Brun Ugle の mehrsprachige bitácora (NO, ES, DE, JA) 2019 -- now with Polish!!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle の mehrsprachige bitácora (NO, ES, DE, JA) 2019

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:32 pm

It seems that even when I allow myself the flexibility of writing in whatever language I choose, I’m still not very good at updating my log. I probably need to pick a day and make sure to write every week on that day, otherwise I’ll just never get around to it.

I don’t generally feel like I’m making much progress, but I am at least getting in regular study again. If I’d been doing the 365 Challenge, I’d be doing OK. I’ve done 30 minutes or more of Spanish every day and there was only one day that I didn’t do at least that much in German and Japanese. I’ve pretty much ignored Norwegian though. Thanks to Expug, I got as far as digging out the grammar books I’d mentioned, but I haven’t actually looked at any of them.

I had an interesting experience in Norwegian Training on Wednesday though. It is a volunteer project sponsored by the Red Cross and our local library, intended to give foreigners a chance to practice Norwegian. Most of the people that come for help have been studying Norwegian for at least a few months, but on Wednesday a Turkish woman showed up who had started learning Norwegian on her own the day before. Her progress was amazing. She’d learned a good number of words and phrases and her pronunciation was really good. Of course, I’m sure many of you, with all your experience, could manage to do that too, but many of those I meet take ages to learn that much. A little while later, one of the regulars sat down at our table and I don’t know how many years he’s been here, but his pronunciation is terrible and I doubt that his level is more than A2. Of course, our latest influx of refugees (from Turkey) are mostly highly educated people who know how to study. That helps a lot.

There was something I’d meant to mention in my first post and forgot about. I’ve started keeping language journals. I’ve been doing it since October. I got the idea from the Fluent Language blog. (I didn’t actually listen to the podcast, I mostly just looked at the pictures.) I find writing things down to be helpful to me, so I decided to try it. I keep a different notebook for each language and each day I write the date and what I did. If I study grammar, I make notes in the journal using different colours. It’s surprisingly helpful. Even though many times, I’m not doing much more than copying something from a book, maybe moving things around a little, maybe not, and using different colours, it still seems to stick better than if I just read it. Of course, it takes a lot more time, but it seems to be worth it. It’s certainly given me some insights on German adjectives. It also makes it easier to figure out what I’ve been doing lately when it comes time to write my log.

Español
Por fin terminé de leer el libro de la historia de España. El tema me interesa, pero no encontré el libro muy interesante. El autor intentó comprimir toda la historia de España desde la Edad de Piedra hasta el presente en solo 300 páginas o, mejor dicho, 225 páginas si descuentas las ilustraciones. Con tanta compresión, lo que queda es nada más que una larga serie de reyes y guerras.

Sigo viendo “Cuéntame cómo pasó” que es una serie magnífica, pero ya no veo un episodio cada día porque trato de ver más en alemán y en japonés y no tengo tiempo para ver tanto la televisión. Además, quiero leer más y estudiar más y aun hacer cosas no relacionadas con los idiomas. Y a veces tengo que dormir.

Casi me arrepiento de haberme apuntado a hacer el completo reto de producción. Tal vez hubiera sido mejor hacer solo la mitad como hago en alemán. Había planteado hacer algunas grabaciones largas y escribir mucho los primeros días para estar adelantada, pero me enfermé y me quedé atrasada. He tenido que esforzarme un poco para ponerme al día. Es difícil encontrar algo de que hablar y escribir todos los días.

Antes de empecer el libro, solía leer un artículo en El País todos los días, pero lo dejé para tener tiempo para leer el libro. Ahora, como he terminado el libro, voy a leer artículos otra vez. No quiero leer demasiados libros a la vez, pero puedo leer un libro en un idioma, o español o alemán, y artículos en el otro. Bueno, no estoy segura de que pueda leer el periódico en alemán, pero a lo mejor encuentro algo más fácil.

