Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: 2019 Polish: Jeśli istnieje wola wtedy istnieje sposób.

Postby StringerBell » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm

cjareck wrote:parsknąć - originally it is the thing that horses do with their nose. That also has a historical background (sorry, this is stronger than me ;) ) - since in Poland there were a lot of noblemen, they were all using horses massively and probably that is why the word came into the use.

That will make parsknąć much easier to remember!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Today I went back and read through most of the stories in Nowe Przygody Mikołaja that I'd already read intensively. What a difference! The second time around I could read through them very easily so I enjoyed them much more. These are stories for children that seem to be written in a way to entertain adults.

Questions:

1) What is kurczę blade? The definitions I was getting didn't make much sense so I think I'm missing something.

No i Ananiasz, który jest pupilkiem, nie byłby już najlepszy z całej klasy, dostałby za swoje i przestałby nas tak okropnie wkurzać, no bo co w końcu, kurczę blade.

2) Am I right to assume that dawać w nos is a punch in the nose?
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:00 pm

StringerBell wrote:1) What is kurczę blade? The definitions I was getting didn't make much sense so I think I'm missing something.

The easiest answer would be "a swearword for children" ;)
StringerBell wrote:2) Am I right to assume that dawać w nos is a punch in the nose?

You have right.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 pm

cjareck wrote:You have right.

You did that a couple of times.

masz rację - you're right
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:11 pm

reineke wrote:You did that a couple of times.
masz rację - you're right

Thanks! I just translated the corresponding Polish phrase literally, what was a beginner's mistake. I will try to remember the correct expression!
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:35 pm

I was racking my brain to think of some "easier" extensive Polish activities when I got the idea to try my novel with audiobook again. This is something I originally tried to R-L to many months ago but it was way too difficult for me, so I started to make a parallel text in a Word Doc, but that ended up taking way too much time. I was really focused on trying to understand every word and it burned me out a little.

Since I have the novel in the original English, I realized that I already have a parallel text, there's no need to re-invent the wheel. So, I read a page or two in English quickly, then L-R in Polish to that same section. In this way I was able to get through a chapter pretty quickly and with very good comprehension. I definitely lost some words here and there, but having just read the section in English, I knew exactly what was happening so missing those words didn't affect my understanding at all.

Interestingly, when I first started trying to L-R this novel many months ago, I remember thinking that the audio was SO FAST that I couldn't keep up with it. It seemed like the woman reading the narration was on speed or something. This time, it didn't seem fast at all, it felt totally normal. I also recognized a lot of words from other sources that I'm working with.

So, I think I found my way to alternate intensive and extensive activities! :P

I decided that for now, I'm going to work intensively with the children's stories that I'm reading, and extensively with the novels+audiobooks.

I'm going to try to keep working intensively with each episode of Ultraviolet, then rewatch the episodes periodically. When I'm done with the season, I'll try watching some of the Polish TV shows that stream without subtitles to see if it's any easy to follow them.
5 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 pm

So far, here are the books/audiobooks I've gathered. I just bought the Polish translation of a Goosebumps book because I found it on Empik for $3.50. This series didn't exist when I was a kid so I never read it.

For children:
Dzieci z Bullerbyn (ebook + audiobook) IN PROGRESS
Nowe Przygody Mikołaja (physical book) IN PROGRESS
Akademia Pana Kleksa (physical book)
Tomek u rodel Amazoniki - Szklarski (physical book)
Wakacje z Duchami - Bahdaj (physical book)
Upiorna lalka Slappy - Goosebumps - (ebook)

For adults:
Jak Uczyć Się Jezyków (ebook) FINISHED
Szklany Zamek (ebook + audiobook) IN PROGRESS
Dolores Claiborne (physical book + audiobook)
Jednym Strzałem - Jack Reacher (ebook + audiobook)
Robinson Crusoe (ebook), possibly can find audiobook for free.

I look forward to reading books written originally in Polish when my skills improve, but for now I need to stick with translations so I can refer the English version as a kind of parallel text.

Good news! I finally finished episode 1 of Ultraviolet. I was in such a good flow that I went right on to episode 2, and managed to get through much more than I'd planned. I'm coming across lots of useful and contemporary vocabulary like:
zhakować = to hack
to łatwizna = it's easy/it's a piece of cake
ogarnąć = to figure out/ to handle, as in:

Ola: Więc jeśli tego nie ogarniemy, no to będzie słabo. (So if we can't figure this out, it'll be really weak/lame.)
Piast: Ogarniemy to. (We'll figure it out/get it done)

Question:

A character says "nie to nie". From the context, this should mean something like "never mind". Is this how you'd say "never mind" or "forget it" in Polish? Are there other ways to express this idea, or is this the best way to say it?
Last edited by StringerBell on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:44 pm

What concerns "Wakacje z Duchami" there is also a movie based on the novel:
https://www.cda.pl/video/25342158
or even TV series:
https://gloria.tv/video/nXp3TEYGUKxM3A3GpB9nmFqyA
StringerBell wrote:Question:
A character says "nie to nie". From the context, this should mean something like "never mind". Is this how you'd say "never mind" or "forget it" in Polish? Are there other ways to express this idea, or is this the best way to say it?

