Maybe I need try more ways to learn English

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Dandelion
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),English(beginner)

Re: Maybe I need try more ways to learn English

Postby Dandelion » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:58 am

Batur wrote:Good job, Dandelion

Your hard work pays off! Your article is much better than before.

One issue I think you could pay attend to is,

Did i also mention that i'm very lucky? Yes, i do.

i chatted with them in English,

You should capitalise "I"

I see, thank you, batur! I still have to learn more, it's just starting. I need to keep it up. :D
0 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:52 am

You misquoted me in your response to my post. You were the author of those lines. Could you please fix that.
0 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:02 am

BalancingAct wrote:You misquoted me in your response to my post. You were the author of those lines. Could you please fix that.

:oops: Oh, sorry. Yes, i will fix that, because i'm not good at using some functions, so maybe i didn't notice it. I will soon find out and fix that.
0 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:04 am

Last week, I didn't do many works on English learning, and I also canceled the English lesson because of my work. These weeks, I often stay up late, because I had many things to do(such as work, review my professional books etc.), then my English learning plan didn't finish, so I went to bed until I finished it. When my friend visited me, she said that my face was covered with lines, and my face looked gaunt , and my eyes liked panda, oh my god, I was turning old fast, haha, yeah, maybe it's just a joke, but it's true. :roll:

In my daily life, I'm a girl of few words. Maybe it's one of reasons that I don't know how to express myself in English. I think that I was too eager to learn English well, so maybe something didn't go well. I need to arrange my time reasonably, and need to balance work and study, and just keep patiently practicing.

What's happy is that I talked with Rick, I was so excited. He encouraged me in English learning, and suggested me to add more people to learn English from them, of course, if they need, I'd like to help them with Mandarin. But I have no confidence, maybe I need enough courage to do this. :( I should keep patient with this. Besides, my friend also gave me some suggestions. I can set out from my hobbies, for example, I like painting, so I can learn painting on YouTube. I'm not aim at learning English, it's for hobbies. Another way of learning English, maybe it will has an different effect.

I subscribed the Expresso English podcast for a long time, but I didn't listen to it regularly. It about five minutes per lessons. Unintentionally, I listened some good lessons in Podcast. For example, According to is often used to talk about opinions or talk about something someone says, or an article. You can say"According to him/her/my friends". However, we shouldn't say "According to me. " , it does not sound natural, and a little bit wired. You can say "In my opinion/ from my point of view…and so on" to express your opinion. And some lessons are about how to distinguish some similar words, or phrase etc. I think it's very useful to me, because I often don't notice them. :oops:

Tomorrow I will go home, I have three days holiday, because of Ching Ming Festival. Do you know this Festival? :roll: Haha, I will have a good rest, but I won't relax my learning plan. I will keep it up. And if time is suitable, I'd like to have a lesson with my English teacher.

Have a good weekend, everybody! :D
2 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Sun May 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Updating (warming :!: It's a boring artical :oops: .)

I don't know how to start writing, it's a long time without writing. After finishing my exam, I find that I'm getting lazy, oh, I'm too indulgent with myself. Before this, I told myself that I should continue to practice English after finishing the exam, but one week later, I still didn't pick up my English. I didn't use my APP to practice speaking, and I didn't practice writing, except for learning from my tutor teacher. I delayed day by day, until now I have to write something, even though I don't know what to write, I think it's a good beginning.

It's depressed, I still can't express my thoughts, maybe I still timid. One time, I asked my tutor, I said that I felt frustrating in learning English, I still can't express my thoughts in activities which there were many people. My tutor didn't think so, her answer is a recognition to my progress, she said I had a progress in English, I merely didn't realize it. And she suggested that I need to practice writing, it's a good way to practice expression. Maybe I can't express out through speaking, but I can write down. when I write more and accumulate more, I would have confidence to express myself. Yep, my tutor is right, I couldn't agree any more. ;) of course, speaking, reading and listening shouldn't be fell. So I must pick up my English, and keep it up. :D

Haha, let me share you some photos which I took last weekend. I saw the sunrise by the sea on last Saturday morning. It was my first time to see it, I was very happy and excited, and I also picked up some shells and took them home. It's memorable.

853027999014851202.jpg

613877941071523208.jpg

452554160735150444.jpg

914831615339639680.jpg

376228956072291351.jpg

These are a part of photos I chose, :roll: I think these are the best photos I have taken, because the others are difficult to show up ( :oops: It's not well).

In the end, Have a good time! And the new week is coming, Have a good week ! Thanks for reading. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:27 am

2018 has already past, I log in this website, look my last one article, It's been almost half a year. I feel lost, I was much passionate before, howeve, I have half a year of stagnation. In 2018, too much thing have happened. Pressure of family, life and all kinds, I feel much hard in the second half of the year. Even so, I was happy, I did simple learning, remember new words and reading, what's more improtant is that I have the surport and the help of my friends. During this peried, I had many exchange lessons with Rick, it's very enjoyable. And also I had some classes with my tutor teacher, but not much, because she is busying. I'm very grateful all. I feel comforting that I didn't give up my passionate. Now it's a new year. I think everything would go well, I hope I would have a new start, I want to keep posting here.

Last Thursday, I attended the English activity as before. I gained a lot at this time. A new friend's sharing gave me a new awareness. The thoughts which I held before are very different from her, it's inverse. In my awareness, improvised thinking is good for improving my English. I think it can cultivate an ability to improvise. However, I couldn't output much thoughts every time. I just listening, and after finishing the activity, I didn't have a summary, and didn't make any notes.