Deutsch
Bisher dieses Jahr habe ich jeden Tag gelernt und nur einen Tag habe ich weniger als 30 Minuten gelernt. Ich gehe sehr langsam mein Grammatikbuch und FSI durch. Ich habe endlich auch meine versäumten Aufnahmen und Schreiben für die Herausforderung aufgeholt. Ich hatte vergessen, wie erschöpfend es ist so viel zu sprechen und zu schreiben.

Ich habe auch eine neue TV-Serie begonnen. Es heißt „Rentnercops“. Es ist wie „Grumpy Old Men“ aber mit weiteren Leichen. Ich habe auch das spanische Buch fertiggelesen und das bedeutet, dass ich jetzt ein Buch auf Deutsch lesen kann. Ich versuche nicht zu viele Bücher gleichzeitig zu lesen und begrenze mich zu jeder Zeit zu zwei Bücher, ein auf einer „leichten“ Sprache (Englisch oder Norwegisch) und ein auf einer „etwas schwierigen“ Sprache (Spanisch oder Deutsch). Ich meine es ist, besonders am Anfang, besser viele Bücher zu lesen als „gute“ Bücher zu lesen, und dass es wichtig ist, dass es beim Lesung Spaß macht. Deshalb habe mich als mein nächstes Buch ein Star Trek E-Buch gekauft.

Japanese
I’m still slowly poking away at the Anki Core deck and RTK. I’ve also been watching the anime “Polar Bear Café” almost every day. I somehow forgot to tweet it to the Super Challenge bot for several days in a row though, so it looks like I binged a bunch of episodes. It’s really a fantastic cartoon. I love it. The characters are endearing and it’s got this weird juxtaposition of fantasy and reality that fascinates me. There are both human and animal characters and the animals live very human-like lives, like in many cartoons (going to the café, driving, living in houses, working, taking the subway), but at the same time, there is a sort of acknowledgement that they are animals. Several of them work at the zoo where they act like real animals, except that they talk to the zookeeper who tells them things like a school group is coming and to make sure to give them good service. And people go to see them at the zoo even though they can see all these animals walking around living their normal lives. The animals, and everything, are also very beautifully and very expressively drawn. It’s really superb. There is a lot of easy language that I can follow, but also some bits that are too fast for me. I’ve been watching with English subtitles because I don’t think I can turn them off, but I might try to watch it again later with the subtitles covered, or without subtitles if I can find out how to watch it without them.
8 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:53 am

I've watched a few episodes of Polar Bear Café too, on crunchyroll.com--I think I got the idea from one of your earlier posts where you mentioned it. If that's where you're viewing it as well, you can turn off the subtitles by clicking on the Gear icon at the right hand bottom of the screen, next to the Fullscreen (arrows) icon.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 am

Cèid Donn wrote:I've watched a few episodes of Polar Bear Café too, on crunchyroll.com--I think I got the idea from one of your earlier posts where you mentioned it. If that's where you're viewing it as well, you can turn off the subtitles by clicking on the Gear icon at the right hand bottom of the screen, next to the Fullscreen (arrows) icon.

Thanks! I’ll look into that.

To give credit where credit is due, it was probably Devilyoudon’t that you got it from, because that’s where I got it from.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:39 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:That’s a great idea, except that target languages have to be B1 or below, so you don’t qualify. You can track all your languages though. Maybe we could pick different target languages (me - Japanese, you - Hebrew?) and still try to beat each other’s German scores?

You think your German is B1? I think at the least you're really at the tip top upper limit of B1.
Ok, let's do the different target languages and try to keep up/beat each others both (target + German).

I had my first ever language exchange with a native speaker of German today and realized you might have a point. But when did I learn to speak German? And how did I do it without noticing?
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:00 pm

It seems that allowing myself to write in English hasn’t motivated me to write any more often than last year. Maybe I just have to start putting a note in my calendar to write every week. That seems to be helping for some of the other habits I’ve been trying to develop.

I haven’t had a great start to the 6WC because I’ve been sick again. I seem to have some sort of never-ending virus that affects my head and my stomach and there were a few days when I was barely even awake. On the other days, I have studied a bit, but not a lot. Of course, if I weren’t sick, I’d go to the gym most days and go for walks and do a bunch of other things, so I probably wouldn’t get any more studying done in any case. I might be a little less antsy though.