It is stronger than "never mind". It is something like "if you do not want to accept my proposal/do what I want, then never mind". So it contains a bit of being resentful.
2 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 am

Yes...the rumors are true...I've gone over to the dark side:
Polish_Italian_Books.jpg

The Polish one arrived today and I have to admit that I was really looking forward to using it. I've gone through the first chapter, and it's pretty good so far. It’s not for absolute beginners, but still starts out slowly. There were sample emails to read back and forth btw two friends discussing an upcoming trip. Some verbs were introduced (all of which I already knew). Then, I was instructed to practice writing an email to a "friend" about a fictional trip I'm planning to take, using the sample emails as a reference, I assume. I was supposed to incorporate a list of verbs that had been introduced in the chapter. It was good to practice creating sentences, something I don't do much. It was kind of nice to be able to read through everything in the first chapter and feel like the language was familiar and and the activities were doable.

The Italian one arrived two days ago. Yes...I'm sort of back to Italian. More on this in a minute. I did all the exercises in the first part of the first chapter, which was pluralizing masculine and feminine words. The thing is that if I can think about it and can see the word printed, then I can come up with the right answer. I just can't do this consistently when I'm speaking. So I'm unclear how much these exercises will contribute to an improvement. I'm skeptical, but I'd like to at least give this a fair chance so I'll try not to be too skeptical. I decided that I'm going to just work my way through the whole book and see if the book can do anything for me. I have a slightly bad attitude toward this, which I'm going to have to work on if I'm going to have any success with this.

So as I mentioned, I'm sort of back to Italian. Not every day, I've just started dipping my toes back in the water. My main issue is that I have to figure out how to rid myself of expectations with this language. With Polish I have no expectations, I know I will never speak this language well and I'm ok with that. As a result, I have a very different attitude toward it. With Italian there's a mountain of expectations fueled by a desire to be a proficient speaker, and it results in some negative feelings toward the language and the grammar. So, my goal for 2019 Italian is: figure out how to rid myself of expectations. I'll read, watch/listen, do a little grammar, and speak when I have time and am in the mood, but I'm not tracking anything or setting any kind of language-specific goals or challenges. I’m not exactly sure how to not have expectations. If anyone has suggestions, I’m all ears!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 pm

I've almost got the second episode of Ultraviolet (in Polish) completely transcribed. Wowee, it is taking a long time. It's equal parts frustrating and enjoying, since the more I do, the easier it gets and the more I understand and can enjoy it. I also started doing some Scriptorium with Polish sentences; I was thinking this was more fancy and complicated than it is. I like it so far, and I hope to continue with it.

This week I've been doing A LOT of reading my novel Szklany Zamek while listening to the audiobook, then just listening to those same chapters of the audiobook without the text multiple times. I'm missing a fair amount when I'm just listening, but I'm understanding enough to follow the plot. The pace of speaking feels more comfortable to me, and the determining factor in how much I understand is whether I recognize/remember the words, not the speed. Baby steps.

I watched a newer Easy Polish video on YT. I haven't watched these videos in a few months. It's street interviews with people in Poland with Polish/English subtitles. My impression when I first started watching the videos last year was that everyone talked so damn fast! When I watched the video today, it felt like everyone was speaking slower. I know that they're not, I'm just more comfortable with the pace. I'm recognizing more and more words from other sources, there are fewer black holes in terms of vocabulary.

I started working on Chapter 3 of the Polish Tutor textbook. Apparently there are seven verb pattern families...uh...I thought there were two! :shock: Yikes, I've been living in a nice little oblivion, I guess. Maybe this explains why I can never quite get a grip on what verb conjugations are supposed to be. I've started some grand designs of making some huge verb pattern family chart on my bedroom wall, like those crazy idea boards that detectives make in TV shows when trying to solve a particularly heinous and difficult crime, and then someone comes to their apartment and realizes how obsessed and crazy they are over the case. :lol:

I'm still too terrified to go back to Anki...I think I might need a scorched earth policy here...just take a flamethrower to it and start from scratch. Either that, or give up on it entirely. I'm not someone who can handle 500 cards due to study...maybe that's normal for other people, but I can only deal with about 20-30 per day and seeing so many piled up is giving me some serious anxiety! :o

In English, I say something "under my breath" but...
In Polish, I say something "under (my) nose" mówić coś pod nosem
*I'm coming across this quite a lot in the Mikołaj stories.
3 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:01 pm

StringerBell wrote:I started working on Chapter 3 of the Polish Tutor textbook. Apparently there are seven verb pattern families...uh...I thought there were two! :shock: Yikes, I've been living in a nice little oblivion, I guess. Maybe this explains why I can never quite get a grip on what verb conjugations are supposed to be. I've started some grand designs of making some huge verb pattern family chart on my bedroom wall, like those crazy idea boards that detectives make in TV shows when trying to solve a particularly heinous and difficult crime, and then someone comes to their apartment and realizes how obsessed and crazy they are over the case. :lol:

We never learn patterns of verbs, at least not at a 'normal' school. We acquire them naturally. Perhaps students of Polish language have to learn them.
Nevertheless, be prepared that the number of exceptions may be quite impressive. I already stated this somewhere (here?) that my children sometimes try to apply pattern where they should use an exception. This probably what awaits you if you learn patterns, not the verbs themselves.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”