Johanna's Multilingual Journal [AR, EL, FR, HR, IT, RU]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Re: Johanna's Multilingual Journal [AR, EL, FR, HR, IT, RU]

Postby JohannaNYC » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:56 pm

IT: La gente mi fa ridere con i suoi propositi per l'anno nuovo. La settimana scorsa la palestra dove lavoro sabato mattina era affollatissima, ma oggi era quasi vuota. Voglio aggiungere che questa non è una palestra normale, è una palestra residenziale, tutti i membri abitano là solo devono prendere l'ascensore e ecco ci sono.
4 x
Corrections welcomed!

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt

Postby JohannaNYC » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:44 am

Mi sento veramente fortunata che al mio ragazzo le piace guardare L'amica Geniale. Così posso passare del tempo con lui e allo stesso tempo faccio il Super Challenge.
0 x
Corrections welcomed!

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt

Postby JohannaNYC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:19 pm

**VENTING AHEAD**

I just realized I didn't study or speak any Croatian or French yesterday, which are the languages I'm using for the 365 Day Challenge. That realization left me feeling drained. I'm having trouble finding a balance between languages and my BF. Sure he loves watching My Brilliant Friend and he's very supportive of the idea of me speaking and learning lots of languages, but outside of work he expects to be my #1 priority, especially on the weekends.

More than a BF/languages issue, I think I have boundary issues. Either way it was easier to study lots of languages when I was single. Not that I would trade him for languages, I'm just feeling overwhelmed.
4 x
Corrections welcomed!

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:39 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard to balance relationship responsibilities (to your partner or otherwise) and everything else. Do you live together?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt

Postby JohannaNYC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:04 pm

MamaPata wrote:I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard to balance relationship responsibilities (to your partner or otherwise) and everything else. Do you live together?

No, it would be easier if we lived together that way I wouldn't feel like I have to pay attention to him whenever he's over. This looks horrible in writing, it sounded way better in my head lol!

I'm goal-oriented so it's always a struggle to balance relationships (not just romantic) with my goals. When my mom stayed over for 2 weeks over the holidays I went to work early and stayed late so I could sneak in extra study time.
3 x
Corrections welcomed!

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Johanna, I had the same issue decades ago while attending DLI for the Russian Basic Course. A woman I was dating at the time wanted to come by my barracks room weeknights, and I had to tell her no. We saw each other on weekends and of course when passing each other in the building, but I needed way more evening study time than she did. I was a few months ahead of her so we couldn't even study the same things or have the same homework. I know exactly where you're coming from!
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt

Postby JohannaNYC » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:06 pm

I know I haven't written since January, but I don't want to summarize everything I've been doing since then. If it's relevant I'm sure it'll come up later.

I'm doing this free French course that's supposed to get me from B1 to B2 https://www.coursera.org/learn/etudier-en-france

It's really good I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, it's a little bit too good lol! It's a 6-week course, and I'm only in week 2 even though I started it over the summer. There's a writing assignment at the end of each week and I kinda go into a panic when it comes to writing it even though I had to do many writing assignments when I took a French class at my school (university) last Spring.

I don't know what I was thinking when I said I wanted to take the B2 test for French and/or the Italian C1. Writing is part of those tests! I even bought the practice books when I was in Montreal for LangFest.

Hopefully one day I'll get over my fear of writing in a language other than English. I'm afraid to write even in Spanish which is my native language (like my real native language not just heritage, I went to school in the Dominican Republic 1st-7th grade).

That was my procrastination post to avoid doing the French writing assignment. Now time is up for French and I have to do Pimsleur Russian II.
4 x
Corrections welcomed!

Return to “Language logs”