I’ve recently experienced one of those sudden jumps that are such a joy in language-learning. Just these past couple of weeks, I’ve suddenly found both Spanish and German so much easier to speak and write. It’s also gotten much easier to switch between them. My spoken German is still very ungrammatical, but it’s gotten much better and it’s definitely much more fluent. I’m not sure why because I haven’t been studying more than usual, rather less, I’d say, and yet, I’ve experienced a sudden improvement. I think my brain sometimes just needs time to assimilate everything and this past week all the marbles just suddenly rolled into the right holes. Whatever happened, it feels great.

I’m way behind on the Output Challenge and I find it kind of stressful, so I decided to reduce it to a half challenge in both languages (German and Spanish). I’ve been thinking a bit about why I find it so stressful to be behind in the Output Challenge and don’t find it stressful being behind in the Super Challenge and have come to the conclusion that it’s because the SC has a Twitter bot and the OC doesn’t. Since there is no bot for the OC, I end up using things like the progress bars and the Strides app, which shows me how much I need to do each day and how far behind I am. With the SC, it does kind of show you how far behind you are, but my main focus is on the lists of shows I’ve watched and books I’ve read. Maybe if I saw the OC as a list of all the things I’ve written and all the recordings I’ve made rather than as a goal that I have to struggle to reach, it would be easier. I don’t know, my mind is just weird about what it finds stressful and what it doesn’t.

Another problem I have with the OC is all the recording. I think I must do something strange with my voice when I make recordings in Spanish because I get tired instantly. My voice has always been weak and tires easily, but it seems to be even worse when doing recordings and worse when doing recordings in Spanish than in German. I can’t figure out what I’m doing with my voice though that’s different. And I don’t notice the problem when I’m talking to somebody. Of course, then I’m not doing all the talking so I usually get plenty of breaks, but even so, I can have a long conversation without getting tired. I also do other things like reading out loud, shadowing, Glossika, FSI and other exercises where I’m using my voice a lot and I don’t find I get strained from it, though then I don’t have to speak loud enough for a microphone to pick it up.
7 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 am

I have this problem with speaking too. Speaking French always makes me feel phlegmy after a while. And I can't read aloud in English for very long, because my throat starts to hurt. Yet I can talk for ages and ages about nothing at all. I can read aloud short passages in Swedish without too much problem.

I think the main takeaway from this is: Don't learn French. Makes your throat phlegmy and no one wants that.

(Apart from Rick. For some reason.)
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Elenia wrote:I think the main takeaway from this is: Don't learn French. Makes your throat phlegmy and no one wants that.

A universal truth. :lol:
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Elenia wrote:I think the main takeaway from this is: Don't learn French. Makes your throat phlegmy and no one wants that.

Ewww! Why do people think French is so romantic?! There's nothing romantic about phlegm.

In Norwegian there are a wide variety of ways to pronounce the r and in some areas they have a uvular r. Some places have a fairly soft uvular r like French, and that is okay, but there are some areas that have a really juicy one. You can hear the spit and phlegm gurgling in their throats and it's just yucky. It makes my ears itch. I just want to yell, "Please swallow before you talk to me!"

------------------------------------------------------------

I finished the first 1000 cards of my 6000 card Anki deck for Japanese. I might take a couple of days with just reviews before I start seeing new cards again, but I might not as my review piles for the next few days don't look as big as I'd feared.

I've also finished rewatching the Polar Bear Cafe episodes that I'd seen before, this time intensively with both Japanese and English subs and a dictionary. Now I'm watching new episodes I haven't seen before. First I watch the episode straight through with no subs, then I watch it intensively with Japanese and English subs and a dictionary. I've done two episodes in this manner so far. The first one, I was surprised by how much I understood on the first listen. I got so excited thinking my Japanese was finally getting somewhere. Then on the second one, I only understood a few bits here and there. :(

Yesterday was a bad day all around for languages. My new-found fluency in German and Spanish suddenly disappeared again. I know it's part of the prosess and that one doesn't just become fluent one day and remain so forever after, but I'm hoping to have more days like last Friday and Saturday when I could speak comfortably and fewer days like yesterday when I suddenly forgot two entire languages.

