English C2, Spanish C2, French C1, German B2, Czech B1.

Postby Daniel_Zar » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:29 am

Hi I am interested in old Glossika courses. Greek, Estonian, Norwegian, Polish, and more.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:59 am

The one set fits all model doesn't work that well for all languages. I've found Glossika useful for Chinese languages (and other languages where i don't need to worry so much about gender). For grammar-heavy languages i'm not sure that it's as useful, but assuming you have a solid foundation in the language you can still pick up quite a bit. I think it's a nice model, i'd just love to see it customized a bit more per language.
3 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”