Is this picture corresponds to the verb "emit"

General discussion about learning languages
sg2019
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N), French, English

Re: Is this picture corresponds to the verb "emit"

Postby sg2019 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 pm

reineke wrote:That's a sunset/sunrise or simply the sun. You could also evoke shine/shining or even glare.

People and animals emit heat and body fluids.Maybe you need a thermal image of a guy standing behind a dumpster.

What about this image?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

sg2019
White Belt

Postby sg2019 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Deinonysus wrote:
That said, if I saw that picture you posted and it said "By understanding how light is XXXXed by the sun" and I didn't know what XXXXed meant but knew all of the other words, my guesses would be:
  • Give off
  • Radiate
  • Send in all directions
  • Send in lines
  • Shines directly at the camera
  • Make into astar or asterisk shape
  • etc

I think your response was mostly useful as you gave the perspective of a learner. Thank you
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 pm

sg2019 wrote:What about this image, for instance?

No. To me, that image conveys "erupt" or "spew", as in "The volcano is erupting" and "The lava is spewing from the volcano". You would not normally say "The volcano is emitting lava", even though it sort of is emitting lava, but not quite in the sense of emitting radiation or light.
1 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

sg2019
White Belt

Postby sg2019 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:39 pm

tommus wrote:

No. To me, that image conveys "erupt" or "spew", as in "The volcano is erupting" and "The lava is spewing from the volcano". You would not normally say "The volcano is emitting lava", even though it sort of is emitting lava, but not quite in the sense of emitting radiation or light.

Thank you. I understand your point of view, however, let me details the purpose of my inquiry perhaps you would provide a different interpretation.

This is part of an intervention study. I have a video in which target vocabulary occurs which I expect participants to incidentally learn. I would like to calculate the visual frequency to treat it as a fixed effect on word learning. This last image of volcano contiguously occurs with the verbal context of "emitted light", and I think this imagery depicts the meaning of emitted light, that's why I am going to consider it as a frequency. Do you still insist on your previous interpretation, please? This is very important to my research.

Thank you in advance
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm

sg2019 wrote:
What about this image?

Lava. Volcanic activity. Hawaii. The missing tourist.

"Emit" can also be used in connection with financial instruments and odor.

Btw...

Does this picture correspond... Is this picture a good match for ..
Last edited by reineke on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:31 pm

sg2019 wrote:This last image of volcano contiguously occurs with the verbal context of "emitted light", and I think this imagery depicts the meaning of emitted light, that's why I am going to consider it as a frequency. Do you still insist on your previous interpretation, please?

Maybe. If you had a series of images that are meant to convey the idea of 'emitted light', then yes; this image could be part of the series. But by itself, it primarily conveys other meanings, such as volcano, lava, erupt, etc. If you had just the image with the caption 'emit' or 'emitted light', and you expected a person who did not know those words to instantly realise that the image was conveying the concept of light being emitted from the hot lava, then no. That is not the main impression that the image conveys. Better to use a light bulb, or just the sun, or something hot with arrows coming out of it.
2 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

sg2019
White Belt

Postby sg2019 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:57 pm

tommus wrote:Maybe. If you had a series of images that are meant to convey the idea of 'emitted light', then yes; this image could be part of the series. But by itself, it primarily conveys other meanings, such as volcano, lava, erupt, etc. If you had just the image with the caption 'emit' or 'emitted light', and you expected a person who did not know those words to instantly realise that the image was conveying the concept of light being emitted from the hot lava, then no. That is not the main impression that the image conveys. Better to use a light bulb, or just the sun, or something hot with arrows coming out of it.

Thank you so much. Yes it is part of a series since it is a video material. The word emit frequently appears in the video, sometimes with corresponding images sometimes not. I aim to analyse the number of times the verbal visual contiguity occurs as part of my research project, to test this contiguity effect on learning. There are instances, such as these few seconds: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BFpzFtbGefgOo1W_4ip2RRvk-0dERaYh/view?usp=sharing where the series of images PERFECTLY correspond to the meaning of the words. There are times where the meaning is less obvious, however, I intend to consider all contributing visuals regardless of whether the image had as well other meaning candidates next to our visual referent.

I hope my point makes sense? As in the viva, the examiners will question these decisions :oops:
1 x

sg2019
White Belt

Postby sg2019 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:18 pm

reineke wrote:That's a sunset/sunrise or simply the sun. You could also evoke shine/shining or even glare.

People and animals emit heat and body fluids.Maybe you need a thermal image of a guy standing behind a dumpster.

Indeed I have in the video images of Thermography and I considered them whenever the word "emit" appears. However, thermal images occurred as well in instances where another target word "spectrum" appears. Do you think that thermal images corresponds to meaning of spectrum as well, please?
0 x

Tne328
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (B1)

Postby Tne328 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 pm

I think a right understanding of the word "emit" can come from the Latin etymology "ex-" (out, away) + "mitto, mittere" (to send). http://latindictionary.wikidot.com/verb:mittere
(Not related to buying.)
"Emit" meaning "to send out" is a clear concrete definition that is equally applicable to the sun sending out light, a radio tower sending out a signal, a volcano sending out lava, or an object or person giving off molecules of odor. I think the initial image could be used, but might be better if the rays of light stood out more. I hope this helps!
1 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:12 am

I'm afraid the verb emit is not often used to describe what a volcano does to lava either. We would say that the lava emits light or heat...

I think most verbs, except those describing the simplest actions, just can't have a visual definition, they don't make much sense without a subject and an object, so you'd have to add captions to the images for them to be understood.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”