Maybe I was just stressed yesterday. I had to apply to renew my permanent residence permit. Even though it's permanent, you still have to renew every two years. The process used to be easy -- just show up at the police station and they put a sticker in your passport. But it's gradually gotten more and more complicated. Now you have to fill out a form online and book an appointment at the police station, and you always have to wait at least a month for an appointment unlike before when you could just show up. This year, they added a new thing to the process. I had to fill out every trip I've taken outside of the country for the last four years. I couldn't remember all that! Fortunately, I keep all my receipts and everything for ten years, so I was able to go through all my papers and find the exact dates. Then when I'd finished filling it all in and pressed send, the whole thing disappeared! I hadn't written any of it down elsewhere; I'd just filled it in online. So, I had to start again. This time I wrote it down on a piece of paper as well, which I will keep just in case I need it again. They also have a weird way of calculating how many days you were out of the country. You have to list each trip to each country separately. So, when I've travelled to the Polyglot Gathering and spent a few days in other countries on the way there and the way back, it meant I had to fill a lot of separate entries. And according to their counting system, the day of arrival and day of departure both count as full days. So, in 2017, when I flew to Austria, spent one night there, then went to Slovakia for the Gathering and then spent one night in Hungary and one night in Austria afterward, it comes out to 13 days by their counting system even though it's only 10 days on the calendar. It reminds me of the papers the US tax office makes me fill out on my bank accounts. They always want to know the maximum amount in each account at any time during the year, even if the money was only there for a day as I moved it between accounts. If you move your money around a bit, suddenly you look like a millionaire even though it's the same money just moved to different accounts. Bureaucracy! :x
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:37 am

There are now only a few days left of the 6WC and I’ve been looking forward to the end since about week two. I’ve realized that the 6WC might not be a good fit for me. It changes my study patterns, and not for the better. It is also an added stress element and I don’t tackle stress very well. I was actually doing very well and had a good study routine going before the 6WC started, but a week or so into the challenge, it started to fall apart. One of the problems is that there are things I’d like to do, but they are kind of hard to count, so I end up putting them off until the end of the challenge, but that means I’m not doing the things that would be best for me to do at the time it would be best for me to do them. For example, with the changes to Memrise, I’ve decided that I want to use Anki for Spanish instead. However, that means playing around with Anki a lot to figure out exactly how I want the layout my cards to be. And that doesn’t feel like real study time, because I’d be studying Anki, not Spanish, so I end up waiting to do it. Also, I think the tracking itself wears me out a bit and that going on Twitter to register my times is not good. I’ve figured out that maybe doing it the next day is a bit better because it at least means I won’t get distracted by Twitter at night and also won’t have to look at a screen too late at night, but I like to do a bunch of other things in the morning and don’t really want to have to spend time tweeting then either. The annoyance of tweeting also means I tend to choose activities that have a longer duration in order to have fewer tweets. So, the conclusion is that I should stop participating in the 6WC, at least in the first half of the year when I’m a bit more stressed and low-energy to begin with, but the best would probably be to stop altogether. Anyway, now I have Zenmonkey as my study buddy so I don’t really need the challenge to provide me with that sense of friendly competition. And if I do want to do a challenge, the new one Ser is planning looks like it might be more suitable to me. At least it’s shorter.

My speaking abilities have gone way downhill lately. I easily lose the ability to communicate and it seems to be getting worse as I get older. Any time I’m stressed, tired or sick, even just a little bit, my ability to speak a foreign language just tanks, and if I’m very stressed, tired or sick, I can even forget my native language. My problem is that I’m often exhausted these past few years and I can’t figure out how to change that. I started to feel the signs of impending mania a couple of weeks ago, and although I managed to avoid developing even hypomania, the pre-hypomania feeling of having enough energy to get through the day was fantastic. I’d love to have that much energy every day, but without the dangers of approaching mania. I’m trying to figure out if changing my diet would help, but that’s so difficult. Apparently, people with autism are often sensitive to various foods, but to figure out which ones you have to cut out all of them and slowly add them back in. But there are so many foods one can be sensitive to that if you cut them all out, there isn’t much left. And you really need to have a bit of energy to be able to do that. Or a personal chef.