The new friend told me about her experience, It's better to do some preparation before you attend the activity. Unless you are very knowledgeable and skilled in English, you could do improvisation. She suggested that you can write down your own thoughts and ideas, then speaking out in the activity. When you heard different thoughts or ideas which you are approved, you can add in your notes. Besides, you also can retell other's thoughts or ideas that you approved, using your own words. What's the most important is that to push yourself to speak more. You need to go out of your way to do this. In a word, what you listened or watched are all not yours, and what the other's said are also not yours. Only written is yours, outputing is yours.

I mentioned this before, I remember 50 English word everyday, actually there are 8 new words everyday in 50 words, and I read English article in my trivial time, because I think I'm really lack of Knowledge. But all the way, I coudn't figure out a doubt, why I couldn't output things? Is it input too small? I always ascribe that I'm lack of knowledge after every activities. Then I throw this doubt away, and did the practice as usual, and didn't think about the ways I used, and didn't make any adjustments. As for this, the new friend also gave some comments. Because I didn't absorb them, and transform them into my own knowledge, so I usually don't know how to use them. If I keep writing down the thoughts or ideas and transform them into my own things, I would find I improved fast. Yes, I'm very agree with her. At this time, I remember the ways that my tutor teacher told me. I'm too lazy to forgot. I will follow my tutor teacher's suggestion, trying my best to keep write diary, mabye only several sentences each day, I want to cultivate the habit of write dairy. I know I have many mistakes in writing, but I will try my best to reduce the mistakes.

Thanks for reading.
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 pm

你好老师。我可以纠正你的英语。

You can send me your English for corrections. :) Good to see you return to the forum!
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:48 pm

rdearman wrote:你好老师。我可以纠正你的英语。

You can send me your English for corrections. :) Good to see you return to the forum!

Oh, great, thank you, Rick. Yes, I came back. Grateful. :D
0 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt

Postby Dandelion » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:36 am

It's a long time without writing. I feel I'm a little rusty. When I want to write something, it's stuck. But to some extent, I think If I only could write one sentence is also good for me now. :|

Did I mention that I would write diaries? Yes, I did, but the shame is that I only wrote four diaries. It's totally not enough. But I'm trying to keep doing it and write more.

I also did as the new friend told me, did some preparation before I went to the activities. It's a pity that I failed. :cry: I was too nervous to speak out what I prepared. When I was nervous, my mind went blank. It's frustrate. "Maybe I need to try more, I just begin to do it, and I should be confident in myself." I comforted myself like this. I like a saying which I heard in a TV program several days ago: the last thing to lose is self-confidence for a person. That confidence will make you more magnanimous on the future road. Yep.

Recently I did nothing for learning English, except for doing simple reading on the subscription, taking apart in English activities and remembering vocabularies occasionally. The rest of my time is focus on my professional books. Because I have two exams in professional certificates.

One month ago, I was very lazy, I didn't want to review my professional books, I didn't want to do anything, I only wanted to play and watch animations or lied down and rest after getting off the work. Although I knew there wasn't much time left, I still didn't have a sense of urgency. Until two weeks ago, my bosom friend went to another city. Her former supervisor recommended her a job, the company is where her former supervisor is working in. It's in another province, and it's far away from me.

At that time, I was happy and sad. She could learn more from her supervisor, she could accumulate more experience, so I was happy for her. She won't accompany with me as before, and we couldn't have a meeting frequently. When I met some depressive things, without her by my side, so I was sad. But It's well, we could do video or phone calls, haha, :roll: maybe I just depended on her too much.

After that, In retrospect, I think I need to make an adjustment. We must be responsible for our choices, we shouldn't have regrets, so we must constantly endeavor. Making efforts to realize our expectation. In order to leave no regrets, I study hard than before. I learnt one hour per-day after finishing all daily things. But If I got off work very late, I won't learn at that day, because I need to keep enough energy for the second day. Of course I won't stop learning English. Even though my English is still not very well, but I love it. I will grasp every chance to practice it. Just having patience and time, accumulating little by little, practicing and practicing, you will gain the progress.

I don't know what will happen tomorrow, so I need to grasp the today, trying my best to reach my little goals. As a saying goes :"No matter what happened in the past, you have to believe that the best is yet to come."

In a word, thanks for reading.
5 x

Batman
White Belt
Languages: Ukrainian (native), Russian (native), English (intermediate), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby Batman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:52 pm

When I want to write something, it's stuck.

When I want to write something, I am stuck.

...write one sentence is also good for me now.

...write one sentence it is also good for me now.

Did I mention that I would write diaries?

You probably tried to say that in past tense, right? Should be something like "Did I mention that I was writing diaries?". But not sure, it's better to ask native English speakers how to write it more naturally. I would probably rephrase, but not sure how. I found also this topic when I was thinking about it: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... y.1551935/

Yes, I did, but the shame is that I only wrote four diaries.

Not sure what you mean here. You were writing in your diary only 4 times? Or that you finished 4 notebooks writing? I think you mean "only 4 times", but then maybe in your previous sentence "Did I mention that I would write diaries?" you wanted to say something like "Did I mention that I will write diaries?" or "Did I mention that I am planning to write diaries?". Actually, maybe even your "Did I mention that I would write diaries?" is correct... I am not of much help with English, actually :?

It's frustrate.

It's frustrating.

magnanimous

I think it's not a common word... I googled it to understand what it means - "generous or forgiving, especially towards a rival or less powerful person." Hm...

...taking apart in English activities...

"taking part"?

Because I have two exams in professional certificates.

"...for professional certificates"?

...I was very lazy...

You're not lazy. You are just tired.

...my bosom friend...

I just found out that "bosom" means "(of a friend) very close or intimate". I think it's a rarely used meaning, but I can be wrong. Ask native speakers. For me, "bosom" means "a woman's chest or breasts" mostly.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”