Another thing that would help my speaking, is of course, working more on my speaking abilities. The combination of being often tired and avoiding shorter activities that would require more tweeting, has led me to give up on making recordings and writing in my target languages, but if I had more practice and was better at speaking in general, I wouldn’t get quite so bad when I’m tired. My Norwegian goes downhill when I’m tired, but I’m still usually fairly coherent and the same with my English.

My speaking was getting pretty good up until the last couple of weeks, so I think it’s just tiredness and a lack of practice. And my speaking in both Spanish and German is definitely a world away from where it was a year ago. So, the solution is obvious – more practice and do everything I can to improve my energy level.

In general, my studies have been going OK. I just think they would be better and more balanced without the 6WC. Still, my reading in both German and Spanish is getting much better. And I’m starting to be able to read aloud in Spanish. It’s strange since my Spanish level is higher than my German and I speak Spanish better than German, but I always found I could read aloud much more fluently in German than in Spanish. Spanish words just have too many syllables or something. But all the practice lately has helped. My German listening is also improving, but it’s still very up and down. And Japanese is slowly simmering away on the back burner. Somehow my brain doesn’t do well with kanji when I’m tired, so I’ve put that aside for a while, but my Anki cards are going well. I’m now a quarter of the way through the deck. I’ve calculated that even if I take two months free from doing new cards, I should still make it through the deck by the end of the year. So, I think a week or so before the Gathering, I will stop doing new cards and just do reviews so that if I don’t get time to do reviews doing the Gathering, (which I probably won’t), I won’t come home to a mountain of due cards.

For some reason, the site where I was watching Polar Bear’s Café with both English and Japanese subs, won’t play the videos for me anymore. I tried on both my iPad and my computer. It plays other videos, but not those ones. So now I’m back to the other site and just English subs.

I’ve gotten rather fond of the show Rentnercops. It’s silly, light and fun, so just right for my brain-dead moments. The ARD app put the first two season up again for a while, so I was able to watch from the beginning, but then I had to skip the third season which wasn’t available. Fortunately, I didn’t miss too much. A season only has eight episodes and the characters themselves don’t change a lot anyway.

Cuéntame is also a lot of fun. I’ve just finished season 7 I think (of 19 :o ). It’s an excellent show for learning colloquial language too. I’ve learned all kinds of great expressions like “pagar el pato”, “como todo hijo de vecino”, “el burro hablando de orejas”, etc.
I’m also using Glossika a lot. The new Glossika has really grown on me. I just wish they would hurry up with some of the things they’ve promised. Remember that long list of languages they were planning/hoping to do in 2018? There were hundreds of languages on the list, but they only released maybe half a dozen. They were also supposed to make it so you could choose the speakers’ gender. In some languages, it doesn’t matter, but in other’s there is a big difference. I was looking at Hebrew because I was considering joining Zenmonkey in studying it, but it seems to have a male speaker, so I think that might be difficult for me. Mexican Spanish had a male speaker, but my Spanish was advanced enough and the differences are small enough that it wasn’t so bad, but even then, a female speaker would have been better for me. When I have to make the conscious change of gender, even though it’s only one vowel sound, it affects my ability to absorb and assimilate the material into my subconscious. Still, I’m found of Glossika and I find it great to use while cleaning and doing other mindless activities. The physical activity helps me to focus better and Glossika distracts me from the unpleasantness of cleaning. So, at least it makes my house cleaner than it probably otherwise would be. And I feel like it helps me absorb the sentence patterns too.
9 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:21 pm

I’ve definitely noticed I feel more Autistic as I get older. More sensory sensitivity, more fatigue with communication... I don’t have any answers, but I think it helps to add more structure to my day. Even more routine! Lessens the cognitive load and let’s me focus a bit more on the things that matter to me. And you know, focusing on the usual self care: Sleep, vitamins, hydration, mild exercise... The hardest part is just accepting that I’m not high energy, and just trying to make the most of it.
3 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Return to “Language logs”